About to buy some DJ headphones

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: About to buy some DJ headphonesReply
About to buy some DJ headphones
Posted on: 04.10.2012 by Malia Janise
Long story short, I'm getting back into DJ'ing after a decade off. I just got some CDJ's, and I forgot that my Sony 700's broke a few years back..

Done plenty of Google searches: best DJ headphones, best headphones under $xx, etc.

I'm literally on the fence - I might spend $70 on some V6's, $100 on smoe 280s, and I might spend $270 on some 2000's. I usually like buying the best gear so I can one day sell it easier (HDJ-2000 etc). That said, I just can't make up my mind.

Money is indeed tight, and I'm just bedroom DJ'ing for now so I'm leaning towards the V6's while I get back in the game. My main thing is that they don't tire my ears, and that they're accurate enough to create balanced, recorded mixes with.

What do you believe I can one day sell quicker? Some used V6's (to upgrade) or used HD2000's (perhaps try something else out)?

What headphones in the $60-$150 range are the most comfortable (over-ear)?

Also, I remember the 700's being really uncomfortable. I believe they were too shallow so even though they were over-ear, they still pressed on your lobes, so comfort is a big plus.

I'll be monitoring through my home stereo, so there's that.... Perhaps V6's and some new monitors would be a smarter route, however my small apartment is crammed so this is why I'm instead leaning towards some better headphones.
Tatum Ansaldo
Originally Posted by LoopCat
If you like a DJ headphone that doesn't wear your ears out when turned up loud for long periods I would choose the TMA 1's, they have a darker sound with the real high frequencies rolled off a touch without loosing detail. I've found that this sound signature really helps especially in really noisy environments where you need to crank the headphone level a bit. In saying that they seem to work well with low output mixers and MP3 players.
+1. I just got a pair of TMA-1s to replace my HDJ-500s when their head band broke. Really solid, good frequency response and a roll off on the highs so your ears don't tire. That can be EQ'd out in a DAW if you wanted to produce with them.
Malia Janise
Long story short, I'm getting back into DJ'ing after a decade off. I just got some CDJ's, and I forgot that my Sony 700's broke a few years back..

Done plenty of Google searches: best DJ headphones, best headphones under $xx, etc.

I'm literally on the fence - I might spend $70 on some V6's, $100 on smoe 280s, and I might spend $270 on some 2000's. I usually like buying the best gear so I can one day sell it easier (HDJ-2000 etc). That said, I just can't make up my mind.

Money is indeed tight, and I'm just bedroom DJ'ing for now so I'm leaning towards the V6's while I get back in the game. My main thing is that they don't tire my ears, and that they're accurate enough to create balanced, recorded mixes with.

What do you believe I can one day sell quicker? Some used V6's (to upgrade) or used HD2000's (perhaps try something else out)?

What headphones in the $60-$150 range are the most comfortable (over-ear)?

Also, I remember the 700's being really uncomfortable. I believe they were too shallow so even though they were over-ear, they still pressed on your lobes, so comfort is a big plus.

I'll be monitoring through my home stereo, so there's that.... Perhaps V6's and some new monitors would be a smarter route, however my small apartment is crammed so this is why I'm instead leaning towards some better headphones.
Merideth Garnder
I like my Pioneer HDJ1500s with the optional leather cups for the 2000s. Great isolation and much better for one-ear monitoring and comfort over the Sennheisers (which I also own).
Jeffrey Akinsanya
Sennheiser HD-25II

standard - not flashy but sound amazing with great isolation in loud environments

if you watch live sports there used all the time by industry, dont you wonder why!!
Loan Oballe
I run with The Shure Headphones. SRH750DJs, they are a workhorse, with a really crisp responsive headphone. here in oz they retail about $150, chances are they're cheaper in the US/EU regions.
Yevette Matatall
sunni HD 25 ii's all the way... A club Ive been playing at a few evening s a week have HDJ 2000 and some technics (forget which)...Anyway this last month I stopped bringing the HD25s as I left them at my old place and it was too convinient to just turn up with SD card in pocket. Anyway, last gig before i left for work I brang HD 25iis and was just amazed (again) at how much better they are.... the diffeence for me is the clarity when matching my bass frquencies... when using the HD25s its so much clearer when cueing to line up before bringing in track, i found that with other headphones I was having to make slight nudge on wheel after bringing level all the way up.
Malia Janise
Awesome, good follow-up info!
Tatum Ansaldo
Originally Posted by LoopCat
If you like a DJ headphone that doesn't wear your ears out when turned up loud for long periods I would choose the TMA 1's, they have a darker sound with the real high frequencies rolled off a touch without loosing detail. I've found that this sound signature really helps especially in really noisy environments where you need to crank the headphone level a bit. In saying that they seem to work well with low output mixers and MP3 players.
+1. I just got a pair of TMA-1s to replace my HDJ-500s when their head band broke. Really solid, good frequency response and a roll off on the highs so your ears don't tire. That can be EQ'd out in a DAW if you wanted to produce with them.
Ming Devis
Osvaldo Newhall
Been using the HD280 for 9 years now. My first pair was from 2003 - 2009 and bought my second pair in 2010. I love them. Great sound, insulation, and build quality is really good.
Rolanda Clodfelder
V6's are probably the best all-round headphone you can get as far as bang for buck, durability, Frequency response, and comfort go - way more comfortable IMHO than V700's, much better build and Some might say "Iconic" sound.

My main thing is that they don't tire my ears, and that they're accurate enough to create balanced, recorded mixes with.
Well my ears dont tire from them .. thats with nearly 8hrs a day with them on, they are bloody accurate - some say too accurate, in that you can hear every little detail, even details you wish you couldn't hear :P

Serioiusly, even if you decide you want something else to DJ with eventually the V6's would always be my go-to headphone for production so wayyyyy handy to have knocking around the studio for many many years.

For an outlay of $60 there is honestly little reason to sell, would it be worth selling a set of $60 headphones second hand - for how much $30 ? ... after how long ?

My V6's are 13 years this year and still going way too strong to consider an upgrade, especially after going through the entire other range a short while ago in a local shop, everything from TMA's, Vmoda's, Senns and so on .. quite literally with the exception of HD25's NOTHING sounded AS good.
Debrah Arnaout
just bought the hdj 500's and for the money they are pretty good. theres a 20 dollar off coupon through guitar center if you wanna save some money too
Rufus Eilerts
+1 on the Sennheiser HD-25 ii. Workhorse, rugged, audiophile quality, all parts replaceable. Biggest advantage is they aren't Beats By Dre so non DJ's won't wanna jack em haha.
Maricruz Felter
if you're willing to go up to $200, the Sennheiser HD-25 ii's are the standard. They're a great can, I own them personally. I put the velour pads on for added comfort.

If you want to be in the $125 range, the Audiotechnica ATH-M50's are a great can for the price.
Celine Surico
Yes, I don't believe there's much resale value with used headphones, maybe 10% of original cost. I would not buy used headphones myself.

As for recommendations, I do like the Allen & Heath XOne DJ headphones, XD-40 (smaller) or XD-53 (bigger). Good sound, light, good quality, cheap.
Layne Koop
Personally....I would not buy used headphones...and I would not share needles either (if I were into that kind of thing).... =;O

I have used Sony headphones for years, both the MDR7506 and MRDV600's. The V600's are comife for all day wear, and the closed earcup is really nice in a noisy environment. The 7506's are slightly flatter and have a slightly better mid range response. Both headphones are good value for money.
Nancey Inderlied
HDJ-2000s are the most comfortable headphones Ive ever used, and sound pretty solid, if you're looking to save a bit but keep the metal, look at the HDJ-1500s.
Dierdre Stillabower
I like the HD280's, and they can be found for $80 on Amazon. They do tire my ears pretty quickly, though. I'm not sure of the resale value, but for $80, it makes sense to keep them as a spare.

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy