New firmware Midifighter-20101029

Home :: MIDIfighter Resources and Discussion :: New firmware Midifighter-20101029Reply
New firmware Midifighter-20101029
Posted on: 29.10.2010 by robert chanda
For those who know how to reflash their Midifighter, we have a new firmware available on Sourceforge:

Features:
  • Fourbanks mode is enabled.
  • Analog inputs are now smart faders.
  • Faster and more robust Analog debouncing.
  • Digital and Analog note messages move with the MIDI basenote.
  • Digital inputs no longer require a pull-up resistor.
  • Menu mode will disallow invalid values, making it safer to use.
  • Updated internals to the latest LUFA 101122 version, using the High Level MIDI Drivers.

See the README.txt file in the source code zipfile for more as I start updating the reference pages in this community to reflect the latest features. Please report functionality issues here and I'll fix them as soon as I can.

EDIT 2010-11-01: Fixed an issue with EEPROM values not being saved correctly. Please get a fresh copy of the .hex file from Sourceforge.
robert chanda
Originally Posted by musick
Got you, and by the way is there anyway you could delve a little deeper on what this update did?
It's all there in the OP. The big update is fourbanks mode which you can enable using the Menu system (second row, first item). People who have added knobs or sliders to their midifighter will now have "smart knobs" that send out several MIDI messages for each movement, plus they will have much smoother MIDI messages as they alter their CCs (no bouncing between two values). People adding more keys to their midifighter using the digital inputs won't need to use a resistor anymore, just connect the input to ground through a switch.

I need to push the documentation updates to this board I guess.
robert chanda
-edit- i downloaded the wrong hex files, i just clicked on the first green download logo I saw, for those who are going to flash make sure to scroll down the download page and download the hex file with the latest date on it.
Oops! There, fixed that. Still a bit "fingers and thumbs" with Sourceforge.
Lorelei Przybylowicz
Originally Posted by Systemattik
I would recommend doing it on PC as the method is much more straight forward on that. (That's what friends are for if you don't happen to have a PC inhouse)

Here's a link to a thread with detailed instructions how to do it on PC. You need to download Atmel Flip software & it's as easy as 1 2 3.

http://www.djranking s.com/community /showthread.php?t=11511

I did this after losing my patience figuring out how Terminal on mac works...

I hope this helps. : )

M
There are programs such as Wine that let you run Windows programs in OSX and also Parallels etc but not quite sure if they'd work too well with seeing the hardware the way Windows would see it.

There must be a way to do it using that Mac program if it can flash the firmware then it must be able to read it ....
Evangeline Abraha
Originally Posted by djproben
is there a way to read the hex with a mac?

I would recommend doing it on PC as the method is much more straight forward on that. (That's what friends are for if you don't happen to have a PC inhouse)

Here's a link to a thread with detailed instructions how to do it on PC. You need to download Atmel Flip software & it's as easy as 1 2 3.

M
robert chanda
I can make the MF restart by connecting +5v to Ground but connecting +5v to ground through a resistor won't reset the machine, it'll just waste energy. The circuit for a digital input switch has changed to just connect the pin to ground through a switch so there's no need to involve +5 at all if you're not using analog inputs.

That's my guess.
Cammy Jiles
interesting thing for me.
i updated last evening (i'm pretty sure it worked because i seem to be able to use 4 banks, i haven't tried mapping it but the 4 top lights change when i press the buttons) but today when i went to add some digital buttons, the midi-fighter would crash and restart. but, when using a resistor as per earlier versions it works perfectly.

not really a problem for me, but interesting to note
robert chanda
The new batch of 500 all have the latest firmware.
If you can enter fourbanks mode, you've got the latest!
Yee Bedilion
if i just purchased my midi fighter this doesnt need to go down does it? I have 1 and 2 of this 500
robert chanda
Got you, and by the way is there anyway you could delve a little deeper on what this update did?
It's all there in the OP. The big update is fourbanks mode which you can enable using the Menu system (second row, first item). People who have added knobs or sliders to their midifighter will now have "smart knobs" that send out several MIDI messages for each movement, plus they will have much smoother MIDI messages as they alter their CCs (no bouncing between two values). People adding more keys to their midifighter using the digital inputs won't need to use a resistor anymore, just connect the input to ground through a switch.

I need to push the documentation updates to this board I guess.
Eulah Tamkin
Got you, and by the way is there anyway you could delve a little deeper on what this update did? I sort of don't understand. sorry for the inconvienence
robert chanda
-edit- i downloaded the wrong hex files, i just clicked on the first green download logo I saw, for those who are going to flash make sure to scroll down the download page and download the hex file with the latest date on it.
Oops! There, fixed that. Still a bit "fingers and thumbs" with Sourceforge.
Eulah Tamkin
I just reflashed my Midi Fighter but the when i plug it in the top 3 lights are a quick dim flash, this states that i have an old firmware.. but i just reflashed it.. any ideas?

Berniece Savi
brilliant thanks!
Danae Dumler
Well I flashed my VCI using parallels on the mac so I believe I can probably do the windows stuff for this one using that too, but I'd prefer using Terminal so I'm going to try that route first.
Lorelei Przybylowicz
Originally Posted by Systemattik

M
There are programs such as Wine that let you run Windows programs in OSX and also Parallels etc but not quite sure if they'd work too well with seeing the hardware the way Windows would see it.

There must be a way to do it using that Mac program if it can flash the firmware then it must be able to read it ....
Evangeline Abraha
Originally Posted by djproben

M
Randal Biza
Great work! Thank you for the new firmware!
Danae Dumler
Well I'm about to travel for a couple weeks and won't have time to mess with the midifighter so hopefully by the time I get back someone will have a better answer If not I will mess around in terminal and see if I can figure it out. It's really weird, it was working before but a little flaky and then suddenly it was giving no response at all, now the upper left light is all I get every time I plug it in.
Lorelei Przybylowicz
I'm guessing that you need to use the same program that we've used to flash the MF and the first line of the Terminal Coding is:

Code:
dfu-programmer at90usb162 erase &&
Then there must be an option to

Code:
dfu-programmer at90usb162 "extract" or "backup" or something
I've just gone a quick search and can't find a command list for dfu-programmer and I'm on a PC at work and my mac is at home. Could someone try to find the command list - try

Code:
dfu-programmer ?

or

dfu-programmer --help
Or something in Terminal?
Adolf Hit
There must be I just dont know how

Limey?
Danae Dumler
Adolf Hit
Hey

All you will need to do is reflash it using the jumper method outlined in my sticky.

If you can could you try reading the HEX from the device before you update it?

Im very keen to get my hands on the corrupted code to see if it gives me and Robin any clues as to why this happens.
Danae Dumler
So I've got a MIDI Fighter that just stopped working. Light on the upper left button turns on when it's plugged in and just stays on no matter what else I do. Will flashing the new firmware likely cure this or is there some other magic I need to perform first? Thanks for all your work on this!
Evangeline Abraha
New firmware installed & looking forward to using 4 banks mode : ) Super Sweet !!
Lorelei Przybylowicz
Originally Posted by Fatlimey
Check the update, fixed a single character booboo in the code.
Fatlimey - thanks for the new FirmWare - just flashed it fine on a Mac but will do some heavy testing when it's not 2am on a week evening !

Just a quick one - can I offer a minor suggestion for the Mac Install method? I've recently moved over to OSX from Windows and learning my way around it. One thing that I found very useful is that you can drag and drop a file into Terminal and it will write the full path to the file in Terminal for you. I used this in the 3rd line of Step f of the Mac install - I copied the line from the text file into Terminal, then deleted the last part "midifighter.hex" and dragged and dropped the hex file into terminal then hit enter.

It's just a minor thing but it would mean that someone could do the whole OSX flash method without any knowledge of Terminal Codes - just copy and paste and one drag and drop.

Anyways - if you chose not to update the install method I won't take it personally but I thought I'd offer my 2 cents!

Thanks again for the new firmware and I look forward to that new Menu Mode!
robert chanda

Check the update, fixed a single character booboo in the code.
Lorelei Przybylowicz
Sick news - will flash it later.
Shirlee Depiazza
Fresh, top work Fatlimey!
Are the digital inputs "fixed" so they don't need a resistor now?
Adolf Hit
dope - will try this out asap!

<< Back to MIDIfighter Resources and DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy