Where to store music when using club CDJ's?

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: Where to store music when using club CDJ's?Reply
Where to store music when using club CDJ's?
Posted on: 30.12.2012 by Olin Easley
I've been considering trying out to DJ in clubs using their CDJs and I have a question. What do you guys believe is the best way to store your music? Is it usb stick or laptop or something else? Also, if you use one USB stick, can two CDJs use the tracks from it or do you need a copy?
Thanks in advance and sorry if the questions are too basic or something.
Merideth Garnder
Originally Posted by SuperDude8547
-epikeddie-

getting off topic, but I live in the valley and would love to see you at the avalon, I go from time to time when they have headliners coming to LA
We're playing on the 16th if you want to check us out! Robbie Rivera is headlining.

We also got a couple of gigs at Exchange LA, Yost Theater, and Sutra OC coming up!!! Schedule has been crazy!!!
Merideth Garnder
Originally Posted by ksandvik
If I were you I would use multiple media to cover all cases, CDRs, memory sticks, SD cards, just in case. With some duplicates, too. Memory sticks and SD cards are dirt cheap, anyway.
^^^ This

I play at a club where they provide brand new CDJ2000 Nexus decks (Avalon in Hollywood, CA). However, the mixers get moved around from room to room.

I've had times where I played on a DJM900 Nexus and other times where I played on a DJM800 (pretty standard in clubs in LA).

I usually forego the laptop and bring two USBs for each deck - analyzed in Rekordbox with all of my cue points and hot cues set before I arrive at the venue. But things do go wrong......

This past week, the USB cards weren't reading and I had to resort to my trusty CD wallet and just spin my set the old fashioned way. For clubs, get used to spinning on all formats.....it can be a lifesaver and save you from a train wreck or not getting invited back to play.
Olin Easley
Originally Posted by xs2man
You can beatmatch by ear right? Without the sync button?
I prefer to have the original BPM written down to have an approximation, but I can, yeah.
And obviously, I'd do my research about a club's gear if I decided to have a gig there, I just wanted to have some general knowledge about it cos I feel it'd be more convenient to use the club's gear rather than a controller.
Thank you both.
Olin Easley
I've been considering trying out to DJ in clubs using their CDJs and I have a question. What do you guys believe is the best way to store your music? Is it usb stick or laptop or something else? Also, if you use one USB stick, can two CDJs use the tracks from it or do you need a copy?
Thanks in advance and sorry if the questions are too basic or something.
Merideth Garnder
Originally Posted by SuperDude8547
-epikeddie-

getting off topic, but I live in the valley and would love to see you at the avalon, I go from time to time when they have headliners coming to LA
We're playing on the 16th if you want to check us out! Robbie Rivera is headlining.

We also got a couple of gigs at Exchange LA, Yost Theater, and Sutra OC coming up!!! Schedule has been crazy!!!
Cira Swanda
-epikeddie-

Mimi Mahaffee
I have my music on a 500gb Lacie 3,5 inch drive. Got some extra thumbdrives as backup and my old CD wallet.
Carlton Saracina
yeah its always good to have a backup, I roll with 2 usbs and a book of cds just in case
Olin Easley
Cheers, guys!
Tomiko Schellenberger
If you are using USBs always bring 2 (Even if playing off 900s, 2000s) I have 2 which have identical content. Why? Because 99% of the time I play out the link cables don't work!

I rarely ever use CDs any more because I find most clubs in my area have decks with USBs

And run everything through rekordbox!
Merideth Garnder
Originally Posted by ksandvik
If I were you I would use multiple media to cover all cases, CDRs, memory sticks, SD cards, just in case. With some duplicates, too. Memory sticks and SD cards are dirt cheap, anyway.
^^^ This

I play at a club where they provide brand new CDJ2000 Nexus decks (Avalon in Hollywood, CA). However, the mixers get moved around from room to room.

I've had times where I played on a DJM900 Nexus and other times where I played on a DJM800 (pretty standard in clubs in LA).

I usually forego the laptop and bring two USBs for each deck - analyzed in Rekordbox with all of my cue points and hot cues set before I arrive at the venue. But things do go wrong......

This past week, the USB cards weren't reading and I had to resort to my trusty CD wallet and just spin my set the old fashioned way. For clubs, get used to spinning on all formats.....it can be a lifesaver and save you from a train wreck or not getting invited back to play.
Celine Surico
Olin Easley
Originally Posted by xs2man
I prefer to have the original BPM written down to have an approximation, but I can, yeah.
And obviously, I'd do my research about a club's gear if I decided to have a gig there, I just wanted to have some general knowledge about it cos I feel it'd be more convenient to use the club's gear rather than a controller.
Thank you both.
Harley Zitka
CDJ-900, CDJ-2000 and CDJ-2000 nexus are the only decks that have the link feature. The CDJ-400 and CDJ-850 will read USB drives, but you need one for each player. Everything else requires CD's.
Tamela Batara
Depends on the gear they have in the club.

Older CDJ's will mean having your music on CD rather than USB. Or you will need your PC and some software, and timecodes. Newer ones you may be okay with USB sticks, but some of the less professional grade stuff will require a drive for each deck.

To be honest, if you dont know your tech good enough to already know the answer to these questions, your probably not ready to play in a club yet.

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy