Supreme Court Won't Hear Appeal in Capitol Records Vs Vimeo Copyright Dispute
The ruling said websites are protected from liability for inadvertently hosting music recorded before 1972.
The Supreme Court won't hear an appeal from record companies that want to pursue copyright infringement claims against music site Vimeo for hosting unauthorized recordings from the Beatles, Elvis Presley and other classic artists.
The justices on Monday left in place a federal appeals court ruling that said websites are protected from liability even for older music recorded before 1972.
Capitol Records and other music companies sued Vimeo for violating copyright laws based on 199 videos uploaded by users. A federal judge ruled a federal "safe harbor" law did not cover pre-1972 recordings that are protected by state law.
But a New York federal appeals court overturned that ruling, saying service providers would incur heavy costs to monitor every posting or risk "crushing liabilities" under state law.
- 18.02.2019 Emma Stone & Haim Recreated Spice Girls Video
- 18.02.2019 Maren Morris Holds Her Head High In New GIRL Video
- 26.01.2019 Missy Elliott, John Prine, Yusuf/Cat Stevens Among 2019 Songwriters
- 26.01.2019 Justin Timberlake Surprises Atlanta Crowd With T.I.
- 25.01.2019 Kelly Rowland Talks 2019 Album
- 14.01.2019 NFL Confirms Maroon 5, Travis Scott & Big Boi to Perform at Super Bowl
- 25.01.2019 Demi Lovato Responds to Rumors About Her Recovery
- 14.01.2019 GRLwood Serves Up Kentucky Fried Queer Punk
- 23.01.2019 Miley Cyrus Updated The Santa Baby Lyrics For The
- 14.01.2019 JoJo Re-Recorded Her Debut Album
- 14.01.2019 Nicki Minaj Is Being Compared To Lil Kim In New Vogue
- 09.01.2019 Two Beyoncé Albums Were Leaked On Spotify
- 23.01.2019 The Biggest Music Releases To Get Excited About In 2019
- 09.01.2019 Kathy Griffin Calls Out No Women Among Top-Paid Comedians
- 25.12.2018 Gwen Stefani heading to demo about concert stampede
- 25.12.2018 Jennifer Lopez understands Alex Rodriguez marriage speculation
- 25.12.2018 Megan Fox Thought She Wouldnt Be A Sympathetic Victim For #MeToo
- 25.12.2018 Please Dont Let Miley Cyrus Make Another Hip-Hop Album
- 23.12.2018 Taylor Swift and Joe Alwyn Might Get Engaged Soon
- 23.12.2018 Britney Spears Meets Nine Inch Nails On Betta Lemmes New Track
Back to news