Advice on turntables. yup.

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: Advice on turntables. yup.Reply
Advice on turntables. yup.
Posted on: 21.03.2013 by Mi Gabele
Never looked at this community much, but things changing the more I learn about mixing and other stuff, so I decided to get a pair of turntables, for beatmaching and joy.

I could read reviews on what is better vinyl or cdj, but it depends on a person. That is why I endep up here.

I lack of knowledge about vinyls, cus CDJ thing seems to be simple as a mp3 player, here is some natural questions:
Can a vinyl play any mp3 file from a laptop using for exp. traktor? Probably I just need to put the vinyls on a turntable and they will be used as a any track that is loaded on selected deck? ( I have got a pair of vinyls that came with z2)
Anything else I'm missing?

Things I play is mainly techno and some drum'n'bass, I dont like to scratch at all. My main goals are to play some loops and combine them with two track when it is the right time. My current set up is z2 and x1 + I'll get a midi akai keyboard for some more mapping.

Hopefully you guys will help me to decide! Cheers.
Kristofer Krauel
Originally Posted by Kazkox
Never looked at this community much, but things changing the more I learn about mixing and other stuff, so I decided to get a pair of turntables, for beatmaching and joy.

I could read reviews on what is better vinyl or cdj, but it depends on a person. That is why I endep up here.

I lack of knowledge about vinyls, cus CDJ thing seems to be simple as a mp3 player, here is some natural questions:
Can a vinyl play any mp3 file from a laptop using for exp. traktor? Probably I just need to put the vinyls on a turntable and they will be used as a any track that is loaded on selected deck? ( I have got a pair of vinyls that came with z2)

Things I play is mainly techno and some drum'n'bass, I dont like to scratch at all. My main goals are to play some loops and combine them with two track when it is the right time. My current set up is z2 and x1 + I'll get a midi akai keyboard for some more mapping.

Everything you will need to use turntables with Traktor comes with your Z2. The X1 will also make the perfect companion for loops etc.

And as has already been said you certainly DONT need to scratch to enjoy TT's.

Where in Stoke do you live? Thats where I was born and lived until 12 months ago.
Qiana Castellucci
Originally Posted by mdcdesign
If you're not a scratch DJ, there's not much point having turntables to be honest.
Please ignore this ^^^^^^

- TT's are the most enjoyable way of getting into the *soul* of the music you play as they require more interaction and feel in order to get it right. I use both and prefer the TT's by far. PS - I dont scratch EVER.
Doreen Schurle

If you're not a scratch DJ, there's not much point having turntables to be honest.
Mi Gabele

Jenna Skeem
I dont scratch either and i love my 1210's, i mix mainly top 40 when im in clubs, and even then i use 1210's. Yes this is partly to try and increase the enjoymnet cause playing top 40 is sould destroying. but 1210's > everything
Mi Gabele
You guys made the point, although I'm more like a controllerism spinner, but would love to spin some old fashioned style, expecaly for beat matching. Still at the moment I cant afford them as I'm about to change the mixer. I'll see If there is some chance to try them at any guitar center. On the other hand, vinyls and techno is what I like the most about turntables

No more Z2 mate, I'm selling it and buying a x1600. X1 will be great for looping as well! Plus some custom mappings will let me master looping stuff. I lived in Europe then moved here to find my fortune and decided to study music tech. Currently I'm in newcastle, really quite here As from the stuff you got, you might moved to US if I'm right.
Kristofer Krauel

Everything you will need to use turntables with Traktor comes with your Z2. The X1 will also make the perfect companion for loops etc.

And as has already been said you certainly DONT need to scratch to enjoy TT's.

Where in Stoke do you live? Thats where I was born and lived until 12 months ago.
Qiana Castellucci
Originally Posted by mdcdesign
Please ignore this ^^^^^^

- TT's are the most enjoyable way of getting into the *soul* of the music you play as they require more interaction and feel in order to get it right. I use both and prefer the TT's by far. PS - I dont scratch EVER.
Maryellen Buffett
Have to agree, why if you don't scratch is it pointless getting tt's if u don't scratch!
Never scratched (although I'm learning now) but still had hours of enjoyment spinning the TT's

Got to say in all the years I went clubbing I didn't once hear the dj (and I've seen a few) do any major scratching!!!
Tamela Batara
Not true.

Just because you don't scratch doesn't mean you don't enjoy the feel of playing with vinyl, timecoded or not. I mainly spin house / tech / techno, don't scratch, and love using my DVS set-up.

You will need Trakto Scratch, and timecoded vinyl to use TT's in your set-up. You probably have this with your Z2 if you got your timecoded vinyls with the mixer.

The TC vinyl sends a signal, through the soundcard, to TSP (Traktor Scratch Pro), which is used to manipulate the music file your wishing to play. So you can control the music as if it were a real piece of vinyl. So minute adjustments can be made on the platter / spindle / pitch controller, or cue-ing a track etc... are all the same as if you were actually using real vinyl.

I personally love doing it this way, as do many others, so all you really need are a pair of turntables. I have 4 Technics SL1210's, and it's great fun. Plus, you can always buy real records and play them if you want.
Doreen Schurle

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy