Buy: either a pair of cdj 1000 mk3 for $1000 or buy 1 900 And wait

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: Buy: either a pair of cdj 1000 mk3 for $1000 or buy 1 900 And waitReply
Buy: either a pair of cdj 1000 mk3 for $1000 or buy 1 900 And wait
Posted on: 13.05.2013 by Flor Dispain
Looking to buy my first pair of cdjs. I have little experience with cdjs but have DJ for awhile now and now how to use them. I have about 1000 I can spend right now, and I can get a pair of used cdj 1000 mk3 for about $1000. I already have a rane sl3 for my serato. Just need to know if I should spend another 1000 on two 900s. Thoughts?
Annalisa Shogren
Originally Posted by Dimitris
I believe that the 700 has a really poor sound and built quality.
I would challenge you to tell the difference in sound quality side by side. That's a typical opinion of a Xone user, from my past experience. Build quality, yeah fair enough. The 800 was the club standard mixer for years so it's clearly a well built brute, but owning the 700 and using the 800 in the past, I would say the build quality was extremely comparable, and if you don't often use effects, don't bother with getting the 800 just for colour effects.

If it was me, I'd get the 850. But the 750 is a viable option. You get used to not having 4 dedicated filter knobs anyway.
Ilana Andretta
Originally Posted by robbyluca
Why aren't you a fan of Pioneer mixers? Why is the DJM-700 a definite no? Elaborate when you give your opinion.
I apologise for not explaining myself the reason I am not a fan of pioneer mixers but I just don't like the feel when playing with them and that is my personal opinion. First of all djm850, 800 and 700 are all digital mixers and to be honest to me are basically the same. Comparing 700 with 800 apart from the differences in effects, I believe that the 700 has a really poor sound and built quality. I find that djm800 is much better mixer than 700 when it comes to quality but it's a bit old since the nexus is out more than a year now. So from djm850,800 and 700, I would go for 850 first cause it is the newest model, then for the 800 which is a guarantee and if not able to find any of these two then I would go for my last option, the 700. I can understand there are differences in the prices and I am sure 700 is the cheapest one at this moment. Don't get me wrong but when it comes to a mixer it's up to the buyer to decide what really fullfill his needs.
Emelina Paglia
I am not a fun of pioneer mixers. Between those three I would go first for the djm850. The djm700 definately no. But If you ask me I believe Xone42 or Xone62 is better choice than the djm. But that is my personal opinion. You should see what each mixer offers you and then you decide which one is best for you, depending what you wanna do with it.
Why aren't you a fan of Pioneer mixers? Why is the DJM-700 a definite no? Elaborate when you give your opinion.
Ilana Andretta
Originally Posted by Ashorty123
Okay yea so I'm leaning towards 850s, since I'm going to use a Serato hookup. What would be a good djm mixer that would give me enough to Learn on that I might see at venues. Djm 700/800 850? Major differences or should I just go with something completely different. Thanks again for the help
I am not a fun of pioneer mixers. Between those three I would go first for the djm850. The djm700 definately no. But If you ask me I believe Xone42 or Xone62 is better choice than the djm. But that is my personal opinion. You should see what each mixer offers you and then you decide which one is best for you, depending what you wanna do with it.
Ilana Andretta
Originally Posted by makar1
The 850 is not the same as the 900 and 2000 for Traktor. It will only work as a basic MIDI controller in Traktor rather than HID.
Fixed it. You are right. Traktor doesn't support Advanced HID mode yet. I googled it and they were suppose to fix it with TSP 2.6 but they didn't yet. However now the cdj850 and Traktor work together with full functionality of the cdj by using the sound card that is on board. You just have to aggregate your cdjs in one sound "device" same as the 2000 and the 900. Serato in the other hand already supports Advanced HID Mode with cdj850
Ilana Andretta
Originally Posted by DjGil
The 850 is rekorbox capable if that's what your lookin for, but straight to computer through midi? Sorry but that's only for the 900s and 2000s mate.
No, you are wrong. Cdj850 can definately be used as a controller to use Traktor. Same as cdj2000 and 900 via HID Mode
Ilana Andretta
Can someone tell me what the LINK function specifically does. I'm interested now in the 850s, and a djm. Should ask as well what used djm to go for as well. Thanks guys for the information, I've googled and seen some but just wieghing out my options.
The Pro DJ Link function is a feature cdj2000 and 900 only have. It allows up to 4 players to communicate together via ethernet cable. In simple words you can put a USB stick in one cdj and the rest cdjs will read from same USB. Other than that and the smaller screen cdj850 can offer same things. It also supports HID mode so if you are also a Traktor/Serato user you will not need timecode cds or external soundcard to use it as a controller.
Hank Guidas
You guys and your sound quality. The whole community is filled with how poor the sound is from pioneer mixers. Come on.. It's ok to prefer something of course. But no pioneer mixer has shitty sound
Cira Ditz
Not sure if this was already mentioned but having been in a similar dilema a fair few months back, I'd def get the two 1000s for the time being. You can practice on those, and knowing how they work/feel would be invaluable for if you end up in a club where there's only a pair of 1000s (this was pretty much my last residency). You can also explore the hot cues/storing them on the little memory cards if you wanted, the jog tension etc, and have your tracks prepped with cds and all ready to go if you get offered those kind of gigs.

Then once you've saved enough, you'd likely be able to sell the 1000s for what you paid for (I was lucky enough to sell mine slightly more than I bought them for) and get the 900s, or maybe even by then 900Nexus if they're a reality at that point (or whatever nice new gear suddenly announced then?!), and you've all that good experience of working with the 1000s.
Alphonso Deitchman
There is nothing wrong with the build or sound quality from any of the recent Pioneer or Allen & Heath mixers. Pure sound quality in this range is not "personal choice" and any of the high-end mixers from either company will sound decent.

Pioneer is the club standard because they produce mixers with all the key features necessary, along with decent build and sound quality to match. Same applies to the Xone 92 which is why you also see it in clubs.
Ilana Andretta
I have been reading these community s for a while now. I got to admit that some ppl here are really aggressive or believe these community s belong to them and I am not talking about you @Ross. I am gonna say this again about mixers. It is a personal choise and depends to what the dj needs from the mixer. For me built and sound quality in djm700 and and 800 is crap. I prefer the djm800 not cause the effects but because it feels much better than the 700. To me the 800 has better sound than the 700 but as someone challenged me above if you put them side by side you propably will not notice so many differences cause both of them are almost the same. Now there is a huge difference in price but that is another story. Oh and both djm700 and 800 have crappy effects that most of them you will never have to use. Pioneer mixers are the club standar cause pioneer pays for it to be advertised. Now @Ross cause you say it is a typical opinion of an Xone user, I challenge you to put an Allen & Heath mixer next to your djm and compare.
Annalisa Shogren
I believe that the 700 has a really poor sound and built quality.
I would challenge you to tell the difference in sound quality side by side. That's a typical opinion of a Xone user, from my past experience. Build quality, yeah fair enough. The 800 was the club standard mixer for years so it's clearly a well built brute, but owning the 700 and using the 800 in the past, I would say the build quality was extremely comparable, and if you don't often use effects, don't bother with getting the 800 just for colour effects.

If it was me, I'd get the 850. But the 750 is a viable option. You get used to not having 4 dedicated filter knobs anyway.
Emelina Paglia
Ah! Ok! I've never used an Xone... I have no idea what's good or bad about it! But I did find this article comparing some mixers. It might be useful.

http://www.djresource.eu/Topics/stor...JM+COMPARISON/
Ilana Andretta
Originally Posted by robbyluca
I apologise for not explaining myself the reason I am not a fan of pioneer mixers but I just don't like the feel when playing with them and that is my personal opinion. First of all djm850, 800 and 700 are all digital mixers and to be honest to me are basically the same. Comparing 700 with 800 apart from the differences in effects, I believe that the 700 has a really poor sound and built quality. I find that djm800 is much better mixer than 700 when it comes to quality but it's a bit old since the nexus is out more than a year now. So from djm850,800 and 700, I would go for 850 first cause it is the newest model, then for the 800 which is a guarantee and if not able to find any of these two then I would go for my last option, the 700. I can understand there are differences in the prices and I am sure 700 is the cheapest one at this moment. Don't get me wrong but when it comes to a mixer it's up to the buyer to decide what really fullfill his needs.
Emelina Paglia
Ilana Andretta
Okay yea so I'm leaning towards 850s, since I'm going to use a Serato hookup. What would be a good djm mixer that would give me enough to Learn on that I might see at venues. Djm 700/800 850? Major differences or should I just go with something completely different. Thanks again for the help
Emelina Paglia
Any of those 3 would be good. Main difference would be that the DJM-700 you have only 1 manual filter, the 800 and 850 you have an individual manual filter knob for all 4 channels. Also, for the DJM-700 you can only manually control the filter, for the 800 and 850 you can manually control 4 different effects.

DJM-700 doesn't have digital output, and I'm honestly not sure if the 800 and 850 do. Other than that... same thing in my opinion.

EDIT: DJM-700 does have digital output. My bad!
Flor Dispain
Alphonso Deitchman
Link also gives you quantized FX with the DJM900/2000 and lets you link the players directly to Rekordbox on a computer.
Gaynell Rydberg
Link lets you connect two CDJs so you'll only have to use one USB stick.
Emelina Paglia
Are you planning on using USBs or softwares? Go with 1000 if you'll use them as a controller, but they don't support USB. Best choice is 900s or 2000s, but will be more expensive. Alternative cheaper choice, the 850s, still better than the 1000s in my opinion, but might be a bit more expensive.
Ilana Andretta
Originally Posted by makar1
The 850 is not the same as the 900 and 2000 for Traktor. It will only work as a basic MIDI controller in Traktor rather than HID.
Fixed it. You are right. Traktor doesn't support Advanced HID mode yet. I googled it and they were suppose to fix it with TSP 2.6 but they didn't yet. However now the cdj850 and Traktor work together with full functionality of the cdj by using the sound card that is on board. You just have to aggregate your cdjs in one sound "device" same as the 2000 and the 900. Serato in the other hand already supports Advanced HID Mode with cdj850
Alphonso Deitchman
Ilana Andretta
Originally Posted by DjGil
The 850 is rekorbox capable if that's what your lookin for, but straight to computer through midi? Sorry but that's only for the 900s and 2000s mate.
No, you are wrong. Cdj850 can definately be used as a controller to use Traktor. Same as cdj2000 and 900 via HID Mode
Ilana Andretta
Can someone tell me what the LINK function specifically does. I'm interested now in the 850s, and a djm. Should ask as well what used djm to go for as well. Thanks guys for the information, I've googled and seen some but just wieghing out my options.
The Pro DJ Link function is a feature cdj2000 and 900 only have. It allows up to 4 players to communicate together via ethernet cable. In simple words you can put a USB stick in one cdj and the rest cdjs will read from same USB. Other than that and the smaller screen cdj850 can offer same things. It also supports HID mode so if you are also a Traktor/Serato user you will not need timecode cds or external soundcard to use it as a controller.
Flor Dispain
Between cdj1000mk3 and cdj900 I would go for the 900 cause it is new and has all the basic features the 2000 has. Also as someone wrote above the 850 is a good choice. The only basic difference with the 900 is that it doesn't have the Pro DJ Link function.
Ilana Andretta
Between cdj1000mk3 and cdj900 I would go for the 900 cause it is new and has all the basic features the 2000 has. Also as someone wrote above the 850 is a good choice. The only basic difference with the 900 is that it doesn't have the Pro DJ Link function.
Gaynell Rydberg
The Stanton CMP800s actually look decent. They have link capability. Doesn't look as nice as the Gemini's, but apparently those lag?

Emelina Chillson
Id go with 800's, 1000's, or 850's for home use bruv. Unless you plan on renting the gear out, buying a pair of 900's or 2000's is ridiculous.
Alphonso Deitchman
The 900s (over the 850s) have LINK, quantized loops, more auto loop options, slip mode, digital output, bigger screen, and Traktor HID support.
Lana Akey
Originally Posted by NokTonik
Save your money and buy new cdj's if you're able. I'd buy the pioneer cdj 850's tho. They do everything the 900's do, and they have a USB port in the back so you can use em as controller's off teh laptop, and or desktop.
Not true I believe you have it confused the 900s have two screens opposed to one, have slip mode for loops and scratching an is capable with HID. The 850 is rekorbox capable if that's what your lookin for, but straight to computer through midi? Sorry but that's only for the 900s and 2000s mate.
Allyn Vandel
Save your money and buy new cdj's if you're able. I'd buy the pioneer cdj 850's tho. They do everything the 900's do, and they have a USB port in the back so you can use em as controller's off teh laptop, and or desktop.
Augustine Mitzen
if you're gonna use the timecode, you can go for the 1000s
Isa Erik
save for another cdj900 or 2x denon sc2900 (they now have hybrid midi for serato)

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy