DIY Midi-Fighter Project

Home :: MIDIfighter Resources and Discussion :: DIY Midi-Fighter ProjectReply
DIY Midi-Fighter Project
Posted on: 29.12.2010 by Janetta Mirocha
Hi everybody,
I'm a musical programmation student here in Milan (Italy) and my brother (CionniAsDj in this community ) started me to this site.
As he uses a VCI-100 we just upgraded the firmwire and put the 8 arcade buttons and now I was believeing about building a DIY Midi-Fighter.
My first thought was to use a simple gamepad as oskars did and to interface it to a computer program in order to convert the signals into MIDI data but as the program needs to run in the background I wondered about the latency problems that solution may presents, so I thought about using an Arduino board and a MIDItoUSB cable as shown here, because Arduino outputs to the PC are recognized as Serial data.
This should provide a good solution, but I'm not completely sure about it, so I'm asking for opinions and suggestions.
I like it because I can potentially use any USB device I want changing the TSI files properly.
Thank you for the help,
Alberto.
Marnie Molzon
Originally Posted by mr.drumer.boy
in traktor pro yoiu wouldnt need programes running in the background if you used a HID USB game pad. wont it ?
You need to convert the HID input to MIDI output, which requires conversion software. I've tested it, and what I played around with didn't seem to lag, though I haven't tested loop/sample/cue triggering.
Marnie Molzon
Originally Posted by tekkon
...everything a USB/Midi device needs...
It will be just as soon as they support encoders.
robert chanda
Originally Posted by AlbertoJ
...but as I wrote in the first post the computer doesn't recognize the arduino's outputs as MIDIdata so I'd need a software running in the background or a conversion chip to add to the arduino (Hope I explain myself clearly and that I haven't misunderstood your reply).
Go back and read what I wrote:

http://www.freetronics.com/blogs/new...e-implications
Janetta Mirocha
Originally Posted by Fatlimey
It's a little advanced, but the Arduino Uno has a tiny chip running the USB connection that can be reprogrammed to present the arduino as a USB-MIDI device. It uses the same USB libraries as the Midifighter.

Maybe someone has a page out there on how to do it.
Yep, I've already thought about using the arduino as a USB-MIDI device but as I wrote in the first post the computer doesn't recognize the arduino's outputs as MIDIdata so I'd need a software running in the background or a conversion chip to add to the arduino (Hope I explain myself clearly and that I haven't misunderstood your reply).
I'll see what to do, now I'm also believeing about using an USB keypad but first I need to understand how to change the keyboard's buttons with some arcade ones.
Thank you for your help, you're very kind
Janetta Mirocha
How are you planning on controlling the LEDs? Also, look at using a teensyduino board for your CPU. It's a buy more raw but much cheaper.
Still got no solutions for the LEDs, actually. Haven't thought about them at all.

I've just seen this teensy board and it looks quite interesting, even if I was believeing about the arduino because I've got an Arduino Uno still unused (Italian board, no shipping costs, so I got one for 26USD).
Main question is: Is arduino/teensy really neccessary or the latency using a PC program is low enough to bypass all the external conversion stuff?
Thank you for your reply, anyway
Janetta Mirocha
Hi everybody,
I'm a musical programmation student here in Milan (Italy) and my brother (CionniAsDj in this community ) started me to this site.
As he uses a VCI-100 we just upgraded the firmwire and put the 8 arcade buttons and now I was believeing about building a DIY Midi-Fighter.
My first thought was to use a simple gamepad as oskars did and to interface it to a computer program in order to convert the signals into MIDI data but as the program needs to run in the background I wondered about the latency problems that solution may presents, so I thought about using an Arduino board and a MIDItoUSB cable as shown here, because Arduino outputs to the PC are recognized as Serial data.
This should provide a good solution, but I'm not completely sure about it, so I'm asking for opinions and suggestions.
I like it because I can potentially use any USB device I want changing the TSI files properly.
Thank you for the help,
Alberto.
Marnie Molzon
Originally Posted by mr.drumer.boy
in traktor pro yoiu wouldnt need programes running in the background if you used a HID USB game pad. wont it ?
You need to convert the HID input to MIDI output, which requires conversion software. I've tested it, and what I played around with didn't seem to lag, though I haven't tested loop/sample/cue triggering.
Marva Cupid
Marnie Molzon
Originally Posted by tekkon
...everything a USB/Midi device needs...
It will be just as soon as they support encoders.
Elton Rackley
Livid Instruments make a really nice CPU called the "Brain". Its everything a USB/Midi device needs but they aint cheap.

http://www.lividinstruments.com/hardware_builder.php
robert chanda
Originally Posted by AlbertoJ
...but as I wrote in the first post the computer doesn't recognize the arduino's outputs as MIDIdata so I'd need a software running in the background or a conversion chip to add to the arduino (Hope I explain myself clearly and that I haven't misunderstood your reply).
Go back and read what I wrote:

http://www.freetronics.com/blogs/new...e-implications
Janetta Mirocha
It's a little advanced, but the Arduino Uno has a tiny chip running the USB connection that can be reprogrammed to present the arduino as a USB-MIDI device. It uses the same USB libraries as the Midifighter.

Yep, I've already thought about using the arduino as a USB-MIDI device but as I wrote in the first post the computer doesn't recognize the arduino's outputs as MIDIdata so I'd need a software running in the background or a conversion chip to add to the arduino (Hope I explain myself clearly and that I haven't misunderstood your reply).
I'll see what to do, now I'm also believeing about using an USB keypad but first I need to understand how to change the keyboard's buttons with some arcade ones.
Thank you for your help, you're very kind
robert chanda

Janetta Mirocha
How are you planning on controlling the LEDs? Also, look at using a teensyduino board for your CPU. It's a buy more raw but much cheaper.
Still got no solutions for the LEDs, actually. Haven't thought about them at all.

I've just seen this teensy board and it looks quite interesting, even if I was believeing about the arduino because I've got an Arduino Uno still unused (Italian board, no shipping costs, so I got one for 26USD).
Main question is: Is arduino/teensy really neccessary or the latency using a PC program is low enough to bypass all the external conversion stuff?
Thank you for your reply, anyway
robert chanda
How are you planning on controlling the LEDs? Also, look at using a teensyduino board for your CPU. It's a bit more raw but much cheaper.

<< Back to MIDIfighter Resources and DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy