Tip for people mixing in the 120-130 bpm range

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: Tip for people mixing in the 120-130 bpm rangeReply
Tip for people mixing in the 120-130 bpm range
Posted on: 08.04.2013 by Hank Guidas
Hi,

So I've known this small tip for some years now and I wanted to share it. Many of you may already know it, but for those who doesn't it might be useful.

The tip is basically that 1 bpm is around 0,8 % pitch increase or decrease, when in the 120-130 bpm range. It's almost never exactly 0,8 % but it's a good starting point. It's usually 0,78 etc.. 2 bpm is of course 0,8 % multiplied by two. However, the further you increase/decrease the bpm, the less the rule applies. So if you want to increase the the bpm with 6 or more, then it's pretty far from 0,8*6.

I have a cdj without bpm display, so it's really useful when mixing on crappy gear. It's also useful when mixing vinyl, atleast as a starting point to mix from, turntables ofc doesn't have a bpm display, but you can kinda figure out where to put the pitch according to the lines by the pitch. You still have to use your ears to get it perfect though.

You can basically use this with all genres, atleast if you mix within a certain range, it's just to get your caculator and do the math.

Hope somebody find this useful.
Federico Vilas
Originally Posted by Patch
See - THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN' ABOUT!!!!

Maths, y'all. It's good stuff.

Please see above...
3rd shift math's not that good, haha, I put .64 weeks when I was justifying my point of how much of the 2 weeks were being used...

need to get my brain back in....wait for it....wait for it....SYNC!
Federico Vilas
Originally Posted by johney
so you bump it after more than two weeks.

cool, bro
didn't realize that but two weeks is 14 days...4/22-4/13 = 9...so <2 weeks bro
Federico Vilas

cool, bro
didn't realize that but two weeks is 14 days...4/22-4/13 = 9...so 9/14 = .64 weeks <2 weeks bro
Federico Vilas
Originally Posted by Patch

Please see above...
3rd shift math's not that good, haha, I put .64 weeks when I was justifying my point of how much of the 2 weeks were being used...

need to get my brain back in....wait for it....wait for it....SYNC!
Brunilda Kora
Originally Posted by DjLiquitATL
didn't realize that but two weeks is 14 days...4/22-4/13 = 9...so 9/14 = .64 weeks

i know the bpm of +/- all of my tracks, but beatmatching by calculating how much you should move the pitch fader is whole another thing.
Please see above...
Augustine Mitzen
my bad, i read the date wrong (america, cough cough)
Federico Vilas

cool, bro
didn't realize that but two weeks is 14 days...4/22-4/13 = 9...so <2 weeks bro
Federico Vilas

cool, bro
didn't realize that but two weeks is 14 days...4/22-4/13 = 9...so 9/14 = .64 weeks <2 weeks bro
Augustine Mitzen

cool, bro
Federico Vilas
Not another bpm thread!...nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooo!
Augustine Mitzen
i know the bpm of +/- all of my tracks, but beatmatching by calculating how much you should move the pitch fader is whole another thing.
Albina Androski
Knowing the general bpm is fine...but if you rely on a formula of pitch% to bpm change, you're not a very good mixer.
Gaynell Rydberg
I don't believe it's a bad thign to do at all.

It's preparing your tracks and knowing the BPM beforehand. You'll figure out approximately what BPM you want to move to.
Hank Guidas
I am :O
Brunilda Kora
This is what we call in the UK MATHEMATICS.

You'd be surprised how often you can use maths in everyday life...
Augustine Mitzen
i don't really believe it's a good idea for someone who's starting, it's a little crutch they'll grow to exploiting and being dependent on it
Karolis Petrauskas
This is a nice tip for people learning how to mix. It would help people get the tempo right so they can line up the beats. Although for the long haul, ears work best, eventually your hand just moves as soon as you hear the first couple of kicks or notes.
Augustine Mitzen
i personally found myself relying too much on it even if i didin't want to.
takes out something out of DJing u kno
Hank Guidas
True true. I just don't see the point in that tbh. No point in spending more time on beatmatching than necessary. If it's around 0,8 everytime, why tape it? I can practice ONLY using my ears when im mixing vinyl
Augustine Mitzen
piece of paper + tape and you're good
Hank Guidas
Although, that is helpful i found out it's a bad idea,
I started to do math and rely on the % counters all the time, so i taped them over on CDJs at home. Quite a difference
Ya. I'd recommend people to have their beat matching down, before doing it. I just can't ignore it after I noticed it
Augustine Mitzen
Although, that is helpful i found out it's a bad idea,
I started to do math and rely on the % counters all the time, so i taped them over on CDJs at home. Quite a difference
Manuel Schleuter
Best bpm counters are your ears. Don't ever rely on display or math. Sure it helps that you know how much one beat is in % approximately so you can get close faster. But that fine tuning and expecially proper cueing are the places where you need real skill. Inaccurate bpm counter won't help you there.

Ps. The mathematical formula is (A-B)

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy