M5Gs

M5Gs
Posted on: 17.10.2012 by Danae Dumler
So I took the plunge and bought a pair of lightly used M5Gs with money I don't really have. I adore the tonearm on these turntables; I spun on a friend's set a few weeks ago and couldn't stop believeing about it. These are in great shape and have never been popped open. Is it worth opening them up to internally ground them or should I leave them alone? The other mods I had done to my mk2s -- getting rid of the pitch detent and the quartz lock autocorrect -- are of course totally unnecessary. I have a purple light set that I bought for the mk2s and then never installed, but it seems unnecessary here with these nice blue lights (and I'm not even sure they would work on the m5gs if I wanted them there). Also, they came with covers, but there are no hinges -- is that normal, or should I try to find hinges to install? Not that I ever use the covers except for transporting the tables of course. Finally, what the hell is the hole for near the tonearm? I asked this months ago in another thread but don't remember the answer....

tldr: WOOOHOOO I got some M5Gs!!!!!
Danae Dumler
Originally Posted by Hippie
The manual says to rotate the knob towards the platter to add horizontal weight for scratch play, and to rotate the knob away from the platter for normal play.
In scratch play mode adjusting the anti skate doesn't do anything.
Thanks, found the manual online; there's not much there about this, it says turn all the way one direction for scratching and all the way the other for playing. Is there any point of keeping it somewhere in between or is that just stupid? The manual says it controls "horizontal weight control"; I believe I understand what that means but I'm not sure how it differs from anti-skate (which also controls weight horizontally, no?)

The reason I ask is I scratch a bit but mostly like long mixes and don't want to create unnecessary wear on vinyl if I don't need to. Should I just make the adjustment whenever I want to scratch and then put it back to play? Or is there a reasonable setting for both instances? Trying it out it does grip the needle more in scratch mode but I'm pretty sure I can scratch without skipping at a much lower setting.
Danae Dumler
Have you discovered the scratch/no scratch knob to the right of the spare cart hole yet?
I get better tracking in scratch mode when I test with a blank vinyl. Would be interested to know from other M5G owners if this is the same for them too.
I did notice the knob but couldn't figure out what it did. Which direction is "scratch" mode?
Leeanna Ayla
Originally Posted by djproben
with money I don't really have.

What a way to sum up the American dream. Congrats on the TT's
Danae Dumler
So I took the plunge and bought a pair of lightly used M5Gs with money I don't really have. I adore the tonearm on these turntables; I spun on a friend's set a few weeks ago and couldn't stop believeing about it. These are in great shape and have never been popped open. Is it worth opening them up to internally ground them or should I leave them alone? The other mods I had done to my mk2s -- getting rid of the pitch detent and the quartz lock autocorrect -- are of course totally unnecessary. I have a purple light set that I bought for the mk2s and then never installed, but it seems unnecessary here with these nice blue lights (and I'm not even sure they would work on the m5gs if I wanted them there). Also, they came with covers, but there are no hinges -- is that normal, or should I try to find hinges to install? Not that I ever use the covers except for transporting the tables of course. Finally, what the hell is the hole for near the tonearm? I asked this months ago in another thread but don't remember the answer....

tldr: WOOOHOOO I got some M5Gs!!!!!
Tania Somppi
That's sort of why I was asking

With a blank vinyl on the decks. In scratch mode, the needle stays wherever I drop it. In normal mode I can't set the anti skate so I get the same behavior, it either moves towards the spindle, the outer rim or the centre point between the 2 depending on the anti skate setting.
Danae Dumler
The manual says to rotate the knob towards the platter to add horizontal weight for scratch play, and to rotate the knob away from the platter for normal play.
Thanks, found the manual online; there's not much there about this, it says turn all the way one direction for scratching and all the way the other for playing. Is there any point of keeping it somewhere in between or is that just stupid? The manual says it controls "horizontal weight control"; I believe I understand what that means but I'm not sure how it differs from anti-skate (which also controls weight horizontally, no?)

The reason I ask is I scratch a bit but mostly like long mixes and don't want to create unnecessary wear on vinyl if I don't need to. Should I just make the adjustment whenever I want to scratch and then put it back to play? Or is there a reasonable setting for both instances? Trying it out it does grip the needle more in scratch mode but I'm pretty sure I can scratch without skipping at a much lower setting.
Tania Somppi
Danae Dumler
Have you discovered the scratch/no scratch knob to the right of the spare cart hole yet?
I get better tracking in scratch mode when I test with a blank vinyl. Would be interested to know from other M5G owners if this is the same for them too.
I did notice the knob but couldn't figure out what it did. Which direction is "scratch" mode?
Caleb Demillo
You don't want the hinges, they would be annoying for DJ'ing.

I ditched the included covers altogether (one of mine cracked) and bought the decksavers ones. They are quite a bit nicer.
Tania Somppi
Congrats and welcome to the club
The holes are for spare carts and headshells.
I've not grounded mine as I never move them.
You can buy the hinge parts if you want to fit them.

Osvaldo Newhall
I would internally ground them if they were mine. Also, M3D/MK3D, MK5, M5G/MK5G, & MK6 models don't have hinges for the cover. Although you can install them with hinges if you need to.
Leeanna Ayla
Originally Posted by djproben
with money I don't really have.

What a way to sum up the American dream. Congrats on the TT's

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy