Poll - what are your thoughts on a MidiFighter Wiki Mini-site

Home :: MIDIfighter Resources and Discussion :: Poll - what are your thoughts on a MidiFighter Wiki Mini-siteReply
Poll - what are your thoughts on a MidiFighter Wiki Mini-site
Posted on: 27.03.2011 by Lorelei Przybylowicz
Hi guys,

Firstly I'd like to say big ups to DJTT for helping to build such a wicked community of people. I've had my MF for 6 months now and absolutely love it and I'm an avid reader of the community s and the whole community are super helpful and really pushing the boundaries with their ideas and input. I had a thought that I wanted to share with you guys after reading some of the comments on a thread in the community which I'm subscribed too, and that was to see what you all thought about maybe creating a Midifighter Wiki mini-site.

Given the sheer number of all of the stickies in the MF section of this community there is clearly lots of information out here that is very important for MF users to easily access and I thought a Wiki might be a better way to keep it organised.

The great thing about Wiki's is that it doesn't have to be only maintained by a single person but if there are certain pages that you wanted only the Moderators to write then you could lock them or users could submit change requests in for approval etc. I was believeing that there could also be a section on the electronics behind modifying the MF, i.e. how to hook up a pot (most of the cuban page could go here), how to hook up a fader, analogue inputs, etc.

I know that there is a shed load of content within this community and that users should spend some more time searching for these golden nuggets of info but if they could but pulled out into a well organised mini-site of information then that would be brilliant. I know what it's like from other community s is that someone finds the answer to something buried in page 6 of 15 pages and it gets hard for people to find the info.

To kick things off could do:
- MidiFighter mappings
- Basics (how to flash firmware, bootloader mode, how to construct the MF, blueprints of top sheets, MF trouble shooting - i.e. what to try first before posting issues etc)
- Advanced (source coding, addition of pots, addition of faders, addition of analogue inputs ...)
- MF Mod User Guides (people who've successfully mod'd their MF could write a mini guide like the Cuban missile one)

I believe the biggest concern of mine would be keeping the content up to date and also ensuring it was the most accurate information up there but I've found in the past that users aren't really malicious in their editing of these sorts of things and also it takes a moderately confident user to go and write up a new page etc so hopefully that should keep the content accurate.

Anyways - I thought I'd throw it out there and maybe if there is enough suport then we could go to the powers that be and get some ideas together on a structure and believe about getting some content written.

I am more than open for people to hit a big fat no on the poll above but I would appreciate if you could spend 30 seconds and post below WHY you don't believe it's a good idea or what you believe some of the issues would be in putting it together and then we can have an informed discussion on it.
Lorelei Przybylowicz
Originally Posted by photojojo
I believe a wiki would be a great way to help keep the Midi Fighter section of the community organized. As I typed tis though I started to believe there might already be one started, just not used.
Cool man - let me know if you need any help in some organisation.
Not too sure if I'm up to scratch on too much technical content but I'm game to help.

Also 88 views - are there lots of lurkers here ?
Lorelei Przybylowicz
Originally Posted by hallicious
I see a need for both.

Wikis are great for everything that you mentioned... I could also see the addition of custom controller projects fitting into such a site and How Tos...

But wikis aren't great for Q&A, so I wouldn't want this section to go away.
Definitely - I'm not suggesting to remove the community - just move a bunch of the content that is here in stickies up there to help organise people and the info a bit more.
Lorelei Przybylowicz
Hi guys,

Firstly I'd like to say big ups to DJTT for helping to build such a wicked community of people. I've had my MF for 6 months now and absolutely love it and I'm an avid reader of the community s and the whole community are super helpful and really pushing the boundaries with their ideas and input. I had a thought that I wanted to share with you guys after reading some of the comments on a thread in the community which I'm subscribed too, and that was to see what you all thought about maybe creating a Midifighter Wiki mini-site.

Given the sheer number of all of the stickies in the MF section of this community there is clearly lots of information out here that is very important for MF users to easily access and I thought a Wiki might be a better way to keep it organised.

The great thing about Wiki's is that it doesn't have to be only maintained by a single person but if there are certain pages that you wanted only the Moderators to write then you could lock them or users could submit change requests in for approval etc. I was believeing that there could also be a section on the electronics behind modifying the MF, i.e. how to hook up a pot (most of the cuban page could go here), how to hook up a fader, analogue inputs, etc.

I know that there is a shed load of content within this community and that users should spend some more time searching for these golden nuggets of info but if they could but pulled out into a well organised mini-site of information then that would be brilliant. I know what it's like from other community s is that someone finds the answer to something buried in page 6 of 15 pages and it gets hard for people to find the info.

To kick things off could do:
- MidiFighter mappings
- Basics (how to flash firmware, bootloader mode, how to construct the MF, blueprints of top sheets, MF trouble shooting - i.e. what to try first before posting issues etc)
- Advanced (source coding, addition of pots, addition of faders, addition of analogue inputs ...)
- MF Mod User Guides (people who've successfully mod'd their MF could write a mini guide like the Cuban missile one)

I believe the biggest concern of mine would be keeping the content up to date and also ensuring it was the most accurate information up there but I've found in the past that users aren't really malicious in their editing of these sorts of things and also it takes a moderately confident user to go and write up a new page etc so hopefully that should keep the content accurate.

Anyways - I thought I'd throw it out there and maybe if there is enough suport then we could go to the powers that be and get some ideas together on a structure and believe about getting some content written.

I am more than open for people to hit a big fat no on the poll above but I would appreciate if you could spend 30 seconds and post below WHY you don't believe it's a good idea or what you believe some of the issues would be in putting it together and then we can have an informed discussion on it.
Lorelei Przybylowicz
So the idea has been considered and I thought I'd share the response with you:

Originally Posted by Fatlimey
Saw the thread, it is a good idea. However there are downsides:
  • Every release will require all documentation to be submitted to another, incompatible format, delaying releases due to documentation drag.
  • The Wiki will have to be locked to general editing, otherwise we'll have to recruit a new team of editors to keep up with spam posts and edits.
  • Adding another service to our webservers is another hacking risk that
  • Ean is currently the webmaster so any extra work for him is less articles for you.

So there are good reasons for and good reasons against. I'm sure we'll get around to it but it won't be tomorrow.
Sounds like it's going to be too much admin to maintain.
Tatum Ansaldo
I'm sure I remember fatlimey mentioning the possibility of one, it might already be in the works. PM him and ask.
Lorelei Przybylowicz
Originally Posted by photojojo
I believe a wiki would be a great way to help keep the Midi Fighter section of the community organized. As I typed tis though I started to believe there might already be one started, just not used.
Cool man - let me know if you need any help in some organisation.
Not too sure if I'm up to scratch on too much technical content but I'm game to help.

Also 88 views - are there lots of lurkers here ?
Leeanna Ayla
Lorelei Przybylowicz
Originally Posted by hallicious
I see a need for both.

Wikis are great for everything that you mentioned... I could also see the addition of custom controller projects fitting into such a site and How Tos...

Definitely - I'm not suggesting to remove the community - just move a bunch of the content that is here in stickies up there to help organise people and the info a bit more.
Eleonora Musico
I see a need for both.

Lorelei Przybylowicz
44 views, 4 votes and no comments?
:-(

<< Back to MIDIfighter Resources and DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy