Really need your help - vinyl mixing

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: Really need your help - vinyl mixingReply
Really need your help - vinyl mixing
Posted on: 20.03.2013 by Hank Guidas
I recently got back into vinyl mixing after 2 year break. I've been mixing on cdj's in the mean time.

I can't mix on vinyl, I've lost the feeling. The problem occours when I have to correct the speed of a record. I don't know how hard to touch the platter, or how hard to push the vinyl. I either push too hard or touch the platter too hard. I just can't get the feeling right. How do you guys correct the speed with vinyl? Any tips? Whats the best way to speed up for minor corrections
Hank Guidas
I recently got back into vinyl mixing after 2 year break. I've been mixing on cdj's in the mean time.

I can't mix on vinyl, I've lost the feeling. The problem occours when I have to correct the speed of a record. I don't know how hard to touch the platter, or how hard to push the vinyl. I either push too hard or touch the platter too hard. I just can't get the feeling right. How do you guys correct the speed with vinyl? Any tips? Whats the best way to speed up for minor corrections
Hank Guidas
Thank you guys! Did a practice run today where i kept matching the same record until I was happy. The advices helped, because I almost had lost the idea of vinyl mixing. Mixing with CDJs is SO easy, even though I dont use sync buttons or similar. So coming back nearly killed me, vinyl is so much more fun though.
Tania Somppi
Twist the nipple to go faster . If that's not enough then ride the pitch with the pitch fader.
It's easier and less obtrusive to slow the other track down than speeding a track up by pushing the sticker round.
Slow the platter by pinching the nipple or dragging your nail on the sticker for small adjustments. For larger bends, brush your finger against the dots on the platter or the outer edge of the vinyl like a brake (the slippier your mats are, the more effect touching the vinyl will have).
Practice by setting 2 tracks playing and breaking the pitch on 1, then try to bring them back into sync without it sounding obvious that you're making adjustments.
Don't forget that the pitch needs adjusting on 1 of the decks via the pitch fader too, if they've fallen out of sync and you need to bend them back into sync.
Doreen Schurle
It's all about the spindle. If you're nudging the track, you should pretty much just be touching the spindle, not the record itself. You may find it useful to OCCASIONALLY brake with your finger (very gently) against the edge of the platter, but 99% of the time you'll be working the spindle.
Emelina Chillson
When correcting pitch, get used to doing so by adjusting the pitch fader up or down then back to the correct position in order to make fine adjustemnets (this gets rid of anyone hearing you adjust the speed of the record drastically). For larger adjustments:
When slowly light apply pressure to the platter,
apply high pressure pinching the spindle,
or use super light movements grazing the label of the record.

When speeding up:
Twist the spindle in a clockwise motion,
gently graze the record label,
gently graze the platter where the metal is flat at the bottom.

For beat correction, grab the record using the flat of your middle finger moving your hand in a forward to back motion to avoid hitting the record to hard. As soon as you grab the record, use the crossfader to cut the audio then turn it on when you release.

Keep practicing and never let your vinyl collect dust again mate. Much luck and have fun.
Delila Vandommelen
I've read some refer to it as the "velvet touch".
Me, I'm riding the pitch most of the time but if I ever have to touch the record, then it's a dab of the finger on the label with that touch. Eventually I'll circle forward or backward on the label if I need a more significant correction but I'm never pressing down so much that I can't feel the paper sliding under my fingertips.
IMO that's about the pressure you'd feel from the weight of a sheet of paper...

If I'm going to touch the platter then it's as Johney said - gentle taps on the dots, slight flicking motion if it needs a bigger nudge. I do the same motion on the side of a cdj platter, but I can understand how getting used to the extra pressure that requires would mess your "calibration" so to speak
Brunilda Kora
Any tips?
Stop typing. Continue practicing.
Augustine Mitzen
for nudging forward i just spin the record a bit with my finger on the label, slowing down by tapping the platter's sides as opposed to keeping my finger there because that slows down the record more and more and i usually screw up that way.

generally, do it gently and it'll be good
Kasandra Kreindler
i believe its something you just need to re calibrate your hands to, but if you continue to have trouble try just riding the pitch fader rather than touching the platter.

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy