Atari 7800 Casing - Midi Fighter Mod

Home :: MIDIfighter Resources and Discussion :: Atari 7800 Casing - Midi Fighter ModReply
Atari 7800 Casing - Midi Fighter Mod
Posted on: 28.01.2012 by Alysa Machuta
Hello,

This is my first project. I've recently purchased a midi fighter. I'm going to add 2 rotary , 2 slide potentiometers and 4 extra arcade buttons. This is all going to be re-housed in an Atari 7800 casing.

What would be the best way going about getting the 24mm and 28mm holes bored/drilled and the spacing for the sliders made without damaging the casing?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Here is a pic of the case I'm going to use.

Estefana Musfeldt
Originally Posted by Dixhouse
Thanks, that's sound advice. To drill the 24 and 28mm holes would it be ok to use a masonry drill bit?
you can but it would be rough edges, i would use a core drill bit don't know the real name use my dad's tools it basically cuts out a piece of the plastic to leave a 24mm hole
Alysa Machuta
Hello,

This is my first project. I've recently purchased a midi fighter. I'm going to add 2 rotary , 2 slide potentiometers and 4 extra arcade buttons. This is all going to be re-housed in an Atari 7800 casing.

What would be the best way going about getting the 24mm and 28mm holes bored/drilled and the spacing for the sliders made without damaging the casing?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Here is a pic of the case I'm going to use.

Ada Matzkin
use a spade bit http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&b...:0&tx=93&ty=32
Alysa Machuta

https://p.twimg.com/AmwVIlVCEAAgA7C.jpg
Alysa Machuta
Hey guys thanks for the advice.

I have decided to used use an Atari 2600 casing that I acquired on eBay. Reason being is that on the 7800 casing has a silver metal strip with the Atari logo and detail. Problem being was that I wanted to keep the 4x4 button arrangement which would mean drilling through the logo which I wanted to keep.

I'm still in the process of modding my MF and fitting it into the Atari 2600 case. In the meantime as a side project I used the original 7800 case to make another custom midi controller, mostly using some parts cannibalised from an old UC-17.

Here it is :-)

I will post some more pics when my MF mod project is done.
Adolf Hit
Cool idea - cant wait to see how it comes out.

With practice and a little technique a dremel should be good for everything you need to do there
Randal Biza
Sounds like an awesome idea. I'd love to see that.
Estefana Musfeldt
Originally Posted by Dixhouse
Thanks, that's sound advice. To drill the 24 and 28mm holes would it be ok to use a masonry drill bit?
you can but it would be rough edges, i would use a core drill bit don't know the real name use my dad's tools it basically cuts out a piece of the plastic to leave a 24mm hole
Alysa Machuta
Estefana Musfeldt
use lots of tape to mark out were your gonna drill, drill through from the inside out of the casing, on top of a block of wood and go very very slowly so you don't crack the plastic. best way to do slider hole's would be to drill 4 or 5 small holes in a line then use a file to saw out the gaps between your holes to get a nice straight line.

<< Back to MIDIfighter Resources and DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy