Latency Question

Home :: DJ TechTools' VCI-400 FAQ :: Latency QuestionReply
Latency Question
Posted on: 26.03.2012 by Jc Dobos
I was reading that the 400 was having latency problems for Windows users, but that there would some sort of new firmware, or update from Vestax to fix this. Is that available and does it conflict at all the the Ean Golden firmware?
I am believeing about getting one of these but I am a Windows user, so anyone have advice on whether i should do it or go for S2 and F1 when it comes out.
Haha also anyone know if the F1 will be able to have a page mapped to some thing Midi Fighers Instant Grat? Cause that would be super dope
Kenneth Mebrahtu
Originally Posted by Funky B
10ms and below is the magic number for me. If I could get down that low I'd keep my computer for another 5 years...
How fast is your pc? Mine is 5 years old but I had to blow a whole lot of dust out of the heat sink and put it on variable cpu speed to allow it to be cool enough to run the vci with 10ms latency.

While variable cpu speed seems counter intuitive forcing it to go 100% clock all the time overheated it and the bios kept cutting the cpu speed to 700mhz to cool it down - which of course just resulted in overruns and horrible sound and me believeing i needed gigantic buffer sizes.

A lot of dust builds up in them over 5 years so they do get harder to keep running at original spec.

What buffer settings are you using in the driver?
Jc Dobos
I was reading that the 400 was having latency problems for Windows users, but that there would some sort of new firmware, or update from Vestax to fix this. Is that available and does it conflict at all the the Ean Golden firmware?
I am believeing about getting one of these but I am a Windows user, so anyone have advice on whether i should do it or go for S2 and F1 when it comes out.
Haha also anyone know if the F1 will be able to have a page mapped to some thing Midi Fighers Instant Grat? Cause that would be super dope
Nicola Oatts
god i thought mines was bad at 13.6ms
Dessie Vizcaino
I'm trying to decide between the S4 and the VCI-400. There's a lot of information on both of these online, but the vast majority of it comes from old posts. I plan to use Traktor with a windows laptop. I've just read about the latency problems with the VCI-400 and windows, but it seems a lot of time has passed and Vestax has not resolved this matter at all. Am I missing something?
Jonie Felgar
Very True, if you map correctly the scratching is very responsive. I use xp on my laptop (sucks I know, but its triple boot with osx and vista so I dont wanna mess with it just now) and what i tend to do is set traktors affinity to the second core and set priority to high, then using standard settings have 9.8 ms response with absolutely no popping.

in my experience scratching seems to push the load into red way more than anything else I can do (four decks with effects and key lock seems less stressful than two decks one of which is being scratched)
Kittie Aitchison
When I refer to sound artifacts I'm talking about the buffer not able to fill. In this case the buffer was not able to be refilled and the sound did not recover. In asynchronous USB mode the audio stream is sent over USB in one direction to the controller and the clock is mostly controlled by the vci-400. This helps alleviate most buffering issues due to your CPU, but if your system is overheating then you will have issues. My issue was more likely due to the driver or firmware because the CPU was not getting taxed - but I can't be sure. I can be sure that the setting was not on safe so Vestax was clear there may possibly be an issue.
Kenneth Mebrahtu
i don't believe the buffer runs dry right?... since its just the packet size that gets sent back and forth to the controller every however many ms your latency is...

Or is it? I could be completely wrong on that.

Yeah I need to do some tests when that happens. If that happens on my machine my first thought is CPU overheating.
Its definitely something reported by a few users though. Could be any number of weird things. Like some service windows or something runs that only happens every couple of hours... like if it decides to start indexing stuff...

But if I was playing music with this and not geeking out on all the possible things to map buttons to maybe I would notice this more
Kittie Aitchison
I just had an issue when playing for 1.5 hrs with the low usb streaming setting. Artifacts appeared - the buffer must have run dry. Next up is standard at 9.8ms with a restart and no running programs. Mac users must have almost no latency and spending their time playing music rather then with the settings because none have reported their latency...
Kittie Aitchison
For my post above I was set on safe. I had a chance to play around with the different modes today and ended with some great results. Minimum latency gives an output of 1ms and introduces lots of small artifacts on slow drags. Minimum gives me a final latency of 6.8ms and would not be usable on any signifigantly amplified system or recording but you can mess around with it. Low and standard bring me down to 7.8 and 9.8ms and have very similar results for me. On slow drags I would get artifacts on a rare occasion but nobody would ever notice this at the club (I remember playing vinyl on large systems that sounded much worse than this.) I was so happy with the low setting that I didn't bother checking relaxed or extra safe. I assume both introduce more latency with less artifacts. With the low setting scratching is possible (s4 is better but you can scratch on the 400.) These settings show off the vci-400s studio grade USB streaming mode and how it offers more headroom and more flexibility. Big kudos to Vestax for developing such a great controller!
Kenneth Mebrahtu
What is your USB Streaming Mode set to?

I get 21.8 ms with 256 samples and "Safe" for the streaming mode.

"Safe" is the default i believe but lower options have a big impact on latency.
Kittie Aitchison
I was able to get set the buffer size down to 256 samples today without any artifacts! This got me down to 21.8 ms of latency which is useable.
Processor speed does not translate to latency. Hardware, software and and how the hardware talks to the os (driver) all determine the lowest useable buffer size.
Merry Piesik
I also have questions about the latency but am a Mac user. I have a new (within 1 year) fully loaded MBP. What do any MBP users have their overall latency set at?
Kenneth Mebrahtu
Originally Posted by Funky B
10ms and below is the magic number for me. If I could get down that low I'd keep my computer for another 5 years...
How fast is your pc? Mine is 5 years old but I had to blow a whole lot of dust out of the heat sink and put it on variable cpu speed to allow it to be cool enough to run the vci with 10ms latency.

While variable cpu speed seems counter intuitive forcing it to go 100% clock all the time overheated it and the bios kept cutting the cpu speed to 700mhz to cool it down - which of course just resulted in overruns and horrible sound and me believeing i needed gigantic buffer sizes.

A lot of dust builds up in them over 5 years so they do get harder to keep running at original spec.

What buffer settings are you using in the driver?
Kittie Aitchison
Kenneth Mebrahtu
I have 10ms latency (standard/256) on Win7 with a dual 2ghz Core1 laptop. This allows me to have all 4 tracks going and every fx channel on and filter on.. which i would never actually do in reality so maybe I'll gi back to the drivers and reduce the latency at some point.

This is on a stock 400

Win 7 sp1 has an important fix for usb audio and cpu usage - though most people have that by now.
Kittie Aitchison
I've got windows 7 down to 39ms with dpc latency checker and drivers from laptopvideo2go.com (use at your own risk) with my EGE. 39ms is too much latency but I'm planning on picking up a MacBook pro when the refresh should happen in a few months. What are Mac users able to obtain for latency with their 400s?
Rheba Laughinghouse
It's working fine on my Windows 7 at home, I believe around 60ms latency. (EGE Edition) My guess is that the EGE is updated to the current Vestax firmware as a base?

I only hope that the EGE is quickly updated to the new firmware when the external mixing update comes through.

<< Back to DJ TechTools' VCI-400 FAQReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy