MF Spectra Button-Color Mod

Home :: MIDIfighter Resources and Discussion :: MF Spectra Button-Color ModReply
MF Spectra Button-Color Mod
Posted on: 30.09.2013 by Patrick Glapa
Hi. Is it possible to order or mod the color of the buttons on a MF Spectra? For example, I want 2 red and 2 blue buttons in the first row, 1 green and 3 yellow buttons in the second row, all purple buttons in the third row, etc.

It seems like I can only order a Spectra with different colored buttons per row. (i.e. each row has to be the same color). Is that true?

Apologies if this has been answered on the community before. Please point me to the thread.

Thanks!
Nedra Fresneda
Bigbee, I am Mat
Patrick Glapa
I just had a quick chat discussion with Matias in the djtt store, asking this question. Pretty straightforward answers. Here's a transcript:

DJTT Support
Can we help you with anything?

You (click to change)
Hi. Is it possible to order a Spectra with a row of different-colored buttons? For example: 2 red buttons and 2 blue buttons in the same row, 3 green buttons and 1 purple button in another row, etc?

Mat
Nedra Fresneda
Bigbee, I am Mat
Patrick Glapa
I just had a quick chat discussion with Matias in the djtt store, asking this question. Pretty straightforward answers. Here's a transcript:

DJTT Support

You (click to change)
Hi. Is it possible to order a Spectra with a row of different-colored buttons? For example: 2 red buttons and 2 blue buttons in the same row, 3 green buttons and 1 purple button in another row, etc?

Mat
Nedra Fresneda
Bigbee, I am Mat
Patrick Glapa

DJTT Support

You (click to change)

Mat
Klara Kinnebrew
Originally Posted by midifidler
We generally try to be as chill as possible with warranty so if it had some other failure in the future we wouldnt use your modification as a reason not to fix it.
Reason #348374 why I try to do as much of my business with DJTT as possible.

Amazing business model these guys have...
Nedra Fresneda
Bigbee, I am Mat
Patrick Glapa

DJTT Support

You (click to change)

Mat
Patrick Glapa
Hi. Is it possible to order or mod the color of the buttons on a MF Spectra? For example, I want 2 red and 2 blue buttons in the first row, 1 green and 3 yellow buttons in the second row, all purple buttons in the third row, etc.

It seems like I can only order a Spectra with different colored buttons per row. (i.e. each row has to be the same color). Is that true?

Apologies if this has been answered on the community before. Please point me to the thread.

Thanks!
Klara Kinnebrew
Originally Posted by midifidler
We generally try to be as chill as possible with warranty so if it had some other failure in the future we wouldnt use your modification as a reason not to fix it.
Reason #348374 why I try to do as much of my business with DJTT as possible.

Amazing business model these guys have...
Adolf Hit
Hey Bigbee,

I'm Michael the Midi Fighter engineer, so to answer question yes it is possible to do, if you have never soldered before it is probably best to find a friend who has some experience. By using solder wick you can remove all the solder from the button terminals on the underside of the unit, and once all 32 are free the top will just lift of allowing you to modify the buttons. Also please note this process will probably leave some unsightly brown gunk around the terminals, this can be cleaned with Isopropyl alcohol.

as Matias mentioned it would void your warranty, but what that really means is if you really screwed up the modification you should expect us to fix it for free. We generally try to be as chill as possible with warranty so if it had some other failure in the future we wouldnt use your modification as a reason not to fix it.
Olimpia Briden
Was there ever an answer Matias?
Nedra Fresneda
Bigbee, I am Mat
Patrick Glapa

DJTT Support

You (click to change)

Mat
Olimpia Briden
It just doesn't make sense for the buttons to be soldered to the board, it'd mean having to put the buttons into the bezel, then soldering them to the inside face of the board, which would be a evening mare to do. The button terminals are massive, the bezel is plastic, the solder will need to be 220c or thereabouts, so I believe you'd end up with a pile of goo before you could actually make one.

I'm pretty sure they should be sprung like the originals but we really need someone from djtt to confirm this.
Patrick Glapa
So if the Spectra buttons are soldered to the board, would I need to break the solder connection and re-solder? That seems a little counter-intuitive: basically, breaking the device and then fixing it simply to get a different colored button on top!
Olimpia Briden
Are you sure they're soldered to the board? that seems like it's asking for trouble, the midifighter classic buttons (same buttons, just not got the clear outer ring or leds) look like they are connected via sprung contacts on the board, very easy to remove, just click in and out. For what it's worth, it's very easy to swap out the centres of the sanwa buttons, just need 2 small screwdrivers to push 2 clips in and out it comes.
Nedra Fresneda
You can only choose one color for the 16 buttons, it's a bit redundant to offer inner button color customization since the led rings are dynamic and change per bank or via MIDI out.

Yes, you can open your spectra and replace the center piece of the button with one of a different color but you will void the warranty as soon as you open the unit. Keep in mind the buttons are soldered to the motherboard so it takes a bit of extra work to get it done.
Petra Arra
i believe its only the mf pro that can be customized. ask the store customer service for clarification

<< Back to MIDIfighter Resources and DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy