How to Sell your music via Digital Distributors ?

Home :: General Discussion :: How to Sell your music via Digital Distributors ?Reply
How to Sell your music via Digital Distributors ?
Posted on: 10.10.2012 by Sofia Clerc
Greetings

I've started a Record Label, and got 3 artists already signed, but we need more exposure.

2 Artists do House Music and other R&B.

1. I would like to know how I can put my label on online store with our music !
2. I would like to know how I can see music through a reliable Digital Distributor
3. How I can sell/promote my music on Traxsource + Juno + Beatport + iTunes etc etc

I've came across with TuneCore but I would like something very reliable to do it.

Thanks in advance
Lawana Mileto
Originally Posted by deevey
Then why is there so much shite music on Beatport
Cause it literally does not have any quality control what so ever.

If you look at the amount of digital releases compared to vinyl releases weekly, it is massive! I reckon over 90% of stuff on beatport is utter bollocks.
Nikole Resende
Originally Posted by djwizard
Slightly offtopic: are you sure it's such a good idea to have artists from different genres on your newly founded label (that's unless by house music you mean really soulful house music that has quite an R&B vibe to it...)?

You're talking about promoting your label. In order to be properly promoted your label needs to clearly stand for something. Whenever you tell people you run a label, they are going to ask what kind of music you're releasing. "Oh, some House Music, some R&B, a little bit of this, a little bit of that" is not the answer you want to give in that case.

DJs look out for labels that stand for a certain style/genre. If they find a label that puts out a lot of music they like they start following it on beatport/traxsouce/soundcloud. But if it turns out the releases of said label are all over the place (genre-wise) they will stop following the label and rather start following the individual artists instead.

It's very important for a small label to have a clearly defined image, so people know exactly what they get, otherwise they won't be coming back...
Cristal Tobis
Not all distributors support Beatport distribution.
Also Beatport will reserve the right to not sell your music if they do not believe it is up to their standards.
That is part of what makes Beatport so great. IF its on there that is a statement of quality in itself.
IndiGoBoom can get your tracks on there if they are good enough.
They offer unlimited uploads and fast delivery for a low flat fee.
Most of the other distributors will charge you extra for anything other than itunes and a couple of other services. IndiGoBoom has all teh stores and still only the flat fee.
Greetings

I've started a Record Label, and got 3 artists already signed, but we need more exposure.

2. I would like to know how I can see music through a reliable Digital Distributor
3. How I can sell/promote my music on Traxsource + Juno + Beatport + iTunes etc etc

I've came across with TuneCore but I would like something very reliable to do it.

Thanks in advance
Benjamin Sieh
Zer0beet
Thanks for the hints and tips, I'm sure their are very useful not only for me, but for any upcoming artist.

In my case im a artist who does some tasks of the label its self. In terms of promoting on our local area I planned the following (allow me to share some ideas, maybe you guys can help me correct some aspects)

Artist : Afrokaya
Genre : Afro - Deep - Soulful - Progressive house
Members : DJ Wizard (DJ and vocals) and Fourty7 (Producer and Vocals)

Promotion
1. Local Radio Stations
2. Local DJ's
3. Online Digital Distribution sites)
4. Soundcloud
5. Friends via e-mail
6. Promotion via Twitter + Facebook

What you guys believe ?

What you guys believe about www.digdis.de ? is it a reliable source ?
Seems like a good enough place to start! with promoting
Dig Dis is a scam from what the internet tells me.
Celine Surico
Originally Posted by Zer0beet
Yes that is true, but nothing in life is truly free. Am I right? You pay one way or another!

And as for the candies? I believe that's over kill but you can do that if you want.
Now, my biggest complaint with RouteNote is that they only accept 320kpbs MP3s, no Beatport presence and their customer support is up and down, sometimes the upload site works, sometimes not. Otherwise it's a good way to release all kinds of music to the commercial sites.

Now, that does little to guarantee that people find the music. For that you need a very proactive record label.
Linda Chavda
Xonetacular! No need to be so hard on the guy, we are here to help not criticize!

As for promotion you'll want to get the name of the artists out there FIRST! The best option in my opinion is hosting a HUGE party! Invite damn near everyone, and have each artist play their tunes, hand out cards, make contacts and all of the regular stuff there. At the party make sure the name of your record label, as well as a web address is posted around the area (banners and light projectors work well). You want the name of the label to be in peoples minds, but you don't want it to be the biggest thing at the party. Let each artists flourish as an individual. As the individual artists get fame, so will the label itself. As your artists are given work, and produce good works, fans will come.

Now I'm 16 and your probably wondering what makes my advice trustworthy. Well its because this is what my label does! And it works pretty well. I will say that our online notoriety is quite meager, but our public notoriety is great! There isn't a party in my state that the Icon DJs aren't involved with!

ANYWAY!

As for content sales.
RevebNation is great as I said earlier.
RouteNote seems to be legit as well, though their free package has you losing a bit of profit.
TuneCore seems to work well too!
You're 16 and have your own label or you're on a label, I'm confused since I couldn't find you on beatport
Benjamin Sieh
Originally Posted by ksandvik
As for RouteNote, don't expect much revenue from most digital sales so it's not a big loss if RouteNote takes some of the meager profits.
Yes that is true, but nothing in life is truly free. Am I right? You pay one way or another!

And as for the candies? I believe that's over kill but you can do that if you want.
Judi Styka
Xonetacular! No need to be so hard on the guy, we are here to help not criticize!

As for promotion you'll want to get the name of the artists out there FIRST! The best option in my opinion is hosting a HUGE party! Invite damn near everyone, and have each artist play their tunes, hand out cards, make contacts and all of the regular stuff there. At the party make sure the name of your record label, as well as a web address is posted around the area (banners and light projectors work well). You want the name of the label to be in peoples minds, but you don't want it to be the biggest thing at the party. Let each artists flourish as an individual. As the individual artists get fame, so will the label itself. As your artists are given work, and produce good works, fans will come.

Now I'm 16 and your probably wondering what makes my advice trustworthy. Well its because this is what my label does! And it works pretty well. I will say that our online notoriety is quite meager, but our public notoriety is great! There isn't a party in my state that the Icon DJs aren't involved with!

ANYWAY!

As for content sales.
RouteNote seems to be legit as well, though their free package has you losing a bit of profit.
i agree with this but in addition, Id hand out KANDII with artist name on them
Lawana Mileto
Originally Posted by deevey
Cause it literally does not have any quality control what so ever.

If you look at the amount of digital releases compared to vinyl releases weekly, it is massive! I reckon over 90% of stuff on beatport is utter bollocks.
Rolanda Clodfelder
That is part of what makes Beatport so great. IF its on there that is a statement of quality in itself.
Nikole Resende
Slightly offtopic: are you sure it's such a good idea to have artists from different genres on your newly founded label (that's unless by house music you mean really soulful house music that has quite an R&B vibe to it...)?

You're talking about promoting your label. In order to be properly promoted your label needs to clearly stand for something. Whenever you tell people you run a label, they are going to ask what kind of music you're releasing. "Oh, some House Music, some R&B, a little bit of this, a little bit of that" is not the answer you want to give in that case.

DJs look out for labels that stand for a certain style/genre. If they find a label that puts out a lot of music they like they start following it on beatport/traxsouce/soundcloud. But if it turns out the releases of said label are all over the place (genre-wise) they will stop following the label and rather start following the individual artists instead.

It's very important for a small label to have a clearly defined image, so people know exactly what they get, otherwise they won't be coming back...
Augustine Mitzen
you can register a label yourself on juno and digital-tunes iirc
Hipolito Scionti
http://www.label-worx.com/
Cristal Tobis
Not all distributors support Beatport distribution.
Also Beatport will reserve the right to not sell your music if they do not believe it is up to their standards.
IndiGoBoom can get your tracks on there if they are good enough.
They offer unlimited uploads and fast delivery for a low flat fee.
Most of the other distributors will charge you extra for anything other than itunes and a couple of other services. IndiGoBoom has all teh stores and still only the flat fee.
Greetings

Thanks in advance
Benjamin Sieh
Zer0beet
Thanks for the hints and tips, I'm sure their are very useful not only for me, but for any upcoming artist.

In my case im a artist who does some tasks of the label its self. In terms of promoting on our local area I planned the following (allow me to share some ideas, maybe you guys can help me correct some aspects)

Promotion
1. Local Radio Stations
2. Local DJ's
4. Soundcloud
5. Friends via e-mail

What you guys believe ?

Seems like a good enough place to start! with promoting
Dig Dis is a scam from what the internet tells me.
Sofia Clerc
Zer0beet

Promotion
1. Local Radio Stations
2. Local DJ's
4. Soundcloud
5. Friends via e-mail

What you guys believe ?

Benjamin Sieh
I'm part of a label! I don't own my own (not sure I could handle all that)! And I just said our Online notoriety is small XD! Everyone in our area (Delaware Philly Lower PA) usually comes to us.
Celine Surico

Now, my biggest complaint with RouteNote is that they only accept 320kpbs MP3s, no Beatport presence and their customer support is up and down, sometimes the upload site works, sometimes not. Otherwise it's a good way to release all kinds of music to the commercial sites.

Now, that does little to guarantee that people find the music. For that you need a very proactive record label.
Linda Chavda

ANYWAY!

As for content sales.
You're 16 and have your own label or you're on a label, I'm confused since I couldn't find you on beatport
Benjamin Sieh
Originally Posted by ksandvik
As for RouteNote, don't expect much revenue from most digital sales so it's not a big loss if RouteNote takes some of the meager profits.

Judi Styka

ANYWAY!

As for content sales.
i agree with this but in addition, Id hand out KANDII with artist name on them
Celine Surico
Benjamin Sieh

ANYWAY!

As for content sales.
Romelia Stankard
Greetings

Thanks in advance
you need an aggregator for beatport. a quick google comes up with this-

somecutzupaggregation.com and many others

http://www.kmag.co.uk/editorial/feat...el-part-2.html

this seems like really straightforward stuff you should be able to research on your own and, you know, figure out first if you are starting a record label and signing artists, no?
Stanley Topoleski
i used to use tunecore quite a while ago i liked it but no beatport or juno support. I am signed now so everything is taken care of.
Antonetta Wikel
Originally Posted by elliot1106
You've started a label and signed three artists yet you don't know how to distribute? I wouldn't want to sign with you for the priorities there alone, however I wish the best of luck.
That's all part of "the plan" with the Cart before the Horse generation.
Linda Chavda
You've started a label and signed three artists yet you don't know how to distribute? I wouldn't want to sign with you for the priorities there alone, however I wish the best of luck.
Benjamin Sieh
ReverbNation seems to be pretty competent with their set up. They allow you to make a public page for your label and each of your artists, mailing lists and all of that good stuff. And at the same time they have a distribution package that will have all of your content posted for sale in iTunes and other places. I'm not sure if BeatPort is included though, so you'd have to check on that if you want music posted in BeatPort.
Sofia Clerc
That's I'm aware, but what best company shall deliver that good service for my label ?

Just a quick remind that my label needs a digital distribution site to promote their artists songs !
Sofia Clerc
@Zer0beet : What company you recommend to do it ? Need more options.

I' ve came across with : dittomusic.com | tunecore.com | cdbaby.com but im not sure their are reliable.

Any advices on this matter would be very useful.
Benjamin Sieh
You have to pay another company to do it for you.

<< Back to General DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy