How to unwarp a record ? I can't beatmatch with it.

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: How to unwarp a record ? I can't beatmatch with it.Reply
How to unwarp a record ? I can't beatmatch with it.
Posted on: 26.09.2013 by Nereida Jasnoch
Hi

I ordered some records from chemical records and one of them was warped like bowl pretty bad.
It still plays fine but because it's a bowl shape one side does not have enough surface area on the slipmat to generate friction when I release it.

So when I let go on the "one" it takes a while for the record to match the platter's speed.

How do I go about unwarping it ?
Narcisa Hughie
Originally Posted by Kaek
I use two really big pieces of glass and make a sandwich.
Yup. Nice and thick does the trick

Pre-heat an oven to it's lowest setting ~60deg C

TURN IT OFF!!!

Place the glass/vinyl sandwich in the oven and leave to cool for a couple of hours
Federico Vilas
Originally Posted by MyUsername
It's a brand new repress of a tune I really like

I believe it's pretty risky trying to melt your vinyl, should prolonged exposure to weight on top of the record pressed on a hard surface do the trick ?

And I tried beatmatching with adding a push but the phase is still so off I just might as well press play on a random moment.
If it is brand new then RETURN it for a new copy.
Nereida Jasnoch
Originally Posted by DjLiquitATL
I just throw them away...lol

I believe it's pretty risky trying to melt your vinyl, should prolonged exposure to weight on top of the record pressed on a hard surface do the trick ?

And I tried beatmatching with adding a push but the phase is still so off I just might as well press play on a random moment.
Nereida Jasnoch
Hi

I ordered some records from chemical records and one of them was warped like bowl pretty bad.
It still plays fine but because it's a bowl shape one side does not have enough surface area on the slipmat to generate friction when I release it.

So when I let go on the "one" it takes a while for the record to match the platter's speed.

How do I go about unwarping it ?
Narcisa Hughie
Originally Posted by Kaek
Yup. Nice and thick does the trick

Pre-heat an oven to it's lowest setting ~60deg C

TURN IT OFF!!!

Place the glass/vinyl sandwich in the oven and leave to cool for a couple of hours
Monroe Vandeslunt
Nereida Jasnoch
Chemical has a replacement underway

great customer service
Celestine Porebski
Yeah, return it, if they still have some in stock to send you a new one (have done that a few times without problems). Apart from that, I've read good things about record clamps (additional weights you put directly on the spindle/record, also supposed to increase sound quality), but I don't have any first hand experience.
Jenna Skeem
if it's really bad just email them, i know when i bought some records off juno which all came badly warped/bowled one simple email and they sent me new copies
Federico Vilas
Originally Posted by MyUsername

If it is brand new then RETURN it for a new copy.
Tania Somppi
I've heard loads of ghetto methods but most of them cause more harm than good tbqh.

Try leaving it for few days pressed between a few other tunes on your shelf to see if that straightens it out, before you go applying any heat or heavy weight on it. I've had some success leaving slightly warped vinyl in a glass picture frame for a week, myself.

If that doesn't work and you're gonna heat it up or weigh it down, be really careful not to overdo it with the heat or the weight and let it cool down completely before you remove the weight. The expensive vinyl flattening/unwarping machines only go up to about 65 degrees c (150 F) and don't apply much pressure on the vinyl, so they don't press out the ridge either side of the groove or damage the tiny bumps in the groove.
Vito Chesnut
I have heard before of using a hair dryer and put between books. That was old school though, before folks cared terribly about fidelity.
Nereida Jasnoch
Originally Posted by DjLiquitATL

Federico Vilas
Brunilda Kora
There are ways of doing it - but you're better off just giving the record a little "push" when yu release it.

TBH - you should be doing this anyway to a certain degree with all records.

Anyway:

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy