Best Software for Transferring Vinyl to MP3 (or better yet FLAC)

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: Best Software for Transferring Vinyl to MP3 (or better yet FLAC)Reply
Best Software for Transferring Vinyl to MP3 (or better yet FLAC)
Posted on: 18.04.2012 by Rafael Cagnina
What's the best one? What do I need to know etc...
I tried using Audacity and didn't get great results. I'm sure it's partially from lack of knowing how to use the software. I thought I'd ask here before taking time to learn more about Audacity to make sure I wasn't wasting time when there could be a better software. There is lots of free software and lots that cost some moneys. Do I need to spend my moneys or not?

Thanks!

Please forgive me if this thread exists. I did not find it.
Dorie Scelzo
Originally Posted by Lurkerguy
That's exactly what I was using- the RCA female to 1/8th into mic input on computer (internal soundcard).
That doesn't work. Because of the way the signal is cut onto the record, you'll wind up with absolutely no bass doing it that way. All Phono preamps use what's called the RIAA EQ curve to get a legit signal out of vinyl.

It looks like this:

Now
Dorie Scelzo
That's exactly what I was using- the RCA female to 1/8th into mic input on computer (internal soundcard).
That doesn't work. Because of the way the signal is cut onto the record, you'll wind up with absolutely no bass doing it that way. All Phono preamps use what's called the RIAA EQ curve to get a legit signal out of vinyl.

It looks like this:

Now
Dorie Scelzo

It looks like this:

Now
Dorie Scelzo

It looks like this:

Now
Dorie Scelzo

It looks like this:

Now
Dorie Scelzo

It looks like this:

Now
Dorie Scelzo

It looks like this:

Now
Dorie Scelzo

It looks like this:

Now
Dorie Scelzo

It looks like this:

Now
Dorie Scelzo

It looks like this:

Now
Dorie Scelzo

It looks like this:

Now
Dorie Scelzo

It looks like this:

Now
Rafael Cagnina
Originally Posted by rgtb
just out of curiosity, what cart will you work with when digitizing your records? have you accurately aligned cartridge/stylus overhang, offset and null points? do you realize that tracking force and anti-skating should be set differently when digitizing vinyl than when DJing? what do you do to clean your vinyl? do you own a decent phono preamp?
I've never thought that I would need a different arrangement of tracking force and anti skating. Is this really necessary? How does the tracking and anti skating need to be adjusted?
Nedra Fresneda
Padi- Would you please let me know what you would call a quality soundcard? Thanks.
A card with a very low noise floor, neglible latency, good DACs and mic preamps (this last one might be optional depending on your needs). ie: the saffire pro 14 in my sig, not the best but it's a tough kitty.
Rafael Cagnina
What's the best one? What do I need to know etc...
I tried using Audacity and didn't get great results. I'm sure it's partially from lack of knowing how to use the software. I thought I'd ask here before taking time to learn more about Audacity to make sure I wasn't wasting time when there could be a better software. There is lots of free software and lots that cost some moneys. Do I need to spend my moneys or not?

Thanks!

Please forgive me if this thread exists. I did not find it.
Loraine Dubov
I'm guessing that the OP may not have need for this reply, but since I found this thread, maybe this will be of help to someone else. I just started ripping my LPs to the PC and here is my setup with my TASCAM US 144MKII audio interface if it helps:

Turntable (Technics SL-Q303) RCA outs, to ART DJPRE II Phono Preamplifier, RCA outs to TASCAM US 144MKII, USB out to PC, using Audacity latest version.

The TASCAM is a great interface and gives a nice clean signal. It's external, and uses USB so you can easily hook it up to any PC. I actually purchased it several years ago to use in my little home studio. You can plug just about anything directly into it to record direct to the PC. It has a headphone jack so you can monitor in the input and/or output via headphones. It also has the ability to set your input/output levels. It's a great little box that might get overlooked for this type of application because it is geared more toward small home studio recording.
Dorie Scelzo
Again, it's never been a problem.

And I agree that digital audio sounds better. But CDJs are way to expensive for home ownership IMHO, and I don't believe controllers are as much fun as vinyl. I sold my controllers to go back to almost the exact setup I had from 2005-2008 when I started in on this controller nonsense.
Dorie Scelzo
Never been a problem, but I learned to spin like that. When it comes to things like that, I'd rather develop my technique more than impede sound quality as a crutch, even if the difference is small.
Dorie Scelzo

It looks like this:

Now
Rafael Cagnina
Originally Posted by rgtb
just out of curiosity, what cart will you work with when digitizing your records? have you accurately aligned cartridge/stylus overhang, offset and null points? do you realize that tracking force and anti-skating should be set differently when digitizing vinyl than when DJing? what do you do to clean your vinyl? do you own a decent phono preamp?
I've never thought that I would need a different arrangement of tracking force and anti skating. Is this really necessary? How does the tracking and anti skating need to be adjusted?
Nedra Fresneda
1&2) I was reffering to a generally speaking good soundcard.
3) When I said DACs i meant ADCs as well.
4) Refer to 1 and I already said it was optional
5) He already said he is connecting his TT to a mixer.
Nedra Fresneda
Padi- Would you please let me know what you would call a quality soundcard? Thanks.
A card with a very low noise floor, neglible latency, good DACs and mic preamps (this last one might be optional depending on your needs). ie: the saffire pro 14 in my sig, not the best but it's a tough kitty.
Rafael Cagnina
rgtb- Thanks for reenforcing the importance of the turntable setup. That is, of course, extremely important to have the signal of whatever you are recording in any realm be as clear as possible (unless you don't want it to sound clear or something like that).
I'd like to re-state that my issue is not my turntable setup. I have a 1200 in perfect condition that I have used for years. Everything sounds great with my turntable setup. I've spun vinyl for 10+ years. So it seems to me that (at least in my case) from what I've gathered so far on this thread, that the external sound card is what I'm missing for a quality vinyl>mp3 conversion.

Now what I would like is recommendations on sound cards please. The closest I've gotten to a recommendation is the Audio6 (I thanks you paw20) which I'm sure would be great. The Audio 6 is more than I need though. I'm only using this for the vinyl to mp3 conversion so I don't need lots of inputs. I appreciate all the responses as they have all been helpful, and I am really surprised that there has only been one response of someone saying "this is what I use and it works great". It feels a bit frustrating to me Padi that you say something is not great and then refrain from telling me what is great.
Rafael Cagnina
Nedra Fresneda
The Audio2DJ has no inputs. Personally i'd skip the I/O, it's not what one would exactly call a quality soundcard but if that is what it's in your budget then go for it.

Yes, the audio path is the one you mentioned.
Rafael Cagnina
Anyone with other recommendations for a less than $100 sound card would be appreciated as well. Thank you.
Rafael Cagnina

So from what I gather, the NI Audio 2 or the Numark DJ iO would be what I'm looking for? Then I just go- Turntable > Mixer > Ex. Soundcard > laptop. Correct?
Sam Hanno
that sounds like it's the internal soundcard of your computer. are you using an RCA female to 1/8" male coupler (turntable leads into the mic input on your computer)?

Your rips will not come out very good if you use the internal soundcard.

I used my mixers preamp, routed the master out to my Audio6, and after tweaking gain/master volume a bit (Audacity has a pretty small level meter) I got really nice warm results for my dad's old jazz records (mostly Desmond) in Audacity. A lil compression and maybe EQ (could've used the mixer for that I suppose) and it sounds fantastic. Use a nice external soundcard. 24 bit DACs. Pay more than $50. Don't pay for software.
Rafael Cagnina
Realtek High Def. sound card (I believe). I'm fairly confident that the soundcard is not an issue.

The vinyl and turntable etc. are all good. I know what I'm doing in the vinyl and turntable arena.

So what is your software of choice? I would like to get the best results possible. "decent" does not seem encouraging.
Nedra Fresneda
What soundcard are you using? are your needles and discs clean? Audition, while not being my software of choice, can get you decent results.

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy