Dj`ing in a club - Controller, Mixer & Sound card ????

Home :: General Discussion :: Dj`ing in a club - Controller, Mixer & Sound card ????Reply
Dj`ing in a club - Controller, Mixer & Sound card ????
Posted on: 12.12.2013 by Tresa Cellini
Hi Everyone,

I have DJ`d in the past over 7 yrs ago in the clubs. Since then many things have changed... I bought an Imac pro with the Tracktor S4 mixer and hardware (music).

Now... I will be DJ
Addie Engbrecht
Originally Posted by Sambo
Yeah... No. A truly "professional" photographer will get better pictures with a disposable than any random college kid with an SLR. Same goes for DJs. It's not the gear that matters to the crowd!
End product is really all that matters. That's our mindset as a DJ. I get what you're saying here. The people that book you may be able to look past that first impression, and only look at what the end result was, maybe not. You'd be surprised how many owners/promoters started off as DJ's, and are close minded when it comes to controllers, you're a failure to them before you even played a song and there's not much you can do to change their opinion. I don't believe it would be fair if we didn't warn the OP of this.
Cori Ozanich
Originally Posted by kindaFAST
How does someone get paid to DJ at a club yet doesn't know how to turn the sound on?
This
Rolanda Clodfelder
Originally Posted by Patch
Thank god someone said it... ^
i assummed he was planning on bringing the iMac to gigs
Jetta Drenzek
Not only are you used to your S4, it's one of the best controllers on the market and for Traktor, there's arguably not one better. I use it for all my gigs and it does more than enough. In fact, you can instantly tell a bad DJ by his ignorance of one of these three factors:

- Know your gear
- know your songs
- KNOW YOUR CROWD (The most important, you never, never, NEVER forget this one)

Originally Posted by manchild
They may or may not have room for a S4. In any case it's usually not a good look when a club has paid for high end gear and you decide to use something else, kinda like you hire a professional photographer to take pictures at your event, even supply them with great cameras and what not, and they end up using a disposable camera instead, but that's a decision that will be up to you.
Yeah... No. A truly "professional" photographer will get better pictures with a disposable than any random college kid with an SLR. Same goes for DJs. It's not the gear that matters to the crowd!

EDIT: Also, I use the Gator G Club Control Bag, fits my S4, 15" laptop, headphones, F1 and all the wires in. Sturdy and durable, and has more padding than a nutter asylum.
Petra Arra
Originally Posted by Lana Em

Option#1 - Bring my whole DJ Traktor S4 to the club
Option#2 - Buy a controller
your s4 is already a controller. has already have the sound card needed. just plug it in. but like others side, there might not be any space for the s4, so check on the club if they can accommodate your gear.

Now... My friend was talking to me about sound cards, mixers and controllers.

I saw the traktor control x1 MK2 which has the slide bars and I believe an internal sound card?

Can I just use the x1 MK2 ?

Help me here

-Confused...
the x1 mk2 has no sound card built in, you'll have to get a traktor audio 2/4/6/8/10. you can use the x1 alongside the mixer. a lot of people have this setup.

i'm using my x1 and mixer while I have my turntable's voltage converted.
Tresa Cellini
Hi Everyone,

I have DJ`d in the past over 7 yrs ago in the clubs. Since then many things have changed... I bought an Imac pro with the Tracktor S4 mixer and hardware (music).

Now... I will be DJ
Addie Engbrecht
Originally Posted by Sambo
End product is really all that matters. That's our mindset as a DJ. I get what you're saying here. The people that book you may be able to look past that first impression, and only look at what the end result was, maybe not. You'd be surprised how many owners/promoters started off as DJ's, and are close minded when it comes to controllers, you're a failure to them before you even played a song and there's not much you can do to change their opinion. I don't believe it would be fair if we didn't warn the OP of this.
Cori Ozanich
Originally Posted by kindaFAST
How does someone get paid to DJ at a club yet doesn't know how to turn the sound on?
This
Tresa Cellini
Hi guys,

Thanks again for all the great feed back. And yes I know I need a computer

And yes I called faders slide bars... I`m not DJ`ing in Ibiza... I`m doing this for a friend.. have a great ear and music selection I`m going through the learning process again...

8 years ago I was a small club and my friend who was spinning was going to be late for her gig. I picked up a vinyl and started spinning that`s how I learned. I may not know all the terms or what every cable is called but i`m getting there.

It`s like putting a paint brush in somenes hand and they start painting an amazing picture... There not sure what brush they are holding or what type of paint they are using BUT they have a natural way of doing it.

Again thanks to all of you this was helpful.
Rolanda Clodfelder
Originally Posted by Patch
i assummed he was planning on bringing the iMac to gigs
Orval Locascio
Hellen Mindrup
Or just make things easier for everyone including yourself and learn to use CDJs
Brunilda Kora
Augustine Mitzen
you are aware that you need a computer with your S4, right?
Jetta Drenzek
Not only are you used to your S4, it's one of the best controllers on the market and for Traktor, there's arguably not one better. I use it for all my gigs and it does more than enough. In fact, you can instantly tell a bad DJ by his ignorance of one of these three factors:

- Know your gear
- know your songs
- KNOW YOUR CROWD (The most important, you never, never, NEVER forget this one)

Originally Posted by manchild
They may or may not have room for a S4. In any case it's usually not a good look when a club has paid for high end gear and you decide to use something else, kinda like you hire a professional photographer to take pictures at your event, even supply them with great cameras and what not, and they end up using a disposable camera instead, but that's a decision that will be up to you.

EDIT: Also, I use the Gator G Club Control Bag, fits my S4, 15" laptop, headphones, F1 and all the wires in. Sturdy and durable, and has more padding than a nutter asylum.
Alberta Oberti
What's the use of buying another (smaller) controller? You're used to your S4, so take that one with you. There are nice carrying bags to take your controller, laptop, headphones and wiring in one bag. There should be enough space for the S4. And with a good laptop stand, there's also enough space for the laptop.
Latoria Kavulich
clubs stopped using mixers 7 years ago? wow
Chandra Lean
you dj'd before, yet you call faders slide bars?

you can use your S4 and output into the Club's mixer or you can output into the "front of the house"
Petra Arra

Option#1 - Bring my whole DJ Traktor S4 to the club
Option#2 - Buy a controller
your s4 is already a controller. has already have the sound card needed. just plug it in. but like others side, there might not be any space for the s4, so check on the club if they can accommodate your gear.

Now... My friend was talking to me about sound cards, mixers and controllers.

I saw the traktor control x1 MK2 which has the slide bars and I believe an internal sound card?

Can I just use the x1 MK2 ?

Help me here

-Confused...
the x1 mk2 has no sound card built in, you'll have to get a traktor audio 2/4/6/8/10. you can use the x1 alongside the mixer. a lot of people have this setup.

i'm using my x1 and mixer while I have my turntable's voltage converted.
Alphonso Deitchman
An X1 and sound card is a great alternative to bringing in a bulky all-in-one like the S4.

If you only want to use the controls on an X1 (and the club mixer), something simple like a Traktor Audio 2 will be fine. You can also connect newer CDJs directly to Traktor using USB cables (CDJ 900s and 2000s).

Otherwise if you'd like to make use of older CDJs or turntables in the club in addition to your X1, you'll need a timecode package like the Traktor Scratch A6.
Addie Engbrecht
I believe you're talking about the Z1 not X1. Z1 has faders and a soundcard.

To answer your question tho, it depends on the club. Typically clubs that I've gone into have a set of decks and mixer already, and it's just a matter of basically only bringing a laptop and soundcard. From what I hear, that's typical of clubs in the US.

Some "clubs" may not have anything but a PA, and it's up to you to bring everything else. You should definitely check out the setup first and see what you need (gear , style of cables, powerstrips etc.)

<< Back to General DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy