Ableton Live Control Surface Mapping

Home :: MIDIfighter Resources and Discussion :: Ableton Live Control Surface MappingReply
Ableton Live Control Surface Mapping
Posted on: 12.11.2011 by Johnathan Traeger
Hello all,

So, I have been using my Midi Fighter Classic in Ableton Live's Drum Racks an dI have been stumpped on how to have the unit follow the on-screen sample banks as I scroll up or down within the rack. On my other controllers Ableton gives me an option to select a control surface in order for this to happen. Midi Fighters do not seem supported.

Are there any plans for Ableton to support the MF as a designated control surface?

Thx!
Johnathan Traeger
Hello all,

So, I have been using my Midi Fighter Classic in Ableton Live's Drum Racks an dI have been stumpped on how to have the unit follow the on-screen sample banks as I scroll up or down within the rack. On my other controllers Ableton gives me an option to select a control surface in order for this to happen. Midi Fighters do not seem supported.

Are there any plans for Ableton to support the MF as a designated control surface?

Thx!
Chasidy Heckenbach
i had a look at some python for this today, been meaning to code something for ages for my midimasher so i can switch controllers easily without changing my live config. i only have live5 tho (apart from live8le) so i presume i can't do as much as with live8. bit of a pain it only ships with compiled python files... but very cool that when u decompile u even get the comments back etc

also been wanting a reason to try and get into some python for years - i guess this is the excuse

edit: i've been messing with the code for the RemoteSL that comes with 5.0.5. not even sure it has that same scrolling functionality as live8...
Johnathan Traeger
Thank you all for this advice. I will try my hand at these. Cheers!
Rosita Bourdeaux
Or you could look into making your own remote script for ableton if your familiar with python scripting. If your not then there's still hope. You can modify remote scripts for other controllers supported in ableton and trick ableton into believeing that your using that controller. You should have access to all midi controller remote scripts for ableton even if you don't own the controller because ableton gave you all of them when you first downloaded the software. Although you will need to get python.

For example: you load up the script for a apc 20 but you are actually using your midi fighter. You will have to change the cc message commands in the python script for the apc 20 so it will work smoothly with your MF. This can be as simple as just deleting cc's and replacing them with whatever cc from the MF you want (basically mapping your MF). Although you won't have as much control as you would have with the apc 20 (because the MF doesn't have the same controls as the apc 20) you will still be able to use most commands from the apc 20 template. This includes advanced functions like track focus, drum rack, note mode, and that awesome red box you get with only ableton supported controllers as well as any other functions available for the apc 20 script.

If you really want to get creative you could try and implement the MF's 4 banks mode to get even more control. This will of course mean you will have to sacrifice 4 buttons but that it will open more control.

Honestly the midi fighter just doesn't have enough controls to be an all in 1 solution for ableton but it definently can shine as an add on controller if you decide to start modifying remote scripts. A solid google search and some patience will get you a better explanation than what I just said. But if your too lazy for that then heres some links

http://community .ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=104540

http://remotescripts.blogspot.com/20...k-classes.html

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2009/0...eries-control/

http://ruinwesen.com/blog?id=72

GLHF
Evangeline Abraha
If you are looking to expand midifighter's scope on the drumrack itself there's an easy solution : Just insert a pitch - Midi plug in maybe map it onto a knob of some sorts &

Voila ! You have the full drum rack bank at your finger tips without any further trickery.

I love programming beats on the midifighter as I believe the limitations are a blessing. Fun punching in beats at full velocity , jackin!

M
Meg Reinoehl
I would doubt that Ableton has a plan to make a native mapping for this. Your best bet would be to ask Ableton.

<< Back to MIDIfighter Resources and DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy