Mp3 Gain db settings

Home :: General Discussion :: Mp3 Gain db settingsReply
Mp3 Gain db settings
Posted on: 14.08.2011 by Deeann Cheron
I am setting mine to 96db and have autogain and limiter disabled in traktor but am finding that a lot of tracks are still in the red and a vast difference between a lot of tracks sound levels.

I have tried with auto gain enabled but still not satisfied with the results and am using my gain knobs more so than not to get my levels correct.

So my Question is.
Who uses mp3 gain, what db level is your gain set to (incl traktor settings) and are you happy with the results?
Deeann Cheron
Originally Posted by Duttylectric
when i started using platinum notes for this i basicly never had to use the gain knobs again.
This may be an option. as I run all my tracks through both mp3 gain & mixed in key. 90% of my tracks are adjusted in some way on mp3 gain. but i have noticed that Mixed in key will only give me an option to improve say 40% of tracks & I believe platinum notes is the programme it suggests?

This is a big difference, however I dont know if its of much relevence.

for now i am going to reanalyse all my tracks in mp3gain @ 94db instead of my current 96db. As last evening whilst playing around I noticed that i manually have to nudge my most my tracks down -2.0db.
Deeann Cheron
Originally Posted by Jester.NZ
You need to analyze the tracks fiirst and use "Track Gain" not "Album Gain" (I assume you know this just in case tho)).
check all of the above

I believe Ean recommends 96db,).
Thats why i have mine set @ 96db following his article.

i use 94db. I then manually adjust the autogain settings (only use it for recording tho).
can you please elaborate any more on this last part? ( Is there a setting in traktors auto gain that can be adjusted, or are you meaning adjust with gain knobs?)

I analyse all my tracks
Deeann Cheron
I am setting mine to 96db and have autogain and limiter disabled in traktor but am finding that a lot of tracks are still in the red and a vast difference between a lot of tracks sound levels.

I have tried with auto gain enabled but still not satisfied with the results and am using my gain knobs more so than not to get my levels correct.

So my Question is.
Who uses mp3 gain, what db level is your gain set to (incl traktor settings) and are you happy with the results?
Stanford Minniefield
Hello,
I am new to DJ tech tools community , and actually quite new to the whole digital world, as a DJ. I grew up on vinyl for about 12 years before even attempting to start with serato, mp3s, and all that business.

So i have a large collection of classic soul, funk, rnb, jazz, blues mp3s, and of course back then, all the recording gear was quite different. Many of these mp3s have quite low volume. Most of my friends that have use mp3gain use it on modern electronic music which was produced or recorded quite differently. I read somewhere that a lot of these softwares analyze the drums and find the peak of this as to match well for mixing.
However, most soul music is not focused on drums and more on vocals and have different peak levels, etc.

What are the best settings for mp3 gain, considering most of my tracks are between 88-92, and some tracks even "clip" at these levels... I have several tracks that sound just fine and do not clip at 95+... its a folder of about 1000+ mp3s im trying to work on... When mixing live, i do it all manually, which is fine, but more and more people are asking me to put together compilations of this music, so i would like them all to sound about right...

Thanks for all the help and feedback, sorry for the noobiness.
Deeann Cheron
^ thats how I roll for now. seems to be the best results. not perfect but..
Cliff Lohman
thnx - just noticed the reply.. so just to confirm - i should run mp3gain w/ X db level and then turn OFF the 'use auto gain' feature in traktor prefs?

Thnx again
Deeann Cheron
mp3 gain will save the gain for you in your tags.

So no matter what media you are playing it through will have the gain applied.

You will still need to adjust in some cases when mixing.

I tend to just wing it, once you start to know your tunes inside out you get a feel for which ones need a nudge.

I havent goten to the point where I am saving the gain as per Jesters post on the 1st page.
Cliff Lohman
Thnx guys
@Zaniac - After you analyze in mp3gain - do you just then edit tracks in traktor one-by-one to plugin mp3gains db+/- value? Seems tedious to do it one by one.. was hoping there was a more automated way..

Thnx
Deeann Cheron
I still trying to find a happy medium.

but my standard procedure as of late is to Run tracks through Mp3 gain & leave auto gain off and try to work on my levels with a manual adjustment if needed. As I was having the same problems as you stated.

- make sure you ananlyse the tracks before applying a your gain. And also on that note Make sure you analyse tracks & not analyse album (if you do the latter it will assume the whole album is the same and apply relevant gain to all your tracks)

I chaned mine to 94db from 96db and have found I have had slightly better results.

you want lose any of your cue points or grids using Mp3Gain. And the you can undo the gain if you want.
Darren Teboe
I don't use any of that. I set my master gain to -6db, and manually adjust accordingly.
Cliff Lohman
hey guys,

i too recently noticed that traktors autogain is way off (hard to prove that something recently changed but it seems like its gotten progressively worse over the updates).

Basically, some tracks it gives WAY too much gain and some soft sounding tracks it actually puts gain into the negative. So its really uneven alot of the time.

I want to try something new like mp3gain to see if that improves things -
but im not sure how to do this..
i ran my tracks thru mp3gain to do 'track gain' and it worked.

But how do i integrate this into traktor? traktor seems to keep on wanting to use its autogain. how are you guys using mp3gain (or even platinum notes)? Do you have to manually edit every single track to type in the gain that mp3gain states a track should have?

Please help.. im super frustrated with how problematic autogain seems to have gotten.. ill try anything!

i am hoping that i can keep my cuepoints and beatgrids but id consider re-do'ing those if i knew my gains would be fixed..

Thnx!
kev
Deeann Cheron
Originally Posted by Duttylectric
when i started using platinum notes for this i basicly never had to use the gain knobs again.
This may be an option. as I run all my tracks through both mp3 gain & mixed in key. 90% of my tracks are adjusted in some way on mp3 gain. but i have noticed that Mixed in key will only give me an option to improve say 40% of tracks & I believe platinum notes is the programme it suggests?

This is a big difference, however I dont know if its of much relevence.

for now i am going to reanalyse all my tracks in mp3gain @ 94db instead of my current 96db. As last evening whilst playing around I noticed that i manually have to nudge my most my tracks down -2.0db.
Charline Dunch
i wasn't happy with mp3gain and/or autogain. when i started using platinum notes for this i basicly never had to use the gain knobs again. like a handfull of tunes in my crate don't sound quite like the rest which can be fixed quickly with the eqs.

I'd love a feature in traktor like an eq-preset thats saved on each track that sets them while loading a new track.
Deeann Cheron
more than I expected. thanks again (pun intended )
Latoria Kavulich
Whatever works for you mate, this is just my way of doing it.
Latoria Kavulich
Deeann Cheron
Thanks for the reply

I may try and re-analyse my tracks at a lower db and play around from there so my adjustments arn't so vast

Im with you on traktors autogain. last time I threw a baby wasn't the best of outcomes :eek:
Latoria Kavulich
I trust traktor's autogain about as far as i can throw a baby lol. When i'm putting a mix together i will tweak the settings before i do the recording run. When we play live i dont use the autogain feature, i'm on the mixer so just ride the trims where needed.
You can set your own autogain adjustment in the track edit window.
Deeann Cheron
You need to analyze the tracks fiirst and use "Track Gain" not "Album Gain" (I assume you know this just in case tho)).
check all of the above

I believe Ean recommends 96db,).
Thats why i have mine set @ 96db following his article.

i use 94db. I then manually adjust the autogain settings (only use it for recording tho).
can you please elaborate any more on this last part? ( Is there a setting in traktors auto gain that can be adjusted, or are you meaning adjust with gain knobs?)

I analyse all my tracks
Latoria Kavulich
You need to analyze the tracks fiirst and use "Track Gain" not "Album Gain" (I assume you know this just in case tho)
I believe Ean recommends 96db, i use 94db. I then manually adjust the autogain settings (only use it for recording tho).

<< Back to General DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy