Tempo/Pitch Bend Controls on MF?

Home :: MIDIfighter Resources and Discussion :: Tempo/Pitch Bend Controls on MF?Reply
Tempo/Pitch Bend Controls on MF?
Posted on: 05.05.2011 by Jodi Lacerra
Some versions of MF mappings have had Tempo and Pitch Bend controls on them (e.g., Deckalized with Tempo controls on the bottom row) and others don't.

It seems like people who use the MF as an accessory controller don't need those controls (because they already have them on something else) but those who use MF's as their primary controller do want them.

However, it's always best to directly ask the people who use the mappings. So please give your input in the poll above! Thanks.
Jodi Lacerra
Some versions of MF mappings have had Tempo and Pitch Bend controls on them (e.g., Deckalized with Tempo controls on the bottom row) and others don't.

It seems like people who use the MF as an accessory controller don't need those controls (because they already have them on something else) but those who use MF's as their primary controller do want them.

However, it's always best to directly ask the people who use the mappings. So please give your input in the poll above! Thanks.
Sharyn Prado
Tertiary - 3rd controller

I personally find it hard to mix using the buttons on the bottom, theyre not a decent replacement for turntables or jogwheels.
Meg Reinoehl
Chris,

I believe I know where you're going with this poll.

If you're trying to see how useful these controls are for MF users and whether or not you'll continue to include these in future mappings, *I* believe that there's one thing you need to consider and that is, "How should this mapping be used?"

When you compare the Deckalized mapping to the Instant Gratification one, it's understandable why the Deckalized mapping has pitch/tempo controls. It's meant to act as a deck and more or less as the primary controller. The Instant Gratification seems like it was not designed to be a primary controller, instead to be a secondary (or third-ary? is that even a word?) one, and thus, makes complete sense as to why it doesn't have those controls. Although I posted earlier that they're necessary for me, I'm completely OK with the fact that DJTT designed the Instant Gratification mapping without them. I get why that choice was made.

If a mapping is going to be designed primarily for FX or beat juggling or whatnot, then I would believe that it would be less necessary, but if you're going to add transport controls with the intent of being used to replace the use of a deck (whether it's a CDJ/turntable/VCI) then I feel that controls like pitch/tempo/whatever are definitely necessary.
Tatum Ansaldo
Don't use them.
Sharyn Prado
Nope, people that need them have the decklized mapping, mine are redundant so are now assigned to sample decks... I also dont use the slicer function, I mix house so it doesnt go down too well.
Leeanna Ayla
No, I have other controllers to do that if necessary.
Lorelei Przybylowicz
Very necessary for me ! I only use a MF on it's own ! I've come from Vinyl -> CD -> MF DJing and I would be flying blind without having manual nudges and pitch adjustments.

Yes auto sync SHOULD always work but I have had to tweak it before if I haven't had time to properly analyse tracks before I DJ out.

An example of this is when I've had a track where the 1st down beat was before the start of the track on Traktor and I couldn't ever get the beat grid to work. I needed there to be some automatic blank track at the start so I could force this down beat to be at -1 second on the track (if that makes sense).

I got caught out by that track on the go in a club and the only way to do it was to manually pitch !

I'd like them to stay ... ! )
Meg Reinoehl
Right now, the MF is my primary controller and it's absolutely necessary for me to have pitch bend controls, tempo not so much.

<< Back to MIDIfighter Resources and DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy