Went from Vinyl to CDJ. First impressions!

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: Went from Vinyl to CDJ. First impressions!Reply
Went from Vinyl to CDJ. First impressions!
Posted on: 05.10.2012 by Malia Janise
I haven’t touched tables in about 8 years, and when I did it was only on 1200’s. I just got a pair of 900’s sight-unseen, got some new headphones and then got to work! Here’s my initial thoughts after using CDJ’s for the first time;

• Loads of fun. To be honest this is both from getting back into DJ’ing, as well as the fact that CDJ’s are fun to poke around on.

• They're intuitive. At least for general cueing, beat matching, etc. I’m a read-the-instructions kind of guy, but I was able to pick things up on my own. It’s obvious they’ve had years of iterations, with each consecutive model being based on features that users like us have asked for. It all just made sense.

• Downloading from Beatport, loading to USB, and using the Link function was a breeze. Much better than digging through vinyl.

• I was able to mix back and forth within the first hour. I accidentally bumped the big Play/Pause button a few times mid-mix. Akin to swiping the “off” knob on 1200’s. I also need to get used to how easy it is to accidentally move the cue point. I’m clumsy. Curious if this is why people like Rekordbox - can you make "lockable" cue points?

• The platter is much different than 1200’s. Not just for obvious the obvious reasons (I do miss being able to simply drag to slow down). It seems like you have to give the platter bigger bump to make corrections while beatmatching – almost an exaggerated swipe. Is this something that’s only adjustable on the 1000k/2000k’s? It also seems that speeding the platter up was more sensitive than slowing down.

• The built-in digital BPM counter is nice. You can’t rely on it as there’s lots of fudge room within a single BPM, but it makes the initial part quicker.

• Looping is fun. What I didn't like is that it changes the cue point. For example, I have my cue set at the start of the track (to be used for mixing the tracks), but if I want to fade it in and loop it for some effects while the main track is playing, it will bump my cue point up to where I looped from. This means I lost my cue at the start, so I need to reset it before I finally mix out. Thoughts?

• Does looping work in Slip Mode? I tried it but didn't get what I wanted. I ask because when I was mid-mix (crossfader at 50/50), I wanted to add some
Malia Janise
I haven’t touched tables in about 8 years, and when I did it was only on 1200’s. I just got a pair of 900’s sight-unseen, got some new headphones and then got to work! Here’s my initial thoughts after using CDJ’s for the first time;

• Loads of fun. To be honest this is both from getting back into DJ’ing, as well as the fact that CDJ’s are fun to poke around on.

• They're intuitive. At least for general cueing, beat matching, etc. I’m a read-the-instructions kind of guy, but I was able to pick things up on my own. It’s obvious they’ve had years of iterations, with each consecutive model being based on features that users like us have asked for. It all just made sense.

• Downloading from Beatport, loading to USB, and using the Link function was a breeze. Much better than digging through vinyl.

• I was able to mix back and forth within the first hour. I accidentally bumped the big Play/Pause button a few times mid-mix. Akin to swiping the “off” knob on 1200’s. I also need to get used to how easy it is to accidentally move the cue point. I’m clumsy. Curious if this is why people like Rekordbox - can you make "lockable" cue points?

• The platter is much different than 1200’s. Not just for obvious the obvious reasons (I do miss being able to simply drag to slow down). It seems like you have to give the platter bigger bump to make corrections while beatmatching – almost an exaggerated swipe. Is this something that’s only adjustable on the 1000k/2000k’s? It also seems that speeding the platter up was more sensitive than slowing down.

• The built-in digital BPM counter is nice. You can’t rely on it as there’s lots of fudge room within a single BPM, but it makes the initial part quicker.

• Looping is fun. What I didn't like is that it changes the cue point. For example, I have my cue set at the start of the track (to be used for mixing the tracks), but if I want to fade it in and loop it for some effects while the main track is playing, it will bump my cue point up to where I looped from. This means I lost my cue at the start, so I need to reset it before I finally mix out. Thoughts?

• Does looping work in Slip Mode? I tried it but didn't get what I wanted. I ask because when I was mid-mix (crossfader at 50/50), I wanted to add some
Malia Janise

Malia Janise

Malia Janise

Malia Janise

Malia Janise

Malia Janise

Malia Janise

Malia Janise

Malia Janise

Malia Janise

Malia Janise

Malia Janise

Malia Janise

Malia Janise

Malia Janise

Malia Janise
Originally Posted by Shishdisma
Download Rekordbox and run your tracks through it, it answers most of your concerns, e.g. memory cue points, BPM detection, and the like. It's just an easier way of managing your library.
OK finally got some face time with Rekordbox.

For them to carry over to my CDJ via USB, do I need to use "Memory" for "Cue In" points that I create? Or does just setting the Cue Point do the trick without copying it to memory?

I figure I need to use memory as this relates to the OP's initial concern of the cue-in point changing on me.

Edit: just tried using Memory, and it looks to work great. You can override it using CUE on the CDJ, but then you can simply call it back up using CALL/LOOP.
Malia Janise

Malia Janise
Originally Posted by Shishdisma
Download Rekordbox and run your tracks through it, it answers most of your concerns, e.g. memory cue points, BPM detection, and the like. It's just an easier way of managing your library.
OK finally got some face time with Rekordbox.

For them to carry over to my CDJ via USB, do I need to use "Memory" for "Cue In" points that I create? Or does just setting the Cue Point do the trick without copying it to memory?

I figure I need to use memory as this relates to the OP's initial concern of the cue-in point changing on me.

Edit: just tried using Memory, and it looks to work great. You can override it using CUE on the CDJ, but then you can simply call it back up using CALL/LOOP.
Nancey Inderlied

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy