noob questions about timecode vinyl / hybrid setup.

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: noob questions about timecode vinyl / hybrid setup.Reply
noob questions about timecode vinyl / hybrid setup.
Posted on: 24.09.2012 by Lorri Bobar
hey guys, i'm entertaining the idea of getting 1 or maybe 2 turntables to hook up into s4 for use in traktor.

some things i can't figure out:
- are you limited to the +/- pitch range of your turntable? as in, on a 1200 mk2 you could only go +/- 8%? what happens if you go beyond that in the software?
- is the idea to reset the tone arm at the beginning of the timecode vinyl each time you cue up a new track? do you guys swap between relative/absolute mode thru your set?

any help appreciated, and my apologies if you get these q's all the time.
Kristofer Krauel
Originally Posted by trux
lol true. believeing i'll hold off on the tt's for a lil while, or maybe til i've investigated the ni soundcards a little more. thanks for all your help guys.
The sound quality on the scratch certified soundcards is good IMO. I would always opt for an audio10 but thats just me.

Originally Posted by rukkus
After doing some research, I've found out what the good turntables are (1200s), and they seem like a good end goal, but I don't want to spend serious money on it to find out that turntables aren't my thing.

Can anybody suggest a reasonably priced turntable that works with Traktor, or explain what I'm looking for in greater detail so I can make a better decision?

Thanks,
ANY turntables will work with Traktor. Its the soundcard that needs to be compatible not the TT's.

Originally Posted by manchild
Heres the great thing about 1200's, buy them for 300 each and a year from now, you can sell em for 300 each.
+1 on this.
Danae Dumler
thanks! thats great info. i appreciate it.
Hehe actually it's awful info... it would be great info if you actually were able to do what you're asking! I'm not sure NI will ever change this but I believe it's silly that you can't bypass the Audio DJ soundcard and output to a better soundcard if you want.
Addie Engbrecht
is that also true for an aggregate audio device that contains a traktor certified scratch pro soundcard?
Yes
Danae Dumler
thanks man, good info to have!

ok, 1 more q about hooking turntables up to a kontrol s4

- if i hook up a turntable into the back of the kontrol s4 to use timecode vinyl, does that mean i have to use the s4's internal soundcard as my audio device for traktor?
Yes
-- at the moment, i have an echo audiofire soundcard as my main interface. my s4 is plugged in with usb into my mac and then i use internal mixing mode outputting to my audiofire/monitors. --
Why do you need the audiofire at all in this setup? The S4 should be able to do everything you need soundcard-wise, unless you have additional audio inputs you need.

so what i'm asking is: timecode vinyl on turntable --rca--> kontrol s4 ---usb--> mac
is that all i need to get the timecode signal into traktor? does the timecode go over usb or do you have to like output audio or some shiz?
Timecode audio goes into the S4 which sends the signal to the computer over USB. Audio output is also handled by the S4; it should have some outputs as well as inputs. Connect the outputs to your speakers.
Danae Dumler
is it common then to spin the vinyl back like 3 minutes each time you load up a new track? the youtube stuff i was looking at seemed to indicate that the timecode vinyl only plays for 10 minutes.
Spin it back for 3 minutes? No, just pick up the needle and move it back. Much quicker.
Rachal Janin
hey you can take away the plate of it and remove the plastic cover. You get to the inside of the turntable and the you have, if i remind it right, a blue button where you can adjust the pitch to 16%. I remember some Hardcore DJ`s made that back int he Times.

I`m sure if you check Google you will find some sort of Tutorial about it.
Federico Vilas
you can get more then 8% on 1200's...once calibrated there is a knob inside simular to brake speed knob that you can adjust to have more or less pitch control...just make sure you mark your calibrated setting spot first before adjusting

if you are going to get crazy with speed adjustment on DVS I loved my pdx2000's for DVS
Shan Bauerly
Just do it, man! Once you do, and you start fidgeting understanding (and modding) the 1200 it kinda becomes part of you. And yeah, chicks dig it. Makes everyone else look like they are checking email. (not that there's anything wrong with that...)
Maricruz Felter
You could also just buy a single turntable and use it in single table mode and assign 2 buttons to switch control between decks. That's what I did, and trust me, it was a short time til I realized I must have a 2nd... Once you go DVS its hard to go back
Kristofer Krauel
lol true. believeing i'll hold off on the tt's for a lil while, or maybe til i've investigated the ni soundcards a little more. thanks for all your help guys.
The sound quality on the scratch certified soundcards is good IMO. I would always opt for an audio10 but thats just me.

Originally Posted by rukkus
After doing some research, I've found out what the good turntables are (1200s), and they seem like a good end goal, but I don't want to spend serious money on it to find out that turntables aren't my thing.

Can anybody suggest a reasonably priced turntable that works with Traktor, or explain what I'm looking for in greater detail so I can make a better decision?

Thanks,
ANY turntables will work with Traktor. Its the soundcard that needs to be compatible not the TT's.

Originally Posted by manchild
Heres the great thing about 1200's, buy them for 300 each and a year from now, you can sell em for 300 each.
+1 on this.
Addie Engbrecht
Cassidy Galindez
This seems like the best thread to ask this;

I just picked up the Z2 and it came with timecode vinyl. I never really thought about using them until they showed up with the mixer, and now I'm honestly burning up at the chance. My only hold up is that I don't own a turntable. I haven't been DJing that long and only ever used controllers.

Thanks,
Lorri Bobar
Danae Dumler
Hehe actually it's awful info... it would be great info if you actually were able to do what you're asking! I'm not sure NI will ever change this but I believe it's silly that you can't bypass the Audio DJ soundcard and output to a better soundcard if you want.
Lorri Bobar
Addie Engbrecht
is that also true for an aggregate audio device that contains a traktor certified scratch pro soundcard?
Yes
Lorri Bobar
Addie Engbrecht
timecode is disabled in Traktor if a scratch certified sound card isnt selected.
Lorri Bobar
i'm sorry man, i don't understand.

i know that i have to plug the turntable into the s4. that bit i get :P

what i want to know is if the timecode signal comes from the turntable, into the s4, thru the usb to traktor software, where i can use internal mixing mode in traktor, set the audiofire as my soundcard/main outputs. or will timecode only work if i select the s4 as my one and only soundcard in the traktor settings.

both of these ways 'use' the s4 soundcard so i don't understand. djpropen seemed to indicate that yes, the timecode does go from the s4 to my computer via usb.
Addie Engbrecht
I will re-iterate what has already been said....you need to use the S4's interface for timecode to even work....it's not a routing issue
Lorri Bobar
ok, sorry i should have explained better. this is my studio setup and i have other devices routed thru my audiofire to my main outs (i use it like this so i can cue/mix maschine tracks in standalone while i'm running traktor.

i also prefer the sound quality on the audiofire and generally get better latencty in maschine and live with my audiofire. so if possible, i'd like to handle all my audio needs with that card. but you say timecode goes thru s4 via usb then i don't need the s4 audio interface hooked into anything.

but also, i'd like to use the turntable for sampling real vinyl so maybe i'll route the s4's soundcard to the audiofire anyway.

thanks, i really appreciate your help. as you can see i don't know anything about TTs :P
Danae Dumler

- if i hook up a turntable into the back of the kontrol s4 to use timecode vinyl, does that mean i have to use the s4's internal soundcard as my audio device for traktor?
Yes
-- at the moment, i have an echo audiofire soundcard as my main interface. my s4 is plugged in with usb into my mac and then i use internal mixing mode outputting to my audiofire/monitors. --
Why do you need the audiofire at all in this setup? The S4 should be able to do everything you need soundcard-wise, unless you have additional audio inputs you need.

so what i'm asking is: timecode vinyl on turntable --rca--> kontrol s4 ---usb--> mac
is that all i need to get the timecode signal into traktor? does the timecode go over usb or do you have to like output audio or some shiz?
Timecode audio goes into the S4 which sends the signal to the computer over USB. Audio output is also handled by the S4; it should have some outputs as well as inputs. Connect the outputs to your speakers.
Danae Dumler
is it common then to spin the vinyl back like 3 minutes each time you load up a new track? the youtube stuff i was looking at seemed to indicate that the timecode vinyl only plays for 10 minutes.
Spin it back for 3 minutes? No, just pick up the needle and move it back. Much quicker.
Lorri Bobar

Tania Somppi
I dunno tbqh regarding q1, I use M5Gs which have +/-16 pitch :thumbs:
The Stanton 150s go as far as +/- 25 iirc

I have Traktor set to switch back to absolute mode when a new track is loaded (and only load to a stopped deck) so I have to reset the tonearm (as you call it) to the start of the track each time.
Some people prefer relative mode instead, for various reasons, the timecode tracks are 12 and 18mins tho iirc so you'll need to reset the tonearm at some point (the track is endless at the centre so can play indefinitely but you shouldn't really rely on it as the accuracy is lower).
If you activate a loop, beatjump or hotcue while in absolute mode Traktor will automatically switch to relative mode for you.
Switching to internal playback will enable you to make larger pitch changes.

When the timecode vinyl starts to wear out at the start of the track, you can use relative mode to avoid the worn part of the vinyl to extend it's useful lifespan.
Lorri Bobar
cool thank you very much, these are the answers i was looking for. i am believeing of doing something similar - starting with 1 turntable to see if i like it. i may go for a 1200 mk5 which i believe doesn't have the notch at 0% and has a bit more pitch fader range - but like you say, not sure in reality how much it will affect my performance.

i like the idea of swapping your decks so you keep your active track on the turntable, i believe that would be cool and would definitely allow me to dial in some vinyl fx into certain tracks/samples.

thanks man i appreciate your help!
Maricruz Felter
I'm fairly new to using a DVS setup but can answer your questions.

1) yes, you're limited to that level of pitch adjustment from the table itself. Though if you're syncing it with the software, and you use master tempo, you can adjust it however you like. If you're using the software you can also use keylock to keep the pitch from shifting when you change the tempo. Haven't run into an issue yet where the +/- 8% is an issue.

2) I can answer this as it relates to Traktor. My timecode vinyl is double sided, one is a long play side and the other is shorter. I can't remember exactly how long each side is but I believe one is around 22 minutes and the other is 12. If I'm house mixing, I usually leave it on the long play side and need to adjust the tonearm every few songs or so.

I only have a single turntable right now (was trying to decide if I even like DVS, which is amazing so I'm going to buy a 2nd one), so I keep it in relative mode. I have 2 MIDI buttons on my mixer (Denon DN-X1600) which I've programmed to swap between deck A and deck B. It's really simple to set up and is actually kind of nice to use without worrying about a 2nd turntable ever.

One thing to note: The Technics 1200 mk2 has a detent in the pitch fader at 0%. Some people like this, some people don't, I'm still out on what I believe about it, but it does create situations where if I'm trying to make very finite adjustments to the pitch and it's right around where the 0% is, it can be tricky to dial in the exact BPM you're trying to reach.
Ciara Cuttill
never played on time codes but i believe that they play like 45s
Suzi Darbe
you can always manualy speed it up or down with your hand on the platter

and i believe serato vynils play for an hour, and if you do have do bring it back, all you have to do is lift the needle and drop it to the edge takes 2 seconds
Lorri Bobar
thanks for your help buddy.

i sometimes speed a track up or more commonly, down 18% to 25% - or more - for certain djing fx and mixing, so i might look into more modern turntables.

Suzi Darbe
ok well im not a dj but i work at a club with a dj that uses 1200's so ill try to answer your question:

he has never being limited by the 8% because anyways if you go higher or lower it the pitch/speed of the song will be horribly wrong.

once you ajust the tone arm , you do not have to play with it again,
Lorri Bobar
bumps. anyone on the community using timecode vinyl?

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy