Help with Turntables and CDJs?

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: Help with Turntables and CDJs?Reply
Help with Turntables and CDJs?
Posted on: 08.11.2013 by Gracia Vandivner
Hello Everyone:

I was umm looking for my new DJ setup and I was believeing about either CDJs or a pair of turntables. In the way of CDJs I was believeing I could get pioneer's CDJ 350s or Stanton's C.324. I was also maybe considering getting two used CDJ 800s or 850s. In the way of turntables, I was believeing two Technic 1200s and no idea of a mixer. The problem with the turntable method, is that I have no idea where I would get the technics.

If you have any recommendations, or what you would get, please help.

Thanks for reading.

MORE INFO:

I have a budget of around 1500 dollars (not much) and my preferred software is Traktor but if I had CDJs I wouldn't have to connect it to my computer. I wouldn't need to do that with turntables either, but I prefer not tearing up vinyl. I love small effects in the way of CDJs, nothing fancy but helps. I am not a very big scratcher, so if something doesn't do that very well it's not a problem for me. I also like the classic feel of the turntables, but I believe there are probably some CDJs that can accomplish that aswell. Hope this helps.
Lawana Mileto
Originally Posted by djjohnr
This is my point, CDJs are the new standard. I was a long time 1200 holdout, but even when the club does have 1200s, they're often beat and in need of service. Have you ever had laptop issues in a club? It effing sucks. It just makes more sense in this day and age to know CDJs first and 1200s or something else second.
I only play out on vinyl these days, yeah had my fair share of issues with feedback on turntables, clubs seemingly not knowing that having subs near the decks will cause any issues. I used to use timecode vinyl with traktor but was too unreliable.

Thankfully most the clubs I play at still seem to care about us vinyl heads. So personally I'd rather play vinyl.

I've never owned CDJ's, don't want too either, I play the occasional promo track on CD but thats it, I still know how to use CDJ's and have played the odd set on CDJs.

It does make sense to learn CDJ's but I'd rather have turntables at home, CDJ's arent that complicated to learn.
Yuonne Losure
Originally Posted by amadeus

Now as not to be biased, there's also good reasoning for going with CDJ's, they are installed in every club, turntables are not, if they are they're not always the best, can be fun trying to set them up.
So to have CDJs at home will benfit you if you are planning on playing out.

personally I'd go for the turntables
This is my point, CDJs are the new standard. I was a long time 1200 holdout, but even when the club does have 1200s, they're often beat and in need of service. Have you ever had laptop issues in a club? It effing sucks. It just makes more sense in this day and age to know CDJs first and 1200s or something else second.
Lawana Mileto
- If you play out, and play anything other then hip-hop, you'll more then likely be using CDJs.
Not true in the slightest, House Techno Disco etc still a lot of vinyl guys

Personally I would go for a pair of Technics and Xone:22, and traktor scratch.

Why? Well learning on turntables will set you up properly, and transfers easlily to everything all other formats.
Plus turntables are a lot more fun, nothing better in my opinion, CDJ's don't come close, neither do controllers.

Now as not to be biased, there's also good reasoning for going with CDJ's, they are installed in every club, turntables are not, if they are they're not always the best, can be fun trying to set them up.

Libbie Orion
Originally Posted by makar1
The Denon SC3900s are CDJs with spinning vinyl platters, but are outside your price range. A pair of Technics should be within budget, as are the CDJ 850s if you settle for a simpler mixer.

DJTT recently posted on article on where you can buy/sell used gear:
http://www.djranking s.com/2013/11/0...e-donate-sell/
actually to the Original poster
i do have old gear i am willing to part with

a couple 4 channel mixers
a DENON DN4500
and a STANTON dual cd player as well

im sure i can work out a nice deal including shipping well within your budget
Libbie Orion
Originally Posted by AllDay
His budget is 1500, you have a choice between cdjs and turntables.

Both of which you could maybe find turntables or cdjs. But you dont have enough for a mixer OP.
im not too sure about that mate
because this is one KILLER CD PLAYER MIXER combo HAHAHAHAHAHHA

Tera Baragan
More information would be helpful. Budget, features, software, etc.

Both of which you could maybe find turntables or cdjs. But you dont have enough for a mixer OP.
Gracia Vandivner
Hello Everyone:

I was umm looking for my new DJ setup and I was believeing about either CDJs or a pair of turntables. In the way of CDJs I was believeing I could get pioneer's CDJ 350s or Stanton's C.324. I was also maybe considering getting two used CDJ 800s or 850s. In the way of turntables, I was believeing two Technic 1200s and no idea of a mixer. The problem with the turntable method, is that I have no idea where I would get the technics.

If you have any recommendations, or what you would get, please help.

Thanks for reading.

MORE INFO:

I have a budget of around 1500 dollars (not much) and my preferred software is Traktor but if I had CDJs I wouldn't have to connect it to my computer. I wouldn't need to do that with turntables either, but I prefer not tearing up vinyl. I love small effects in the way of CDJs, nothing fancy but helps. I am not a very big scratcher, so if something doesn't do that very well it's not a problem for me. I also like the classic feel of the turntables, but I believe there are probably some CDJs that can accomplish that aswell. Hope this helps.
Lawana Mileto
I only play out on vinyl these days, yeah had my fair share of issues with feedback on turntables, clubs seemingly not knowing that having subs near the decks will cause any issues. I used to use timecode vinyl with traktor but was too unreliable.

Thankfully most the clubs I play at still seem to care about us vinyl heads. So personally I'd rather play vinyl.

I've never owned CDJ's, don't want too either, I play the occasional promo track on CD but thats it, I still know how to use CDJ's and have played the odd set on CDJs.

It does make sense to learn CDJ's but I'd rather have turntables at home, CDJ's arent that complicated to learn.
Yuonne Losure
Originally Posted by amadeus

Lawana Mileto
- If you play out, and play anything other then hip-hop, you'll more then likely be using CDJs.
Not true in the slightest, House Techno Disco etc still a lot of vinyl guys

Personally I would go for a pair of Technics and Xone:22, and traktor scratch.

Why? Well learning on turntables will set you up properly, and transfers easlily to everything all other formats.
Plus turntables are a lot more fun, nothing better in my opinion, CDJ's don't come close, neither do controllers.

Yuonne Losure
I started on 1200s (still have them), and have owned DVS systems (Serato, Traktor), controllers and now CDJs. Some thoughts -

- If you play out, and play anything other then hip-hop, you'll more then likely be using CDJs. It's worth having access to some so you get used to them. Something with a platter the same size as 1000s/2000s is preferable so the nudge actions become second nature muscle memory.
- CDJs that have USB ports are wonderful. You can have a huge library of music in a little thumb drive. Very handy, and definitely preferable to screwing with a laptop and D/A box at a gig, and much lighter then a box of vinyl.
- All the new CDJs can be used as controllers for software. I use 850s to control MixVibes currently, as MixVibes has full HID implementation for them. I only use this setup at home, I don't take the laptop out of the house anymore. It's nice to have sync when I'm making studio mixes.
- The tactile experience of vinyl IS nicer. There's something very zen about just having just a needle and pitch control, however it's not worth the hassle of playing out due to the laptop/software/D/A Box you have to fiddle with in the club.
- Burning CDs sucks.
- You can buy 850s used for $900-1000 USD. That leaves you with $500-600 for a mixer.
- CDJ 800s may be tempting, but the pitch resolution is only +/- .05%
Osvaldo Newhall
I would definitely choose Technics SL1200 over any CDJ anytime. Nothing beats the feel of vinyl. Also, if you learn from turtables, switching over to CDJs (or controllers) and using them is just like a walk in the park. Always better to learn from the roots and basic with no auto-sync.

You can grab a used pair of 1200 for about $500-700, depending on the condition.

Now with mixer choices:

Pioneer DJM-250 - $250-300
DJ-Tech DIF-1s - $200

You still have about $500-600 left for the software/hardware, a set of decent headphones and a pair of Shure 447 carts/needles.
Gracia Vandivner
I am still looking, but thanks for the offer!
Libbie Orion
The Denon SC3900s are CDJs with spinning vinyl platters, but are outside your price range. A pair of Technics should be within budget, as are the CDJ 850s if you settle for a simpler mixer.

actually to the Original poster
i do have old gear i am willing to part with

a couple 4 channel mixers
a DENON DN4500
and a STANTON dual cd player as well

im sure i can work out a nice deal including shipping well within your budget
Libbie Orion
Originally Posted by AllDay

im not too sure about that mate
because this is one KILLER CD PLAYER MIXER combo HAHAHAHAHAHHA

Brunilda Kora
Buy some White 1210's and a DDM4K.
Cira Swanda
Used 850s can be reasonably priced now and with Rekordbox you can prep your tunes before hand into nice, organized playlists with ease. I had a small setup of 850s and a Xone 22 and its was great for practicing at home. I rarely use effects other than filters. Down the road if you start getting some paid gigs, you can upgrade to a different mixer, but I have nothing but great things to say about the 850s and a simple mixer like the Xone 22 (or even the DJM 250 works well too).
Alphonso Deitchman

Tera Baragan

Alphonso Deitchman

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy