Needing help with Alpha faders and buttons

Home :: MIDIfighter Resources and Discussion :: Needing help with Alpha faders and buttonsReply
Needing help with Alpha faders and buttons
Posted on: 01.04.2011 by Hui Santacroce
Hello, Friends
Im new to this but im diving in head first
I bought some faders from the fine folk over at DJTT, and i'm trying to figure out how to find out which pin is which on the bottom of the fader.
I've got pin(s)
and
How do i find out which one is the ground, power, and output to connect to the midi fighter.

Also I bought extra buttons, How do it hook those up to the midi fighter
One connection to ground and one connection to output?

Thanks in advanced
dany
http://soundcloud.com/fndmntl
Hui Santacroce
Originally Posted by sidetrakd
I would definitely recommend this too, I hacked around with mine a bit and ruined the solder points on 2 analogues meaning i then had to run 2 wires directly to the pins on the chip! Not fun!!
First i had soldered on cables for messing with 2 super faders after that I decided to add knobs instead then I decided to totally mod the midifighter at which point i ruined a connection!!
Live and learn!! Next time ill do it right!!
I hear you brother, im learning as i go.... actually, now the dam thing doesn't work
Hunter Renslow
Originally Posted by Jason Cerna
Also, to make things easier, you can install female headers into the expansion section
I would definitely recommend this too, I hacked around with mine a bit and ruined the solder points on 2 analogues meaning i then had to run 2 wires directly to the pins on the chip! Not fun!!
First i had soldered on cables for messing with 2 super faders after that I decided to add knobs instead then I decided to totally mod the midifighter at which point i ruined a connection!!
Hunter Renslow
Put the fader in the centre and check the pins with your multimeter.The ones that read 10k are your ground and power and the third one is your input.

Originally Posted by sorce

I followed this diagram

+------o +5v
|
# 10k resistor
#
|
+------o DigitalIn
|
/ switch
/
|
|
+------o Gnd

[/I]
that diagram is for connecting four buttons to the four digital inputs.You will need pull ups with these.

The faders/knobs get connected to the analogue inputs,you dont need pull up resistors with these

but im wondering if i bought the wrong resistors, I never specified pull up or pull down.
[/I]
They will be the same resistors,The way they are wired defines whether they are pull up or pull down

the colours look like 10k resistors which are perfect

Also, I got an analog pot to work but the Midifighter was sending all kinds of other data and would only stop if i (what seemed like) grounded the Motherboard by placing my hands on the metal casing of the usb port. Did i short out the analog inputs?

I feel like im in over my head with this stuff.
Did you connect it to an analogue input?Did you connect the 3 pins(gnd,5v and input?)
Are your connections good,I got wierd glitches from a bad solder joint.
Hui Santacroce
Hello, Friends
Im new to this but im diving in head first
I bought some faders from the fine folk over at DJTT, and i'm trying to figure out how to find out which pin is which on the bottom of the fader.
I've got pin(s)
and
How do i find out which one is the ground, power, and output to connect to the midi fighter.

Also I bought extra buttons, How do it hook those up to the midi fighter
One connection to ground and one connection to output?

Thanks in advanced
dany
http://soundcloud.com/fndmntl
Hui Santacroce
thanks for your help Jason you've been a big help and inspiration
Hui Santacroce
Originally Posted by sidetrakd
I hear you brother, im learning as i go.... actually, now the dam thing doesn't work
Hunter Renslow
Originally Posted by Jason Cerna
Also, to make things easier, you can install female headers into the expansion section
Hunter Renslow
No problem,hope you get it working!!
Hui Santacroce
Did you connect it to an analogue input?Did you connect the 3 pins(gnd,5v and input?)
Are your connections good,I got wierd glitches from a bad solder joint.[/QUOTE]

Ya, i guess i'll check the connections again
Thanks a lot sidetrakd
Hunter Renslow
Put the fader in the centre and check the pins with your multimeter.The ones that read 10k are your ground and power and the third one is your input.

I followed this diagram

+------o +5v
|
# 10k resistor
#
|
+------o DigitalIn
|
/ switch
/
|
|
+------o Gnd

[/I]
that diagram is for connecting four buttons to the four digital inputs.You will need pull ups with these.

The faders/knobs get connected to the analogue inputs,you dont need pull up resistors with these

but im wondering if i bought the wrong resistors, I never specified pull up or pull down.
[/I]
They will be the same resistors,The way they are wired defines whether they are pull up or pull down

the colours look like 10k resistors which are perfect

Also, I got an analog pot to work but the Midifighter was sending all kinds of other data and would only stop if i (what seemed like) grounded the Motherboard by placing my hands on the metal casing of the usb port. Did i short out the analog inputs?

Are your connections good,I got wierd glitches from a bad solder joint.
Hui Santacroce
Thanks guys, you've shed some light. BUT im still in the dark

DJTT is understaffed and i'm waiting on the specs of the faders so....
After blowing up one fader
Using my multimeter measuring @ 200k i've found readings (0 - 10.5) runs through pins
1 and 2
2 and 3

Does that give enough information as to what gets attached to what?

as far as the buttons are concerned

I followed this diagram

+------o +5v
|
# 10k resistor
#
|
+------o DigitalIn
|
/ switch
/
|
|
+------o Gnd

the colour code looks like brown, red, black black, brown

Do i have the wrong ones?

robert chanda
If you have a multimeter, you can just measure which is which.
Harley Hendzel

Harley Hendzel
Connecting to the digital inputs:
http://www.djranking s.com/community /showthread.php?t=12494

Connecting to the analog inputs:
[step 6]http://www.djranking s.com/2010/02/0...sis/#more-4747

as far as testing the fader to see, do you have a multimeter for electronics?

or maybe send an email back to djtt requesting the specs for the fader.

<< Back to MIDIfighter Resources and DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy