vci 400 master output way too low

Home :: DJ TechTools' VCI-400 FAQ :: vci 400 master output way too lowReply
vci 400 master output way too low
Posted on: 31.03.2012 by Shu Dietiker
Hey Peeps.

I had to notice last evening while DJing and after hookin my VCI EGE that my output level seemed way to low compared to the other djs with some of them playing with controllers and some with cd players. my vci was hooked to an external mixer and on the external mixer my master was also set at the maximum and i was extremely low... I couldnt help it in anyway except to turn the Hi & Mid on the external a little higher in order to get a little more boost

anyone else had this?
Donella Bentch
Little bit confused about Sarah148
Donella Bentch
Donella Bentch
Donella Bentch
Donella Bentch
Shu Dietiker
Originally Posted by viper9711
Now I believe I have the solution. Go to audio / midi setup and select Vestax Vci 400. Check your Master Volume output- is it select to maximum?
DAMN! I totally forgot to check in these settings... its always those minor things. Stupid me...

So perhaps Sarah meant these setings cuz the volume source of Mac cannot influence the output of any audio interface.

THANKS a lot. Works of course. It was set to -12dB which is still kinda awkward but I pushed the volume higher...
Donella Bentch
Shu Dietiker
Originally Posted by Sarah148
On my iMac, the volume control significantly influenced the Vestax output. S4 is regulated differently. Here is no influence to the controllers output !
u say it is regulated differently. explain in detail please as i cannot imagine that the volume of the mac influences the soundcard on the vestax. i have never heard or had a case like this...
Shu Dietiker
Good luck
thnx for your comments viper... i actually tried out what you've told me and although it does not quiet make sense to me I still gave it a shot but didn't really change much.

autogain is on. limiter is on also. head room is off.
headroom is off, so i should be able to play out loud as i want. auto gain is on which is a good thing, keeps all tracks at same level. limiter is on which prevents clipping/distortion.

kinda weird. my master volume on the vci controller was set at 3 o'clock which also sets traktors volume to 3 o'clock too... at 3 o'clock i already get orange and at times red colors which isnt a good sign...

my master goes out into the pioneer. the pioneer track volume is set to 5 o'clock and my volume is at -3dB. i was lucky to able to turn the main amps up...

no one else seems to have this problem.
Shu Dietiker
On my iMac, the volume control significantly influenced the Vestax output. S4 is regulated differently. Here is no influence to the controllers output !
well thnx for the info mate. i will let you know. i will be goin to a gig in a while anyways and will turn the volume up on my mac before choosing my output as vestax. will let you know tomorrow.
Shu Dietiker
What do you use? MAC or Windows
Traktor Main gain: Listen to the yellow and red markers at the Led
Donella Bentch
Shu Dietiker
Originally Posted by donutsdc
Maybe check to see if you have any headroom enabled in Traktor itself? Also check your master gain levels on the VCI-400 EGE. Then again, I could be wrong
What do you mean by headroom? master level of the vci is on the max. the gain on the single channels dont do anything since the master is on the max... in traktor itself the volume is also at max.... also sounds a little distorted... usually through digital volume distortion shouldn't happen but maybe traktor is different... never had this distortion before..

Be sure to turn your Laptop Volume to maximum. Otherwise your master and headphone Volume is to low.
why should i turn the laptop volume to the max? i am using the sound routings through the vci 400 ege which is on max anyways. and since the volume runs through the vci it wouldnt matter whether the volume from the laptop is higher...
Shu Dietiker
Hey Peeps.

I had to notice last evening while DJing and after hookin my VCI EGE that my output level seemed way to low compared to the other djs with some of them playing with controllers and some with cd players. my vci was hooked to an external mixer and on the external mixer my master was also set at the maximum and i was extremely low... I couldnt help it in anyway except to turn the Hi & Mid on the external a little higher in order to get a little more boost

anyone else had this?
Donella Bentch
Shu Dietiker
Now I believe I have the solution. Go to audio / midi setup and select Vestax Vci 400. Check your Master Volume output- is it select to maximum?
DAMN! I totally forgot to check in these settings... its always those minor things. Stupid me...

So perhaps Sarah meant these setings cuz the volume source of Mac cannot influence the output of any audio interface.

THANKS a lot. Works of course. It was set to -12dB which is still kinda awkward but I pushed the volume higher...
Donella Bentch
Donella Bentch
Shu Dietiker
Originally Posted by Sarah148
u say it is regulated differently. explain in detail please as i cannot imagine that the volume of the mac influences the soundcard on the vestax. i have never heard or had a case like this...
Shu Dietiker
Good luck
thnx for your comments viper... i actually tried out what you've told me and although it does not quiet make sense to me I still gave it a shot but didn't really change much.

autogain is on. limiter is on also. head room is off.
headroom is off, so i should be able to play out loud as i want. auto gain is on which is a good thing, keeps all tracks at same level. limiter is on which prevents clipping/distortion.

kinda weird. my master volume on the vci controller was set at 3 o'clock which also sets traktors volume to 3 o'clock too... at 3 o'clock i already get orange and at times red colors which isnt a good sign...

my master goes out into the pioneer. the pioneer track volume is set to 5 o'clock and my volume is at -3dB. i was lucky to able to turn the main amps up...

no one else seems to have this problem.
Donella Bentch
Good luck
Shu Dietiker
well thnx for the info mate. i will let you know. i will be goin to a gig in a while anyways and will turn the volume up on my mac before choosing my output as vestax. will let you know tomorrow.
Donella Bentch
Shu Dietiker
i have auto gain on. and always had it for the past years. it helps automatically gain the level to each track... but auto gain doesnt seem to be the problem. if i manually turn the gain up on each single deck, and additionally go down or up with the master doesnt really change. i tried that yesterday at my gig.

i know which volume setting you mean... it just popped now to my head... the headroom. but the values are set to "none".
Kimberlee Bosel
There is an option in Traktor preferences that sets the volume at a lower level automatically to prevent clipping. It has values of 0dB, -3dB, -6dB, etc. Also check if Traktor automatically sets gain levels in accordance to the song, that may be the issue. I'm not around my normal laptop right now so I can't take a screen shot
Shu Dietiker
Donella Bentch
Shu Dietiker
Originally Posted by donutsdc
Maybe check to see if you have any headroom enabled in Traktor itself? Also check your master gain levels on the VCI-400 EGE. Then again, I could be wrong
What do you mean by headroom? master level of the vci is on the max. the gain on the single channels dont do anything since the master is on the max... in traktor itself the volume is also at max.... also sounds a little distorted... usually through digital volume distortion shouldn't happen but maybe traktor is different... never had this distortion before..

Be sure to turn your Laptop Volume to maximum. Otherwise your master and headphone Volume is to low.
why should i turn the laptop volume to the max? i am using the sound routings through the vci 400 ege which is on max anyways. and since the volume runs through the vci it wouldnt matter whether the volume from the laptop is higher...
Kimberlee Bosel
Donella Bentch

<< Back to DJ TechTools' VCI-400 FAQReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy