vinyl beatmatching question

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: vinyl beatmatching questionReply
vinyl beatmatching question
Posted on: 28.05.2013 by Nikki Mcpeek
Ok so track A is playing. I'm cueing track b. When I decrease the pitch on trackB to -4 I would get a
Beatmatch every 5 or so bars.

So what I do next is start to increase the trackB pitchfader to default (0 duh) but along the ride I lose the
Beatmatch.

So I have a question, is it possible for two records to hold a beatmatch for over a minute?

If no, then mayb these two tracks aren't meant to be?
If yes, then it may be me who needs to keep practicing.
Lashawn Maycock
Originally Posted by Patch
Glad I could help.

Just make sure you show them 'tables some love and scratch once in a little while!

"Scratching and House Music?!?!" I hear you scream? I got 2 words for y'all.

Eddie Halliwell.
...and Sasha of old

Also a little tip with TT's, well this works on the Technics and only for 33 rpm records, press and hold the 33 button and at the same time give the 45 button a quick tap to speed up the slower track momentarily. Don't try this with 45's, it doesn't work, heheh
Qiana Castellucci
Originally Posted by botstein
Ah, the "turntable caress."
I'd hate to believe what you refer the "gently squeezing the spindle" thing then!!

Nikki Mcpeek
Glad I could help.

Just make sure you show them 'tables some love and scratch once in a little while!

Eddie Halliwell.
no scratching for me, i enjoy grooving to beats i like to hear
Nikki Mcpeek
For me, by far the most accurate way of doing it, is by getting as-close-as-goddamn-possible with the pitch fader, then using just the spindle to keep it in time. A quick twist to speed up, or a quick pinch to slow down.

This is because it is much harder to affect the speed of the motor using the spindle, so ONLY small adjustments are possible using this method. You have much more precise control. (It is possible to make larger adjustments using this method - but your thumb and the inside of your finger won't thank you for it if you do it for a whole evening ! Ouchy...)

Now, when you are brushing the platter, you can exert more force on teh motor, and make larger adjustments. These are easier to hear...

So - brush the platter (slowing down) and nudge the label forwards (speeding up) for larger adjustments when you are cueing up/beat-matching, and use the spindle for very fine adjustments (speed up or slow down) once you're actually mixing/playing out.

To answer the OP's question - if I understand it right:

NO. Once you have 2 REAL records on turntables set at exactly the right tempo using the pitch fader, you cannot just leave it and expect them to stay in time. Minor adjustments will always be necessary.
oh i thought this was the most helpful post in my entire thread. patch this isnt the first time you gave me quality feedback. thanks a lot bro. you opened my eyes more, but now i'm starting to careless about perfection because i seen videos of pro house/techno dj's doing vinyl and they are not perfect at all. therefore, this encourages me to not go down the cdj route and stick to TT
Ervin Calvery
Originally Posted by iambiggles
For me, I use the "finger on the side of the platter" to slow it down...
Celestine Porebski
Originally Posted by kooper1980
I was the same but opposite.... if that makes sense. I always prefer to bring the new track in knowing that it will be slightly too slow and speed it up with a gentle finger pull on the vinyl label.
I also much prefer speeding up the record to slowing it down. I don't know why, but I feel I have more control that way....
Brunilda Kora
^^^Nice one - I'd forgotten about that!

Pro Tip!
Lashawn Maycock
Glad I could help.

Eddie Halliwell.
...and Sasha of old

Also a little tip with TT's, well this works on the Technics and only for 33 rpm records, press and hold the 33 button and at the same time give the 45 button a quick tap to speed up the slower track momentarily. Don't try this with 45's, it doesn't work, heheh
Qiana Castellucci
Originally Posted by botstein
I'd hate to believe what you refer the "gently squeezing the spindle" thing then!!

Nikki Mcpeek
Glad I could help.

Eddie Halliwell.
no scratching for me, i enjoy grooving to beats i like to hear
Brunilda Kora
Glad I could help.

Eddie Halliwell.
Nikki Mcpeek
For me, by far the most accurate way of doing it, is by getting as-close-as-goddamn-possible with the pitch fader, then using just the spindle to keep it in time. A quick twist to speed up, or a quick pinch to slow down.

This is because it is much harder to affect the speed of the motor using the spindle, so ONLY small adjustments are possible using this method. You have much more precise control. (It is possible to make larger adjustments using this method - but your thumb and the inside of your finger won't thank you for it if you do it for a whole evening ! Ouchy...)

Now, when you are brushing the platter, you can exert more force on teh motor, and make larger adjustments. These are easier to hear...

So - brush the platter (slowing down) and nudge the label forwards (speeding up) for larger adjustments when you are cueing up/beat-matching, and use the spindle for very fine adjustments (speed up or slow down) once you're actually mixing/playing out.

NO. Once you have 2 REAL records on turntables set at exactly the right tempo using the pitch fader, you cannot just leave it and expect them to stay in time. Minor adjustments will always be necessary.
oh i thought this was the most helpful post in my entire thread. patch this isnt the first time you gave me quality feedback. thanks a lot bro. you opened my eyes more, but now i'm starting to careless about perfection because i seen videos of pro house/techno dj's doing vinyl and they are not perfect at all. therefore, this encourages me to not go down the cdj route and stick to TT
Ervin Calvery
Originally Posted by iambiggles
For me, I use the "finger on the side of the platter" to slow it down...
Lilliana Perris
I cheat.....not Sync...but my TT's have pitch bend + - buttons.

Its naff tho...so dont use it that much.
Brunilda Kora

Nikki Mcpeek
well i have no choice but to take all your advices. after all i don't want to look like a fool using cdjs just to play tracks and nothing else.
Celestine Porebski
Originally Posted by kooper1980
I was the same but opposite.... if that makes sense. I always prefer to bring the new track in knowing that it will be slightly too slow and speed it up with a gentle finger pull on the vinyl label.
I also much prefer speeding up the record to slowing it down. I don't know why, but I feel I have more control that way....
Tamela Batara
I used to do the touching the record thing, but then you can clearly hear any adjustments made while in the mix.

Now I lightly brush the platter to slow it down, and twist the spindle to speed it up. It's still not perfect, but a lot better than touching the label / record to make the fine adjustments, and gives more control.

Not got the hang of riding the pitch yet. Might try it out, but pretty sure it would take a while to get subtle enough at it.
Qiana Castellucci
For me, I use the "finger on the side of the platter" to slow it down, and a quick spin on the label to speed it up, but only when finding the initial beatmatch. Once they're both in sync, I ride the fader and do the same as MDC above with the spindle as using the other method is definitely detectable in the mix (as the 1210's I use dont have the key lock that Traktor and some other TT's have ). I've mixed most genres over the years (27 years this year!) and whilst you can keep a good running mix going for 1 or more minutes with Techno/House etc (or any modern, mostly electronic music), you'll always need to ride the fader a little over time. But try that with some of the stuff i still mix like old Disco, rare groove, Northern Soul or Go-Go! Anything with a live drummer or non-sequenced rhythm sections is a bugger to keep in time. Possible, but takes practice.

So, basically - stick with it. You'll get it eventually and you'll find it gets easier. But believe me, even after nearly 30 years at it, its still possible to lose it with some tracks that just drift randomly (this is very true of some edits where the re-mixer didn't keep a tight rein on the sample/loop sizes and you can find that it jumps about all over the place)
Kristofer Krauel
Originally Posted by djchriswoods.co.uk
personally ive never 'ridden the pitch', i would get as close as i could to a good match then if needed make manual adjustments with my hand on the platter...if i was finding it hard, i would of been bias to having the incoming track slightly faster and used a finger on the platter to slow it gently and keep it in check
Teresia Janusch
personally ive never 'ridden the pitch', i would get as close as i could to a good match then if needed make manual adjustments with my hand on the platter...if i was finding it hard, i would of been bias to having the incoming track slightly faster and used a finger on the platter to slow it gently and keep it in check
Doreen Schurle
When I used to mix vinyl, I only ever used the pitchfader to match the tempos; to keep the tracks in time for long blends (3-4 minutes), I used the center spindle. A squeeze or turn of the spindle is probably the best way to manipulate the speed of the deck while the faders are up.
Audrey Pinda
It's called riding the pitch, and there is a lot to be said for it.
Nikki Mcpeek
Originally Posted by hellnegative
It is posssible to have two records beatmatched for more than a minute bruv. It just takes practice. Especially in EDM where natural drum swing doesnt come into play much. There is a natural tracking difference that causes tracks to slip as it gets closer to the label, but you wont notice it for a period shorter than two minutes. Practice makes perfect man. Just keep at it.
but in order for that to happen you would have to keep moving the pitch fader up and down ?
Emelina Chillson
It is posssible to have two records beatmatched for more than a minute bruv. It just takes practice. Especially in EDM where natural drum swing doesnt come into play much. There is a natural tracking difference that causes tracks to slip as it gets closer to the label, but you wont notice it for a period shorter than two minutes. Practice makes perfect man. Just keep at it.
Nikki Mcpeek
Originally Posted by HighTopFade
I mix hip hop and top 40. Having two tracks beatmatched for over a minute is unusual. Having them closely matched for 30 seconds is pretty good in my opinion.

Do you calculate your beats per minute?
no i dont calculate it, although its recommended and pro djs do it.

umm i just had a pro dj tell me that you have to keep moving the pitchfader constantly "right after" you found the beatmatch, this way you can stay in sync. THAT sounds insane too a newbie like myself.

this is house/techno etc. and i believe that could discourage me from becoming a vinyl dj and flip on to cdjs. but i havent decided yet. im still a newb.
Rena Estabrook
I mix hip hop and top 40. Having two tracks beatmatched for over a minute is unusual. Having them closely matched for 30 seconds is pretty good in my opinion.

Do you calculate your beats per minute?
Addie Engbrecht
Get the pitch fader as close as possible then after that its all about slight adjustments you might have to make by slowing or speeding up the platter by hand when you hear it starting to drift a little .......honestly the more you train your ears thru practice, the easier and quicker it is you recognize what needs to be done w/ your hands, as it's not really about the skill of your hands, and really more about how trained your ears are.

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy