intro to digital djing

Home :: General Discussion :: intro to digital djingReply
intro to digital djing
Posted on: 03.12.2013 by Cleotilde Eychaner
Hey DJTT,
so I have djing for a while now and my current set up consists of two turntables, a mixer and a bag of vinyls.
This is my problem, I am now looking into djing for parties to earn some money and in order for me to do that i would need to start playing more modern music. what gear should I be looking at purchasing? My budget is $1000 or under and I dont mind buying DJ gear second hand.

Thanks a lot
Ba5 Booster
Lakeesha Storman
Originally Posted by Sambo
Cheapest good quality entry into the DVS market would probably be a Traktor A6, set you back
Jetta Drenzek
Cheapest good quality entry into the DVS market would probably be a Traktor A6, set you back
Petra Arra
a mixer and the audio card are possible, but you will need to have some transport controls if you do not want to use your laptop keyboard.

a mixer and audio 2 is enough.
TA-MK2_Setup_mixer.jpg

but if you want scratch functionality, get the a6 or a10.
Lakeesha Storman
Jetta Drenzek
Petra Arra
Originally Posted by ba5booster
is there any sound quality difference between the audio 10 and the audio 6 from native instruments ??
Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50
There's no difference in sound quality. Just channels.
My TA6 sounds fine, although I havent used the TA10 for comparison. but if i would buy again, i'd get the audio 10 for more channels.
Petra Arra
alright so what would be the major differences in the sound quality between the Native Instruments Traktor Audio 10 and Native Instruments Traktor Audio 6??
If you would use only 3 tables or less TA6 is fine.
if you want to use more then get the TA10

but just in case you don't know if you will add in the future, get the A10, for future expansion's sake
Gaynell Rydberg
Originally Posted by pleb
That's not true. You'd need a scratch certified sound card.
You knew what I meant...

Evalyn Voges
It's worth getting an X1 mk2 if you don't already have one. If you have a mk1, it's not worth an upgrade.
Petra Arra
you can get the mk1 for cheaps as many would be selling them to upgrade.

the mk2 on the other hand, has touch strips that replaces the other encoders that you can use to search you track, or map it to control the effects, etc.

go to a store to feel what you want.
Cleotilde Eychaner
if i was looking at an X1 would it be better to buy the new mk2's or the old mk1's ??
Cleotilde Eychaner
oh im not planning to use serato i like the look, workflow and feel of traktor
Petra Arra
a mixer and the audio card are possible, but you will need to have some transport controls if you do not want to use your laptop keyboard.

a mixer and audio 2 is enough.
TA-MK2_Setup_mixer.jpg

but if you want scratch functionality, get the a6 or a10.
Lakeesha Storman
Without an actual controller for your software, you would have to go straight keyboard/mouse to control the software sans tables. Unless your current mixer happens to have a USB interface for the software. A lot of people go NI X1 or similar to control the non-DVS decks in their DVS setups. There are also other options to do this, but I believe the X1 is one of the cheaper, least fussy options for Traktor. I don't know what could/would work for Serato in that case.
Cleotilde Eychaner
if later on i wanted to ditch the turntables for parties and just use traktor and my mixer would that be possible?? (to roue the outgoing sound straight through the audio to my mixer ??)
Lakeesha Storman
Jetta Drenzek
Petra Arra
is there any sound quality difference between the audio 10 and the audio 6 from native instruments ??
My TA6 sounds fine, although I havent used the TA10 for comparison. but if i would buy again, i'd get the audio 10 for more channels.
Petra Arra
alright so what would be the major differences in the sound quality between the Native Instruments Traktor Audio 10 and Native Instruments Traktor Audio 6??
If you would use only 3 tables or less TA6 is fine.
if you want to use more then get the TA10

but just in case you don't know if you will add in the future, get the A10, for future expansion's sake
Gaynell Rydberg
Originally Posted by pleb
You knew what I meant...

Cleotilde Eychaner
Augustine Mitzen
roughly how much would the whole set ( timecode vinyl, soundcard, software) set me back ??
depends on what you're getting
try looking on some online dj shops to get the idea
Cori Ozanich
You go with a modular system that allows you to use an external mixer -> DVS. You need a scratch certified mixer though.
Cleotilde Eychaner
roughly how much would the whole set ( timecode vinyl, soundcard, software) set me back ??
Augustine Mitzen
you have a special record with timecode signal on it.
the signal goes to computer via a soundcard and controls the playback of audio files.
the audio then goes out of the soundcard into the mixer
Gaynell Rydberg
All in one controllers replace the mixer. That said, you can still use an external mixer but it'll take up a ton of space.

You go with a modular system that allows you to use an external mixer -> DVS. You need a scratch certified mixer though.
Cleotilde Eychaner
I have just recently looked into a controller based setup and i am not liking the fact that i cant use a my physical mixer (that's more a personal choice), how does DVS allow me to use my current turntables and mixer to mix ???
Rolanda Clodfelder
You'll first need a laptop (capable of meeting the minimum specs for the software you choose).

You'll also need a DVS system as johney mentioned if you want to continue using your turntables with your laptop

or

You'll need a controller which would replace your Turntable/mixer altogether

A Digital Vinyl System would be the easiest to get used to as you are basically using exactly the same setup as you already know and just selecting the music on the computer and you'll still be able to spin your regular vinyl as well.

If you go with the likes of Serato you could get something like the Behringer CMD-DV-1 so you don't need to go near the computer half as much.

If you go the Controller route will mean everything gets routed though the computer all your functions / effects etc will be set up through the software but would makes things more portable however sacrifice the "realism" of touching your turntables and mixer.

If you like the sound of DVS check out both Serato and Traktor - they are really the "industry standard".

If you like the sound of a controller - there are literally hundreds to choose from, however I'd first consider which of the above routes you want to take.
Evalyn Voges
Originally Posted by johney
Dvs?
Seconded. Use the gear you have, just add something like Traktor Scratch Pro 2 or Serato DJ. Easily under $1000. Throw in a controller for effects (like Traktor X1) and you're gravy.
Augustine Mitzen
Dvs?

<< Back to General DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy