Upgrading to Turntables,is it worth it?

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: Upgrading to Turntables,is it worth it?Reply
Upgrading to Turntables,is it worth it?
Posted on: 13.02.2013 by Jordon Atterholt
I have the S2 for quite some time now,and im starting to look at turntables more and more.The thing is,i believe it would be too overkill for me,since im not that good at mixing right now,but im getting there.Im playing EDM mostly,also some RnB,Hip Hop.Im believeing either upgrade to a better controller,or save up some more cash,and go for a Super OEM tables and a mixer,to go with Traktor.Should i go the turntable route,or buy a bigger controller and wait a little bit,until i am good enough at mixing to jump on the tables?
Jordon Atterholt
Originally Posted by Vekked
Depends tbh, if you're doing anything that involves manipulating the actual music (trick mixing, doubles, scratching, juggling, etc), it's definitely an upgrade. If you're holding long mixes and focussing on EQ, FX, etc etc EDM stuff, then not so much. Depends on your mixing style and how you wanna limit yourself and such.
Well,that is the other thing why im not so sure about getting turntables.I really like long mixes,using EQ a lot,FX not so much,and i just started getting more and more into mixing RnB,Hip Hop,Rap..Just that sudden change of the workflow,is what im worried about.Im sure i will get use do it,learn the basics,and make progress with time,but im not sure if i will stay long enough on tables if i get a pair..
Ervin Calvery
Yea I mean, with DVS + midi controllers I feel like there isn't much you can't do on TT that you can do on CDJ or DJ controllers but I could be wrong.
Well, I don't really use CDJs, and it's not very limiting. However, I can't play CDs - at all.
Nelida Ghouse
Originally Posted by bumtsch
Instant beatjumps and perfects loops come to mind. Of course, that's not a problem when you're on timecoded vinyl.
Yea I mean, with DVS + midi controllers I feel like there isn't much you can't do on TT that you can do on CDJ or DJ controllers but I could be wrong.
Verline Sura
i wouldnt call it an upgrade.
Emelina Chillson
Find a mate who has a set of techs, buy a few rekkids, and see if you dig it. I prefer the feel of vinyl and dvs to cdj's and controllers but integrate both in my setup. Its all personal preference. Much luck bruv.
Reid Barreiro
just get turntables,
itll be worth it.
i use smal CDJ's and when i finally started using TT's it was like this world i had never been in before. DJing felt legit and amazing. lol
Latina Samon
I say do it. I got some CDJs after having an S2 and they are miles more rewarding and fun to use. Feels a lot more natural and that's with CDJs, nevermind TTs. The S2 is great and ridiculously intuitive with Traktor but almost to the point where it takes some of the fun away, which I obviously didn't notice until I made the switch. I also believe its made my DJing come on leaps and bounds as I listen to the music more rather than rely on the laptop screen.
In my opinion, it does make you a better DJ being able to play on different formats too.
Wilfredo Kiffmeyer
I have an s4 and a pair of 1210 and I love it. the first real mixer I have was a pioneer ddj-t1 very good mixer but missing the input channels, so I trade by a S4 and bought 2 technics 1210 mk5 and use in dvs. I don't use the jogweels only the tt with timecode and I have learned the basics tricks that a never used with the digital helps....
I hope my opinion can help you
Precious Pequignot
Do it man! I just bought a pair of used stanton st150s. It just feels more real. Hell load more fun. (And more expensive, argh. needles, rugs, tc vinyl, but hey, its kinda fun collecting em too :P)

+ you can learn some turntablism. Not an upgrade per say, in terms of technology. But u'll definately learn alot

Its definitely easier to ride the pitch on turntables with the longer pitch sliders compared to controllers. I'm on an s4

But if i gig outside i'll still prolly bring my s4 if its feasible. Much lighter and portable.
Evita Mockel
As far as djing goes, you don't need to get turntables so the choice is really a personal one for you to decide. What I will say is that I don't know anyone who regrets buying a turntable, dj or otherwise. Even my dad (in his late 50s) has a pair of turntables and he doesn't mix at all. Also, as someone else said, I would rather sell a kidney than my 1200s and I believe anyone that owns a pair will tell you the same thing. FWIW, I do most of my mixing these days on a controller.
Jordon Atterholt
Depends tbh, if you're doing anything that involves manipulating the actual music (trick mixing, doubles, scratching, juggling, etc), it's definitely an upgrade. If you're holding long mixes and focussing on EQ, FX, etc etc EDM stuff, then not so much. Depends on your mixing style and how you wanna limit yourself and such.
Well,that is the other thing why im not so sure about getting turntables.I really like long mixes,using EQ a lot,FX not so much,and i just started getting more and more into mixing RnB,Hip Hop,Rap..Just that sudden change of the workflow,is what im worried about.Im sure i will get use do it,learn the basics,and make progress with time,but im not sure if i will stay long enough on tables if i get a pair..
Ervin Calvery
Well, I don't really use CDJs, and it's not very limiting. However, I can't play CDs - at all.
Nelida Ghouse
Originally Posted by bumtsch
Instant beatjumps and perfects loops come to mind. Of course, that's not a problem when you're on timecoded vinyl.
Ninfa Mazariegos
I find that hauling around an analogue mixer and turntables to be a pain in the ass compared to a controller and soundcard. Setup time is also greatly increased. I do it because I love the feel of the faders on a real mixer and the connection to the music when moving the record. I say save up and buy some technics. I would sooner sell a kidney than part with mine.
Erica Charvet
Like patch mentioned, it's not really an "upgrade" per say. Using turntables does not make you a better DJ. It's just a different method of control that you should incorporate only if your workflow calls for it.

Controllers give you a lot more control over your software. Unless you're wanting to learn to scratch, you're going to miss those features with a traditional mixer+turntables setup. Or you can use both
Lilliana Perris
TT's are fun and a good thing to spend some money on. Treat them well and they will last forever. You can only get better at using em and it will be more fun as you get better. The value in TT's is large.

Do it.....you wont be sorry. All the DJ's that only have ever used controllers and software only will be left behind on skill levels.

DO IT!!
Delila Vandommelen
I'm not familiar enough with CDJs, is there stuff you can do on them that you CAN'T do on turntables or is ridic hard on turntables?
Nelida Ghouse
Originally Posted by Patch
Turntables ARE NOT an upgrade.

I'm not familiar enough with CDJs, is there stuff you can do on them that you CAN'T do on turntables or is ridic hard on turntables?
Ervin Calvery
Go for the turntables, they're awesome.
Ngoc Ninow
Originally Posted by shogg
I have the S2 for quite some time now,and im starting to look at turntables more and more.The thing is,i believe it would be too overkill for me,since im not that good at mixing right now,but im getting there
You will probably find that your mixing, and touch will come on leaps and bounds when you get a pair of TTs.

I'd say go for it, and enjoy digging to build up your collection!
Brunilda Kora
Turntables ARE NOT an upgrade. They're just a different option. But, learning to beatmatch on TT's will give you a much better appreciation of what beatmatching is actually all about.
Rena Estabrook
YES. And start a little vinyl collection.
Verona Spradlin
For Hip Hop, you'd want the real thing. Plus I find mixing on vinyl loads easier than on a controller because of the physical manipulation of the record which makes beat matching very easy and natural.

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy