A Sit Down With DJ Tujamo
Tujamo is a German-born Producer and DJ, ranked on the #78 spot of the DJ Mag Top 100 DJs list. He is best known for his remixes of artists such as Bob Sinclar, Dubvision, Major Lazer, Laidback Luke, Deadmau5, Showtek, Martin Solveig and David Guetta, collaborations such as "Delirious" (with Steve Aoki & Chris Lake), "Cream" (with Danny Avila), as well as his tracks "Drop That Low", "One On One", and "Booty Bounce".
"I draw inspiration from all different genres and artists, and I always try to keep my finger on the pulse by being innovative, but true to my trademark style."
You are a German-born producer and DJ, ranked on the #78 spot of the DJ Mag Top 100 DJs list. How did you get in touch with electronic dance music in the first place and how did you get into DJing and music production?
I started DJing as a hobby when I was in my early teens. Back then Id always been massively influenced by artists like Laidback Luke, who made me excited about dance music. But it was my girlfriend that took the leap of faith for me when she entered me into a DJing competition. I was really reluctant at first, but in the end I went... and I ended up bagging first place! That was actually a really huge moment for me, it made me realise that I wanted to take DJing from a hobby and turn it into a professional venture, so I started honing my skills creatively and producing my own music.
How would you describe your sound to someone whose never heard you before?
You know, Im not actually sure. It can be hard to try and describe something like this when you are so close to it. I just know that I spend a lot of studio time trying to make my music sound like Tujamo, and not like someone else. In music that can be one of the hardest aspects, but its something that you really need to try to do as a producer.
All of them mean something to me. I spend so much time making them.
Congratulations on your "One On One featuring Sorana" release. Can you tell us more about it?
Thank you! The track has been getting an amazing response, we put the video up on YouTube and it hit 1,000,000 views in 24 hours! About the record, I wanted to take my signature sound and push myself to create more of a song rather than just a club track. I really loved the process and I am planning to do this more in the future. There will be plenty of new music from me soon
If you could work with any artist on a track, who would you choose and why?
I would want Michael Jackson to write something with me. Every time I hear his music it just overwhelms me how good it sounds, even his first albums. If I listen to my stuff from when I started, even with the technology involved and then think about how they made music back in the days, how tedious the process of recording and arranging was. I have the biggest respect for the music that was born back then and the quality it had, even 30-40 years later.
Is there a particular person you share your tracks with before you send out the finished product?
The first person that gets a new track or even rough snippets is my manager. I prefer to get real objective feedback. We work really closely together, so he knows exactly whats good for me. I also like to send it to my friends, but nice as they are, they always tell me, "Damn, bro, it's huuuuuuge!" As much as this flatters me, it's not really helping me.
As a German DJ, do you find that there is any rivalry between German DJs and Dutch DJs?
No, we are neighbors so we are more like a team. We always support each other and its not a big competition, its more like team work.
What are you currently working and focusing on? Whats on your agenda for the near future?
Ive just released a remix of David Guetta and Justin Biebers 2U. I remember hearing the track on the radio when I was on the road between shows and it stuck with me, I loved the vocal! As soon as I got into the studio I put pen to paper and started reworking it. I love being in the studio and Im always starting something fresh, so I have a super busy schedule lined up for the coming months.
Is there a hobby or skill youd like to master?
If I had the time, Id go back to my hobby of skateboarding, which I used to do about 10 years ago. That was a great time.
If you weren`t a DJ, what would you be doing?
Working with disabled people. I did that for 9 months in Germany. You have to choose between something social or going into army. I worked in villages with disabled people. I fell in love with this job, so I would do something social.
Advice for someone who wants to follow in your footsteps?
Find something of your own, dont copy someone else. Theres already a Hardwell, an Armin, a Diplo. Everyone makes the same sh*t that made them famous. Take risks, do whatever you want, make it unique. Its hard to do, since theres so much out there, but thats the most important thing. Keep focusing on producing music, and not on playing a lot. One song can change your whole life.
- 24.03.2019 MIGOS AND DJ MUSTARD TAKE OVER A WAREHOUSE
- 24.03.2019 SOMEONE ASKED BEBE REXHA TO COVER HER STRETCH MARKS
- 07.03.2019 Rita Ora channels Britney Spears as she shows downfall
- 28.02.2019 Ryan Adams guitarist Todd Wisenbacker
- 28.02.2019 Jenny Lewis is deeply troubled by Ryan Adams sexual misconduct allegations
- 07.03.2019 Red Hot Chili Peppers Flea entertains crowd with handstands
- 28.02.2019 Lady Gaga slept through Oscar nomination announcement
- 28.02.2019 Can We Please Talk About Katy Perry's Engagement Ring?
- 19.02.2019 Sam Smith Is Reclaiming His "Curves" And Fighting "The Fuck Back"
- 07.03.2019 Mariah Carey Thought The Chainsmokers Were One Direction
- 19.02.2019 Ciara's New Song "Greatest Love" Is Perfect And Really Personal
- 28.02.2019 Pornhub Released A Valentine's Day Album, And It's Not Great
- 07.03.2019 BLACKPINK Finally Has Tour Dates Across North America
- 18.02.2019 Emma Stone & Haim Recreated Spice Girls Video
- 18.02.2019 Maren Morris Holds Her Head High In New GIRL Video
- 28.02.2019 Teyana Taylors Ballroom Take On Cinderella
- 28.02.2019 Bebe Rexha Calls Out Designers
- 28.02.2019 Chris Brown Plans To Sue Rape Accuser For Defamation
- 26.01.2019 Missy Elliott, John Prine, Yusuf/Cat Stevens Among 2019 Songwriters
- 26.01.2019 Justin Timberlake Surprises Atlanta Crowd With T.I.
Back to news