Beatmatching + Low torque

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: Beatmatching + Low torqueReply
Beatmatching + Low torque
Posted on: 30.05.2013 by Carmel Cobbs
Hello everyone!

I need your advice very much, googling gave me nothing.
I'm a beginner and trying to learn some beatmatching.
I have a pair of Omnitronic dd-2520 having ">1kg/cm" torque, which I suppose is "=1kg/cm".
Also, I have a pair of default omnitronic slipmats, and the problem is - I can't hold plates without stopping the platter as they do, so I'm forced to hold em by the edge. It helps, but doesn't completely solves the problem.
Any advices of what to do in this situation? Will scratch mats save me or I have no choice aside of buying new turntables?

Thanks!
Carmel Cobbs
Originally Posted by Ross
Are you sure you don't just have a heavy hand and are actually pushing the record down, as apposed to resting your hand down?
Yeah, I'm 100% sure, tried to apply the lightest pressure possible. It's either everything stops or everything goes
Carmel Cobbs
Hello everyone!

I need your advice very much, googling gave me nothing.
I'm a beginner and trying to learn some beatmatching.
I have a pair of Omnitronic dd-2520 having ">1kg/cm" torque, which I suppose is "=1kg/cm".
Also, I have a pair of default omnitronic slipmats, and the problem is - I can't hold plates without stopping the platter as they do, so I'm forced to hold em by the edge. It helps, but doesn't completely solves the problem.
Any advices of what to do in this situation? Will scratch mats save me or I have no choice aside of buying new turntables?

Thanks!
Len Lukawski
Anything that minimizes the need for downward pressure on low torque decks is a good thing. The old greaseproof paper or wax paper (if you're one of them there American types) under a set of any slipmats will help a huge amount.

Funnily enough, I had a pair of 1210s a gazillion years ago when I was slimmer, younger and better looking and drum & bass was just emerging. Up until that point I had only been playing house and techno and for some reason couldn't mix d&b for love nor money. A mate of mine had the wankiest pair of budget decks on the planet that he paid a hundred and fifty quid for, along with a big spanking pile of new D&B tunes he couldn't mix at all (he could't mix anything - he still can't). For whatever reason, I found myself being able to effortlessly mix these tunes on the crappy decks in ways I couldn't do on my 1210s. You needed a very fine and light touch. You lightly glided your finger on the edge of the record to slow it down - never touched the platter. You'd use the spindle to push the record on if needed and you hoped that you never needed to go anywhere near the pitch faders...

Anyway. That's my story for the day. Now - please, someone go buy my S4. I'm broke and willing to let this gear got for silly money.
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
you can also just use furniture polish on your platters with any half decent slipmat that comes with your decks, If your into scratching the best is butter rugs, but they can be overkill if you're just mixing tunes.
Yong Aptekar
I've got ortofon mats with a blue genie on them, and I use them for scratching. Most slipmats will work well, just pick one with a picture you like. Just don't use those rubber ones that come with turntables. They are only good as placemats
Amelia Supe
anybody recommend a good set of slipmats?
Carmel Cobbs
TY guys for your answers, gonna change slipmats and try paper thing if that won't help
Danae Dumler
Real slipmats will make a huge difference.
Rena Estabrook
All excellent suggestions. Fade in your mix when your beatmatched. Just a little later but a lot cleaner.
Len Lukawski
Learn to mix on these and you'll make for an excellent DJ. Keep treading this path until you can do it and everything that comes after will be like freewheeling down a big hill in the sunshine.
Yong Aptekar
Your turntables were designed to digitize your record collection, so beatmatching is going to be a pain with such low torque.

However, few things that will help:
- lighter touch
- ride that pitch fader like a county fair pony to adjust your tracks
- practice giving the record a little push when you let it go. Its going to take a second for the record to get to proper speed, so that little push will help.

Unfortunately, if you are wanting to scratch, you are going to need decks with a little more torque.
Tania Somppi
New mats and some paper mats of some kind to go between the mats and the platter.
Parchment paper, greaseproof, not wax paper cos the wax comes off, baking paper, PTFE baking sheets, Kevlar baking sheets, plain ol paper, inner sleeves, plastic record cover .... I tried em all and some combos too with my old Vestax decks to get the right amount of slip and grip
I found I had to be a lot more hands on with low torque decks than I am with my M5Gs. Try to learn how to spin the record with a finger on the sticker to hold it in time while you adjust the pitch fader to match, with the other hand. With a bit of practice you should be able to feel when you're close to the right pitchfader position by the amount of adjustments you're doing with your finger on the sticker.
Brunilda Kora
get rid of the decks and get some super OEMS.
This will definitely work.

Expensive, though...
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
i don't recommend grease proof paper or record inner sleeves... it builds up nasty static which sucks dust onto your precious vinyl collection eating into the grooves and wearing out your needles. butter rugs seem to have less static, but you shouldn't really need them unless you want to scratch... if that's the case though, get rid of the decks and get some super OEMS.
Brunilda Kora
Learn to sop the record with the pad of your finger. You can do it with practically NO downforce, enough friction is created by your fingertips to stop the record spinning.

Try some new slipmats, or butter rugs. You could even cut some grease proof paper to the shape of a record to put UNDERNEATH your slipmat. This works great.
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
use the spindle to speed up and slow the record, there is more torque in the middle and less friction than the edge. I started on crappy pioneer decks, The worse the decks you have the better at beatmatching you will become, but when you can pull off basic mixes upgrade and you will have amazing skill and be able to hear when tracks aren't matched and instinctively correct them.
Hank Guidas
I'd say so too. I have Numarks 1650's which doesn't have a high torque either, I can perfectly beatmatch with those.

EDIT
Looked it up. Mine has the same torque as yours
Carmel Cobbs
Originally Posted by Ross
Are you sure you don't just have a heavy hand and are actually pushing the record down, as apposed to resting your hand down?
Yeah, I'm 100% sure, tried to apply the lightest pressure possible. It's either everything stops or everything goes
Annalisa Shogren

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy