Happy Holidaze for Beatport employees...

Home :: General Discussion :: Happy Holidaze for Beatport employees...Reply
Happy Holidaze for Beatport employees...
Cira Ditz
Originally Posted by synthet1c
Hopefully the next worldwide fad will be glamrock 2.0, that would be funny.
has already started

(I am def not Kanye fan but rather liked this)

Tesha Freudenstein
downright hilarious. oh man...
Nereida Jasnoch
Originally Posted by JZed
It's well on its way already. Things like Black Friday are already spreading beyond America's borders, greed and consumption.. seems like it can't be stopped.
In the rest of the world it's just 10-20% off, nobody gets trampled in the rest of the world. It's not that bad overal imo.

And I guess they were right after all, vinyl is killing the mp3 industry.
Sherrell Dargenio
Originally Posted by dirty moose
This is why the US is in the state that it's currently in. Greed will swallow us all one day....
It's well on its way already. Things like Black Friday are already spreading beyond America's borders, greed and consumption.. seems like it can't be stopped.
Rita Debar
Originally Posted by Coldfuzion
I was reading the comments under the article, and I do not understand what people do not get. No corporation cares about employees, nor should they. They are there to make money. If your department isn't making money and is operating at a loss for long periods they are supposed to get chopped. People talking about "the EDM industry" and shit. Get the hell out of here. It's a fucking business not some website that's up for free.
This is why the US is in the state that it's currently in. Greed will swallow us all one day....
Galen Fraile
Originally Posted by No Left Turn
It's really surprising that the most popular and most expensive electronic music store is operating at a loss.
Yeah thats what I was believeing. At any rate SFX sounds like a shitty greedy company just out to make a buck. Shame passionate people in the industry are being let go because some yuppies want an add on to their garage.
Lakeesha Storman
Originally Posted by William Gibson
Please excuse my friend Cold, he is a little confused....

If you look at big companies in the US, most spoil their employees. Look at Google for instance. The employees get treated like royalty with all the perks they get. Happy employees are willing g to go further and do more for their employer. Simple as that.

The one part Cold did get right was the fact that at the end of the day, a business's job is to make money. Be it money for shareholders, etc. If a department is not producing and all measures have been taken to grant them success, they have to go. A business isn't a friendship at the end of the day....
It's business, and you mention google...but google employees also work their friggin tails off. In technology businesses in particular, layoffs are a fact of life when you're not making money - especially after a takeover. I've been a "victim" of a layoff from a tech company as well as just having a company shut its doors on all the employees when a round of financing didn't come through, and yes it sucks but it's a part of life with tech companies - especially working for somewhat of a startup. (even though beatport's been around for a while, they're still not profitable and relying on funding from outside sources)

It's very easy from the outside looking in to say beatport's crappy for treating their employees this way. But...it's something I've seen a lot in tech companies whether related to music or not, and it's something I'll continue to see. Any engineer working for a company still relying on outside financing should go into that situation with the expectations that this kind of thing is a possibility. If they don't they're naive.

I'm just glad my skills never fit the kind of developers beatport was looking for so I didn't apply there and find myself in that situation for a third time.
nayit ruiz jaramillo
*buys all the supermarket stock of super-hard hairspray and spandex pants*
Cira Ditz
has already started

(I am def not Kanye fan but rather liked this)

Tesha Freudenstein
downright hilarious. oh man...
Nereida Jasnoch
Originally Posted by JZed
In the rest of the world it's just 10-20% off, nobody gets trampled in the rest of the world. It's not that bad overal imo.

And I guess they were right after all, vinyl is killing the mp3 industry.
Sherrell Dargenio
Originally Posted by dirty moose
Rita Debar
I was reading the comments under the article, and I do not understand what people do not get. No corporation cares about employees, nor should they. They are there to make money. If your department isn't making money and is operating at a loss for long periods they are supposed to get chopped. People talking about "the EDM industry" and shit. Get the hell out of here. It's a fucking business not some website that's up for free.
Galen Fraile
Originally Posted by No Left Turn
It's really surprising that the most popular and most expensive electronic music store is operating at a loss.
Yeah thats what I was believeing. At any rate SFX sounds like a shitty greedy company just out to make a buck. Shame passionate people in the industry are being let go because some yuppies want an add on to their garage.
Meg Reinoehl
Lakeesha Storman
Originally Posted by William Gibson

If you look at big companies in the US, most spoil their employees. Look at Google for instance. The employees get treated like royalty with all the perks they get. Happy employees are willing g to go further and do more for their employer. Simple as that.

The one part Cold did get right was the fact that at the end of the day, a business's job is to make money. Be it money for shareholders, etc. If a department is not producing and all measures have been taken to grant them success, they have to go. A business isn't a friendship at the end of the day....
It's business, and you mention google...but google employees also work their friggin tails off. In technology businesses in particular, layoffs are a fact of life when you're not making money - especially after a takeover. I've been a "victim" of a layoff from a tech company as well as just having a company shut its doors on all the employees when a round of financing didn't come through, and yes it sucks but it's a part of life with tech companies - especially working for somewhat of a startup. (even though beatport's been around for a while, they're still not profitable and relying on funding from outside sources)

It's very easy from the outside looking in to say beatport's crappy for treating their employees this way. But...it's something I've seen a lot in tech companies whether related to music or not, and it's something I'll continue to see. Any engineer working for a company still relying on outside financing should go into that situation with the expectations that this kind of thing is a possibility. If they don't they're naive.

I'm just glad my skills never fit the kind of developers beatport was looking for so I didn't apply there and find myself in that situation for a third time.
Shan Bauerly
Thing is... this music, any music - is about people. Sacking everyone before the holidays is just indecent, and, karma will bite them in the ass. Screw beatport and EDM and SiriusXM's crap channels. It's time to get back to house. It's time to take back our music from the man!

Long live Traxsource!
nayit ruiz jaramillo
*buys all the supermarket stock of super-hard hairspray and spandex pants*
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
It's crazy that they thought they could ride the US-EDM gravy train enough to float the company on the stock exchange.. it's only going to last ten years or so before it's pushed back into hibernation and it's time is almost up. Hopefully the next worldwide fad will be glamrock 2.0, that would be funny.
Klara Kinnebrew

Laverna Hansche
Sooooo...that happened...

sad but true business fact, many businesses are bought out with the sole intention of dismantling competition, even if that means destroying the company. Unfortunate for those employees to be in the line of fire, but that's business.

What I find a bit appalling, although it could just be a poor choice of words on the author's part, is that a few months pay ("will take them into early next year") is considered a "substantial severance package".
Celestine Porebski
Yeehaw capitalism
nayit ruiz jaramillo
Wow. I get the reality in your post dude I really do but society will go down the shitter real quick if everyone had that view. Corporations should care. These are people lives, not commodities. Forgive my communist nut job views though eh

One day it might be you getting shit on. I truly hope not but...

Originally Posted by happydan
Treat your employees like shit, you get shit employees.
...and shit P.R as well by the looks of it.
Brunilda Kora
It's true.
Evalyn Voges
Dannie Dimora
So beatport is now going to sell tickets for major festivals?
How great
/s
Carlee Pickard
Latoria Kavulich
"organisational changes" eh.

<< Back to General DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy