Supreme Court Won't Hear Appeal in Capitol Records Vs Vimeo Copyright Dispute
The ruling said websites are protected from liability for inadvertently hosting music recorded before 1972.
The Supreme Court won't hear an appeal from record companies that want to pursue copyright infringement claims against music site Vimeo for hosting unauthorized recordings from the Beatles, Elvis Presley and other classic artists.
The justices on Monday left in place a federal appeals court ruling that said websites are protected from liability even for older music recorded before 1972.
Capitol Records and other music companies sued Vimeo for violating copyright laws based on 199 videos uploaded by users. A federal judge ruled a federal "safe harbor" law did not cover pre-1972 recordings that are protected by state law.
But a New York federal appeals court overturned that ruling, saying service providers would incur heavy costs to monitor every posting or risk "crushing liabilities" under state law.
- 24.03.2019 MIGOS AND DJ MUSTARD TAKE OVER A WAREHOUSE
- 24.03.2019 SOMEONE ASKED BEBE REXHA TO COVER HER STRETCH MARKS
- 07.03.2019 Rita Ora channels Britney Spears as she shows downfall
- 28.02.2019 Ryan Adams guitarist Todd Wisenbacker
- 28.02.2019 Jenny Lewis is deeply troubled by Ryan Adams sexual misconduct allegations
- 07.03.2019 Red Hot Chili Peppers Flea entertains crowd with handstands
- 28.02.2019 Lady Gaga slept through Oscar nomination announcement
- 28.02.2019 Can We Please Talk About Katy Perry's Engagement Ring?
- 19.02.2019 Sam Smith Is Reclaiming His "Curves" And Fighting "The Fuck Back"
- 07.03.2019 Mariah Carey Thought The Chainsmokers Were One Direction
- 19.02.2019 Ciara's New Song "Greatest Love" Is Perfect And Really Personal
- 28.02.2019 Pornhub Released A Valentine's Day Album, And It's Not Great
- 07.03.2019 BLACKPINK Finally Has Tour Dates Across North America
- 18.02.2019 Emma Stone & Haim Recreated Spice Girls Video
- 18.02.2019 Maren Morris Holds Her Head High In New GIRL Video
- 28.02.2019 Teyana Taylors Ballroom Take On Cinderella
- 28.02.2019 Bebe Rexha Calls Out Designers
- 28.02.2019 Chris Brown Plans To Sue Rape Accuser For Defamation
- 26.01.2019 Missy Elliott, John Prine, Yusuf/Cat Stevens Among 2019 Songwriters
- 26.01.2019 Justin Timberlake Surprises Atlanta Crowd With T.I.
Back to news