Audio Technica AT-LP120 w/ Shure M44-7 Cartridge Alignment Question

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: Audio Technica AT-LP120 w/ Shure M44-7 Cartridge Alignment QuestionReply
Audio Technica AT-LP120 w/ Shure M44-7 Cartridge Alignment Question
Posted on: 13.11.2013 by Elroy Sillman
Hey there DJTT,

Back again with my very own first turntable. Just bought me an Audio Technica AT-LP120 w/ Shure M44-7 Cartridge at a great deal of $150. I wanted to start getting into really defining my scratching by actually using a turntable, instead of my VCI-380 Jogs all of the time.

I've got it all setup and ready to go with the exception of one thing, I cannot seem to get my cartridge aligned properly to the turntable. I've searched google for two days to try and find my solution but I am only finding protractor for the Technics sl-1200 mk2. I have found great sources for print-out protractors but i want to make sure i am using the right one.

My question to you guys is how should i align my cartridge to my turntable? should i use the 1200 mk2 protractor? or should i be using a micrometer?
Elroy Sillman
Hey there DJTT,

Back again with my very own first turntable. Just bought me an Audio Technica AT-LP120 w/ Shure M44-7 Cartridge at a great deal of $150. I wanted to start getting into really defining my scratching by actually using a turntable, instead of my VCI-380 Jogs all of the time.

I've got it all setup and ready to go with the exception of one thing, I cannot seem to get my cartridge aligned properly to the turntable. I've searched google for two days to try and find my solution but I am only finding protractor for the Technics sl-1200 mk2. I have found great sources for print-out protractors but i want to make sure i am using the right one.

My question to you guys is how should i align my cartridge to my turntable? should i use the 1200 mk2 protractor? or should i be using a micrometer?
Elroy Sillman
Thanks Patch! I was believeing i was over believeing the whole thing, but better be safe then sorry. My biggest worry is that if i did not align anything then i would be just tearing up my good records. I have already got my overhang set right and my cartridge set at 23 degrees. I've just been experimenting with my set up by doing some baby scratches & chirps. The neddle skips only when im doing really tight scribbles. I am just trying to minimize this as much as possible.

Thanks again!
Brunilda Kora
You definitely don't need a micrometer!

Just do it by eye. Just align the needle with the end of the cartridge. Don't over believe it. Once it's installed you can fine-adjust it if you like.

Seriously - no matter how well you get it set-up, in the beginning, it's gonna skip like hell. You're better off just mounting it as best you can, and working on your technique. Once you've made some progress, THEN (maybe) play with the set-up.

Have fun!

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy