Rotary Encoder on MF

Rotary Encoder on MF
Posted on: 23.02.2011 by Neva Hoppenrath
three questions

1. will these Panasonic EVQ-WTEF2515B Mechanical Rotary Encoders work with the midi-fighter?

2. will the encoder and the switch work

3. if they do work is it posable to use 16 of them? because i want to make a midi-fighter with all of these instead of buttons

here are the details:
The EVQ-WTEF2515B rotary encoder by Panasonic features a shaft rotation angle: 360
Neva Hoppenrath
three questions

1. will these Panasonic EVQ-WTEF2515B Mechanical Rotary Encoders work with the midi-fighter?

3. if they do work is it posable to use 16 of them? because i want to make a midi-fighter with all of these instead of buttons

here are the details:
The EVQ-WTEF2515B rotary encoder by Panasonic features a shaft rotation angle: 360
Neva Hoppenrath
three questions

here are the details:
Neva Hoppenrath
three questions

here are the details:
Neva Hoppenrath
three questions

here are the details:
Neva Hoppenrath
three questions

here are the details:
Neva Hoppenrath
three questions

here are the details:
Neva Hoppenrath
three questions

here are the details:
Neva Hoppenrath
three questions

here are the details:
Neva Hoppenrath
three questions

here are the details:
Neva Hoppenrath
three questions

here are the details:
Neva Hoppenrath
three questions

here are the details:
Neva Hoppenrath
three questions

here are the details:
Neva Hoppenrath
three questions

here are the details:
Neva Hoppenrath
in your opinion what would be the best DIY midi board for me to use. Here is pretty much what i am looking to do:

- i am looking to control all 4 effect banks in traktor (but still be flexible so i can use it with ableton in the future)
- have 16 endless rotary encoders that are also buttons
- have some LED feedback (like the brightness of the LED relates to the amount of the knob) from the software (traktor & live)
- have it fit into a midi-fighter sized case (ideally the actual midi-fighter case)

really in not so many words i am look to put a Faderfox FX3 in a midi-fighter, kinda?

so i read the diy midi kits review on the blog and the livid brain looks like a good choice... you believe?

thanks everybody for all of your input on this,
RPK
Adolf Hit
If you want to add that many device you are probably best off just building a separate custom controller based on a DIY midi board which has native support for the encoders, unless you really want to take the hard road.

If this is the case for 16 encoders I would use another micro controller to take care of decoding the encoders and then use some kind of coms protocol between the midifighter and the expansion micro.
Lisa Lochotzki
Rotary encoder is somehow tricky to work with. You need to poll them really often (or use interrupt-on-change) compare their actual position to their previous one. If different, and after a Xor bitwise operation, you know if you send an Inc or Dec command.

I don't see how a Multiplexer could help here. What I see is OR another Microcontroller OR use an I/O expander with Interrupt line such as MCP23017, MCP23S17, MCP23018, MCP23S18 with 'maybe' some D-Type-Flip-Flop to simplify the code.

HTH
Neva Hoppenrath
thanks Fatlimey, i can program a little in flash, so i believe i will take a stab at it.

now on to the wiring of it, to run 16 of these encoders with the 16 switches would i need to do something like your "Multiplexing 8 analog inputs using a CD4051B" post? Because that is a little over my head, i believe.
robert chanda
So you know your HTML, bu can you program Flash? If you can, you're closer than you may believe as you already know how to use a compiler.

Setting up the code to build your own version is not hard, it just neds some background knowledge in:

1. Using the "Command Line" (typed commands at a terminal prompt)
  2. The concept of the "Current Path"
  3. Setting and reading "Environment Variables"
  4. Using "make" to build a project.

All of these things are covered in innumerable "beginning programming in C" tutorials so dig one out and follow it through.
Neva Hoppenrath
thanks midifidler, do i need to modify the code because i want to use 16 of them or just because they're rotary encoders?

That word code is a little scary to me. Here is the extent of my Midi-fighter coding knowledge:

I had two MF's go crazy and give me the "upper-left light of death" and every time i tried to update the firmware, to fix them, i could never get them to work again. I was using terminal and my computer is a mac. When i sent them back to the guys at DJTT they got them to work right away.

that said i am somewhat tech savvy (insert air-quotes here). By trade i am a graphic designer and have a good grasp of HTML, CSS, and action-script. I also have made custom arcade sticks by hacking old PS controllers.

is this something I am capable of doing myself?
Adolf Hit
Heya,

Yes they will work, however you are going to have to modify the code to make that happen.

<< Back to MIDIfighter Resources and DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy