Started pulling in gigs quickly. Have a few questions to keep my setup stable.

Home :: General Discussion :: Started pulling in gigs quickly. Have a few questions to keep my setup stable.Reply
Started pulling in gigs quickly. Have a few questions to keep my setup stable.
Posted on: 25.11.2013 by Tobie Mittler
Hey guys,

I started DJing a few months ago and things have started to pick up for me pretty quickly, played my first gig last week and it went amazing. I'm booked to play another show next week, and I want to make sure that my gear performs well.

I use an S4 and Traktor (on a Windows 8 laptop) and did have a few problems with occasional CPU load spiking and small audio dropouts. My laptop is only really used for production and DJing.

Laptop Specs: i5, 8GB, hard drive is clean.

Here's what I've done/noticed:

In Windows:
-Disabled Wifi
-Disabled Background Applications
-Run Power Settings in High Performance
-Disabled Sleep Modes

In Traktor:
-Disabled Multicore support in Traktor
-Haven't really messed with latency settings.

I'm playing music directly off my laptops hard drive. Is there a performance gain with running an external hard drive? I need to pick up an external hard drive in the future, but would it be better to run my playlist off of a flash drive for the time being? Does Traktor even recognize a flash drive?

I'm running my effects in Chain Mode. So 6 effects ready to go. Could this cause drop outs?

Also, just a tip for anyone running Traktor and going on your first gig. When I went to start my set, my gear was working, but no audio was coming out of the master. I was scheduled to play in the middle of the evening , but because my gear wasn't working someone else had to go on. It sucked

After spending 45 minutes messing with routing, restarting my computer, all this BS, I quickly googled and found that the problem ended up being the Master Gain Knob in Traktor (software) was turned all the way down. The Master Knob on my S4 did not control the knob in the software. Once I leveled it out, everything was fine. After that, I ended up closing out the evening , and everything went great. If you use an S4 and ever see a blinking Triangle above the SNAP button, it's an indicator of your master knob being either too high or too low, or your laptop not being plugged in.
Tera Baragan
Originally Posted by brian_johnstone
haven't used a windows laptop for a while but when i did i disabled the acpi compliant control (i believe thats it) and ran the djtt optimising script, this sorted EVERYTHING and never had issues again, i was running 2 midi controllers, timecode, & fx on an i3.
Gamebooster and smittens script will help out the OP.

Windows has so many useless things running in the background for no reason and traktor just gets worked by it.
Tobie Mittler
Originally Posted by The Pancaker
I usually turn on and off all effect units, as well as loading the effects and cranking them up and down before starting a set. I've noticed that loading effects and turning FX units on sometimes causes sudden spikes in CPU activity. Try doing that just in case...
Generally, I only use about 3 FX, but I do turn them on and off across my channels very often.

I'll try that out as well though. Thanks man.
Lakeesha Storman
Originally Posted by RajMahal
This might be a silly question, but why did you disable multicore support in Traktor? I would have thought you'd want this.
It's actually recommended to turn this off if you're experiencing snaps, crackles and pops. Seems counterintuitive, but...when in Rome...
Layne Koop
Originally Posted by ImNotDedYet
I'd look into your latency if all other things are fine.

The CPU spikes could be because your latency is too low. Increase the buffer a bit and see if that smooths out the CPU spikes and fixes the dropouts.
+1

I suspect that the latency and number of buffers is cranked way down. Increase both by one notch. Then load up four decks. On three decks crank the effects to the moon, then turn them down (the CPU activity is still happening). On one deck, leave it clean. Listen to the clean track while the others grind away on an endless playlist. It is actually important to load new songs from time to time in the test.

If you don't hear any drops in an hour (or four)...you are good.
If you do hear something drop, increase the latency by another notch and keep listening.

You can do this in the "background" provided you pay just enough attention to hear the drop.
Tobie Mittler
Originally Posted by Landsnark
Well, this is only anecdotal evidence of course, but I will say that I've run Traktor for about 8 years now, across several different iterations (Traktor 3.x, Traktor Pro, Traktor Pro 2, and most recently Traktor Scratch Pro 2); across several different platforms (Dell D610 running Windows XP, several MacBooks), using several different interfaces (MOTU Traveler, Xone:2D, Kontrol S4, Audio 8, DN-X1600 mixer) and have always run directly from the internal hard drive. It's never given me so much as a hiccup.
Anecdotal evidence is good enough for me! I just started DJing within the past 6 months, so I'm having to learn a lot of this stuff as I go. The pressure of already getting gigs is forcing me to start believeing about this stuff a lot more seriously.

Traktor is going to run in memory once it's started up, and (as far as I know) only writes to the hard drive when making changes to your collection (i.e. tagging, etc.). So there shouldn't be any real bottleneck there unless I'm missing something.
Makes sense to me. I take a lot of time and prep my tracks and playlists before. So generally there isn't any editing happening on site.

It seems weird to me that your machine is having dropouts, considering I've had flawless performance on machines specced way lower than that. Have you noticed audio dropouts in other applications (just playing music to listen to outside of Traktor, for example)?
Yeah, it's strange to me as well. I've been a PC person my whole life, and a lot of people are feeding me the vapid "should have bought a Mac" line. I produce with Ableton, and the only other time I've experienced CPU load problems or audio dropouts is when I'm working on a really complicated and heavy project, but other than that the computer has always ran flawlessly.

Could my latency settings in Traktor be a factor, or possibly heat?
Tobie Mittler
Your specs are well beyond the point that you should be having audio dropouts of any kind. I'd guess that something is directly interfering with your audio performance (i.e. virus protection or some rogue program/service).
It's possible Windows Defender was running in the background. Although, I am running Classic Shell if that makes a difference.

Just out of curiosity, have you run the latest updates/patches for both Windows and Traktor?
Yup, Traktor and Windows are both updated.

Yes, Traktor will recognize it... but no, typically your internal drive will be the fastest access to your music.
Even if it's the same drive that is running Traktor? I've heard a lot of conflicting reports. Some people say definitely run an external, some say not too.
Tobie Mittler
Hey guys,

I started DJing a few months ago and things have started to pick up for me pretty quickly, played my first gig last week and it went amazing. I'm booked to play another show next week, and I want to make sure that my gear performs well.

I use an S4 and Traktor (on a Windows 8 laptop) and did have a few problems with occasional CPU load spiking and small audio dropouts. My laptop is only really used for production and DJing.

Laptop Specs: i5, 8GB, hard drive is clean.

Here's what I've done/noticed:

In Windows:
-Disabled Wifi
-Disabled Background Applications
-Run Power Settings in High Performance
-Disabled Sleep Modes

In Traktor:
-Disabled Multicore support in Traktor
-Haven't really messed with latency settings.

I'm playing music directly off my laptops hard drive. Is there a performance gain with running an external hard drive? I need to pick up an external hard drive in the future, but would it be better to run my playlist off of a flash drive for the time being? Does Traktor even recognize a flash drive?

I'm running my effects in Chain Mode. So 6 effects ready to go. Could this cause drop outs?

Also, just a tip for anyone running Traktor and going on your first gig. When I went to start my set, my gear was working, but no audio was coming out of the master. I was scheduled to play in the middle of the evening , but because my gear wasn't working someone else had to go on. It sucked

After spending 45 minutes messing with routing, restarting my computer, all this BS, I quickly googled and found that the problem ended up being the Master Gain Knob in Traktor (software) was turned all the way down. The Master Knob on my S4 did not control the knob in the software. Once I leveled it out, everything was fine. After that, I ended up closing out the evening , and everything went great. If you use an S4 and ever see a blinking Triangle above the SNAP button, it's an indicator of your master knob being either too high or too low, or your laptop not being plugged in.
Narcisa Hughie
Try this: http://www.coderbag.com/Programming-...arking-Utility

Basically Windows tries to park processor cores in order to save energy at every given opportunity. Which is great in the every day world but if you're doing audio production it sucks big time

I'd tried everything possible to get rid of glitches until I stumbled across this. Not had one since

Worked an absolute treat for me but I'm on Win 7 dunno about Win 8
Norris Swartzfager
check out your advanced batterylife options, switched selective usb dropout to never and never had any problems after that anymore (yes even when your laptop is plugged in this can happen).
Darius Goralski
+1 to re-enabling multicore support. I read somewhere that Audio crackling can also be caused by plugging your controller into the USB 3.0 ports. I've experienced this issue first hand so I advise against using them for whatever device you have that contains the sound card.
Tera Baragan
Originally Posted by brian_johnstone
haven't used a windows laptop for a while but when i did i disabled the acpi compliant control (i believe thats it) and ran the djtt optimising script, this sorted EVERYTHING and never had issues again, i was running 2 midi controllers, timecode, & fx on an i3.
Gamebooster and smittens script will help out the OP.

Windows has so many useless things running in the background for no reason and traktor just gets worked by it.
Wynell Muma
Check your usb port, mine used to do this the problem was the usb, so I just used a different one and it's fine! Now I'm on cdjs so I don't have to worry about all this setting up stuff!
Golden Faubert
Tobie Mittler
Originally Posted by The Pancaker
I usually turn on and off all effect units, as well as loading the effects and cranking them up and down before starting a set. I've noticed that loading effects and turning FX units on sometimes causes sudden spikes in CPU activity. Try doing that just in case...
Generally, I only use about 3 FX, but I do turn them on and off across my channels very often.

I'll try that out as well though. Thanks man.
Loyce Mekonen
Tobie Mittler
Thanks everyone for your advice! I'll try some things and get back to you guys.
Addie Engbrecht
Specs seem good, but not all laptops handle real time audio processing the same. Best bet is to increase latency in addition to all the other things you are doing already. External hard drive will not help with the issue. A faster hard drive will help with song load up times, and in some instances browsing and sorting songs on the fly. An external hard drive connection in most cases will be a lot slower then your internal one (most people are forced to use USB)
Lakeesha Storman
Originally Posted by RajMahal
This might be a silly question, but why did you disable multicore support in Traktor? I would have thought you'd want this.
It's actually recommended to turn this off if you're experiencing snaps, crackles and pops. Seems counterintuitive, but...when in Rome...
Layne Koop
Originally Posted by ImNotDedYet

The CPU spikes could be because your latency is too low. Increase the buffer a bit and see if that smooths out the CPU spikes and fixes the dropouts.
+1

I suspect that the latency and number of buffers is cranked way down. Increase both by one notch. Then load up four decks. On three decks crank the effects to the moon, then turn them down (the CPU activity is still happening). On one deck, leave it clean. Listen to the clean track while the others grind away on an endless playlist. It is actually important to load new songs from time to time in the test.

If you don't hear any drops in an hour (or four)...you are good.
If you do hear something drop, increase the latency by another notch and keep listening.

You can do this in the "background" provided you pay just enough attention to hear the drop.
Ninfa Mazariegos
Try setting your audio to 192 samples and 3 milliseconds of buffering and let us know what happens.
Jaye Opela
Lakeesha Storman

Make sure you're not running any services, etc. that you don't need. Someone here created a script that disables a lot of the commonly used services in Windows. (not sure if it's applicable for Windows 8) I added a number of services I know not to be necessary for audio playback as well. For my setup, this script doesn't make much of an impact, but upping the latency buffer a bit to find a happy medium between CPU load and true latency did the trick.
Tobie Mittler
Well, this is only anecdotal evidence of course, but I will say that I've run Traktor for about 8 years now, across several different iterations (Traktor 3.x, Traktor Pro, Traktor Pro 2, and most recently Traktor Scratch Pro 2); across several different platforms (Dell D610 running Windows XP, several MacBooks), using several different interfaces (MOTU Traveler, Xone:2D, Kontrol S4, Audio 8, DN-X1600 mixer) and have always run directly from the internal hard drive. It's never given me so much as a hiccup.
Anecdotal evidence is good enough for me! I just started DJing within the past 6 months, so I'm having to learn a lot of this stuff as I go. The pressure of already getting gigs is forcing me to start believeing about this stuff a lot more seriously.

Traktor is going to run in memory once it's started up, and (as far as I know) only writes to the hard drive when making changes to your collection (i.e. tagging, etc.). So there shouldn't be any real bottleneck there unless I'm missing something.
Makes sense to me. I take a lot of time and prep my tracks and playlists before. So generally there isn't any editing happening on site.

It seems weird to me that your machine is having dropouts, considering I've had flawless performance on machines specced way lower than that. Have you noticed audio dropouts in other applications (just playing music to listen to outside of Traktor, for example)?
Yeah, it's strange to me as well. I've been a PC person my whole life, and a lot of people are feeding me the vapid "should have bought a Mac" line. I produce with Ableton, and the only other time I've experienced CPU load problems or audio dropouts is when I'm working on a really complicated and heavy project, but other than that the computer has always ran flawlessly.

Could my latency settings in Traktor be a factor, or possibly heat?
Merlyn Birchfield

Tobie Mittler
Your specs are well beyond the point that you should be having audio dropouts of any kind. I'd guess that something is directly interfering with your audio performance (i.e. virus protection or some rogue program/service).
It's possible Windows Defender was running in the background. Although, I am running Classic Shell if that makes a difference.

Just out of curiosity, have you run the latest updates/patches for both Windows and Traktor?
Yup, Traktor and Windows are both updated.

Yes, Traktor will recognize it... but no, typically your internal drive will be the fastest access to your music.
Even if it's the same drive that is running Traktor? I've heard a lot of conflicting reports. Some people say definitely run an external, some say not too.
Merlyn Birchfield

<< Back to General DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy