MidiFighter DEAD!

MidiFighter DEAD!
Posted on: 28.05.2011 by Dora Laffer
After overpowering my MidiFighter (and VCI) it is no longer alive. The LED's work fine but i can't get it to send any midi-signals or get it to re-flash the firmware. It simply can't detect the MidiFighter either in normal- or boot mode.

1. Is there anyway I can get my beloved MidiFighter back to life.

or

2. Can I use the buttons/LED's/circut board to build a new baby.

I miss it so much.
Dora Laffer
After overpowering my MidiFighter (and VCI) it is no longer alive. The LED's work fine but i can't get it to send any midi-signals or get it to re-flash the firmware. It simply can't detect the MidiFighter either in normal- or boot mode.

1. Is there anyway I can get my beloved MidiFighter back to life.

or

2. Can I use the buttons/LED's/circut board to build a new baby.

I miss it so much.
Lauretta Ehrhorn
May i say i had this issue and i did highlight this to the Tech Tools team so it has been brought to their attention before. No amount of standard resetting worked. My only solution was new PCB's
Adolf Hit
I would try flashing it using the jumper/button method, but it does sound like something is broke as I have never heard of this particular failure before.
Dora Laffer
Symptoms are: When I plug it in it makes the usual start-up pattern but the light "stucks" at the bottom right corner. The bottom right is lit from there on. Nothing lights when pressed.
I can get into boot mode, with the kris-kros pattern. And I can ass well get in to the menu mode and choose 4 bank mode ect. ect.
But no midi-signal are send to the computer, the computer can'tpick up anything.

The over-powered thing is a theory. I believe I might have used a worng ACDC power chord to my USB-hub so to much voltage where send through the system. But I'm not sure at all.
Adolf Hit
What are your symptoms here?

Im assuming when you plug it in it goes through its usual start up pattern , then eventually all leds go off, following this when you push a button does the LED illuminate?

Also what do you mean when you say over powered?

The xtal would not have been effected by an over voltage surge on the USB supply, Mert's issue was caused by imperfect soldering during manufacture...
Lisa Lochotzki
Yup that's the right part to change.

If you can connect to the bootloader mode but your computer don't list the Midi Fighter in the MIDI device, then your crystal should be fine. The crystal is the heartbeat of the MCU. No heartbeat, no nothing. On the other hand you also state before you couldn't flash the new firmware... sounds odd...

Let's see what will happen once you'll change the crystal.

You said you "over-powered" the Midi Fighter... what do you mean? Over 5volts? If so, as there's no voltage regulator on board you may have blown the MCU. OR, if you're lucky, the USB Transient suppressor (D17) AND/OR one or both of those small 22ohms resistor (R6, R7) have blown... if so, the connection between the USB connector and the MCU is open/short... hence no communication.
Dora Laffer
Before i go rip my MF apart i would just be sure I replaced the right thing. I attached a foto with the thing I believe it is.

And another thing. It seems like most people can't get it into boot mode (to my understanding) but I can. Just can't get the computer to see the MF.
Monty Strauder
Yeah u right, u need a 16mhz but before u change him i would check it... seach for an electronic! if u cant solder u have a problem!
Venetta Cawyer
I too was a little confused, but he means the quartz crystal
Dora Laffer
I'm not very tech-savvy, xtal? I'm on with the solderd though.
Monty Strauder
Yes, sure. i solderd in a new xtal and now it works fine!
Dora Laffer
Did yours survive?
Monty Strauder
I had the same problem, read there: http://www.djranking s.com/community /showthread.php?t=29538

good luck!

<< Back to MIDIfighter Resources and DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy