Cheap but respectable audio interface? (*into* computer)

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: Cheap but respectable audio interface? (*into* computer)Reply
Cheap but respectable audio interface? (*into* computer)
Posted on: 07.10.2012 by Malia Janise
Looking to record my DJ sets into Audacity.

Work flow: CDJ 900 -> analog Rane mixer -> PC.

It seems that all the reviews I'm reading on audio interfaces are for outputting from the computer, so many of the budget gadgets don't even have inputs.

That said, I trust RCA to 3.5mm Microphone In on my motherboard isn't SoundCloud worthy, but I really don't know.

I'm the type who prefers to buy WAV's over MP3's, so with this in mind, I don't want to bottleneck the quality along the way. Can anyone recommend a respectable option for this? For example, is something like this in-line with WAV quality? http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UCA222.aspx
Dorie Scelzo
Originally Posted by Ever
That said, I did a prelim run with Audacity and using the 3.5mm mic in. Kept both the mixer and Audacity below 0db and everything looked ready to rock.
Honestly, you're playing 16-bit files. If your line-in is 24 bit, you can set it for more headroom than that (peaking around -6 or -10dB), then just normalize it (still with a bit of headroom…say -0.5dB) before you post it.

Also, just as a note after watching the sound cards section of that video………people who complain about "low quality" sound cards (like the ones we recommend on here) claim to be able to hear artifacts after 1 generation……and generate null tests that show some legitimate problems with the audio………with errors on the order of 0.001%, IIRC.

The differences are tiny. They're there. And if you want the best, you have to pay for it……but the point of diminishing returns hits pretty early, especially if you're only recording 2 channels (e.g., stereo) of audio.

As long as you can set the gains so it's a line input instead of a mic input, it's good enough to record a DJ set.
Malia Janise
Looking to record my DJ sets into Audacity.

Work flow: CDJ 900 -> analog Rane mixer -> PC.

It seems that all the reviews I'm reading on audio interfaces are for outputting from the computer, so many of the budget gadgets don't even have inputs.

That said, I trust RCA to 3.5mm Microphone In on my motherboard isn't SoundCloud worthy, but I really don't know.

I'm the type who prefers to buy WAV's over MP3's, so with this in mind, I don't want to bottleneck the quality along the way. Can anyone recommend a respectable option for this? For example, is something like this in-line with WAV quality? http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UCA222.aspx
Dorie Scelzo
Originally Posted by Ever
That said, I did a prelim run with Audacity and using the 3.5mm mic in. Kept both the mixer and Audacity below 0db and everything looked ready to rock.
Honestly, you're playing 16-bit files. If your line-in is 24 bit, you can set it for more headroom than that (peaking around -6 or -10dB), then just normalize it (still with a bit of headroom…say -0.5dB) before you post it.

Also, just as a note after watching the sound cards section of that video………people who complain about "low quality" sound cards (like the ones we recommend on here) claim to be able to hear artifacts after 1 generation……and generate null tests that show some legitimate problems with the audio………with errors on the order of 0.001%, IIRC.

The differences are tiny. They're there. And if you want the best, you have to pay for it……but the point of diminishing returns hits pretty early, especially if you're only recording 2 channels (e.g., stereo) of audio.

As long as you can set the gains so it's a line input instead of a mic input, it's good enough to record a DJ set.
Layne Koop
The section on sound cards starts at 41:15.

Malia Janise
Sounds like it's not worth stressing about for the time being. Thanks for explaining everything.

Dorie Scelzo
The difference between sound quality for a line in on a motherboard and a $15,000 2-channel boutique DAC is definitely there, and to some it's audible……but it's tiny.

You might be able to hear a difference if you have very good monitors in a well-treated room……but if you've spent the thousands of dollars that costs, you wouldn't be using a line-in.

And when you upload it to soundcloud, no one else will ever hear it. >99% of the world will never hear speakers/rooms good enough to tell the difference.

The reason they exist–apart from the minute technical advantages–are so high-end mastering studios can charge what they do and not leave their customers believeing "if only I'd spent a bit more at that other place, my record would have sounded better" ……despite the fact that twisting just about any knob a little bit would make a bigger difference than recording through them vs. a "normal" recording interface.

And since you're not trying to keep time with other musicians (some of whom have already laid down their parts), you don't have to worry about latency issues.

There are quality "issues," but they're tiny. The functional issues (latency, number of channels, system drain, etc.) are most of the reason to buy a good audio interface.
Brunilda Kora
I don't believe it matters... It's just analog audio coming from the mixer.

Mostapha will know for sure, though.
Malia Janise
Thanks for the tips guys! And I didn't realize that was an XLR / TRS combo.

I believe I should just try the line in and go from there. I believe my only remaining question is this: will this bottleneck WAV's? By this I mean that after doing reading, I believe I'm the type who prefers to buy more expensive WAV's over MP3's. With this in mind, will something like on-board line-in or the UCA222 bottleneck the fact that I'd like to be at "WAV quality"?

I believe the UCA tops out at 48khz / 16bit.
Brunilda Kora
I recorded a LOAD of vinyl into my computer many years ago using the line in on the on-board sound card. I still use those .wav's today and they sound fine. I can't remember if I used Ableton (v2, I believe!) or Cooledit Pro. Probably a mixture of both.

I also used to record mixes from my Vestax mixer > line in - they always sounded fine (definitely Soundcloud worthy!).

There's no need to buy a separate audio interface to record your mixes - just tweak the input settings until you get the sound you want.
Dorie Scelzo
1/4" TRS->TRS cables into the center of the inputs on the front (they're combo XLR/TRS jacks) with the switches set to line.
Malia Janise
Thx for the info.

Looking at the Focusrite, and I don't see any inputs - are the big things on the front XLR..?

Which ports would I use to go in from mixer -> Focusrite -> computer?

Mixer: http://www.performanceaudio.com/imag...173/3104_r.jpg
Dorie Scelzo
Using the Mic in on your laptop is soundcloud worthy if you can use it as a line level input and have your gain staging correct.

I'd never trust a Behringer sound card.

If you want a good, affordable sound card, the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 is good for the price, though it's USB and that has its limitations. For recording a DJ set, they don't matter.
Celine Surico
Best bang of bucks and amazing pre-amps, Apogee ONE, alas Mac only product.

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy