EQ Kills

EQ Kills
Posted on: 12.12.2013 by Kristopher Augusta
Hi. I'm on a very tight budget. I have the opportunity to buy a mint condition Technics SH-MZ1200 mixer for just under $200. I know Technics' mixers never gained a foothold in the market, but I've tried it out and the build quality is exceptional. The sound quality is also fine for my purposes. However, there is no kill on the EQ, just a -24dB cut. Is this a major problem?

By the way, I know there are a range of budget mixers with plenty of bells and whistles. But I just want a solid mixer that gets the job done.
Waldo Sinegal
iv got eq kill buttons on my controller (hercules rmx2) and i really don't use them. by the time i would want to kill a particular eq it would really make a difference as the new track iv been mixing in is in full swing. i guess there are some cool tricks you could try to explore with kills but its nothing a twist of an eq knob doesn't really do for the most part
Kristopher Augusta
Originally Posted by Kwal
The mixer is amazing outside of the fact it has a small pop when you trigger the filter per channel. I just leave mine on so I never have to deal with it.

Build quality is strong and the sound output is like any other Xone.

Plus I plug and unplug A LOT, and I also run my audio through it when I'm producing... It's a good mixer for the price in my opinion.
It sounds like a great unit. I'm just a little worried that I'd be one of the unlucky ones/
Hellen Mindrup
Originally Posted by 45Live
What's the 22 like? I've read some awful reports about their build quality and durability.
The mixer is amazing outside of the fact it has a small pop when you trigger the filter per channel. I just leave mine on so I never have to deal with it.

Plus I plug and unplug A LOT, and I also run my audio through it when I'm producing... It's a good mixer for the price in my opinion.
Kristopher Augusta
Originally Posted by amadeus
Really? There are a fair few mixers do have full kill on the EQ.

For instance my Xone:22 does.
What's the 22 like? I've read some awful reports about their build quality and durability.
Hellen Mindrup
Behringer EQ, eurgh horrible, I used to hate the curve on the eq on my old one, only made a difference when it was nearly all the way down.

EQ on the xone is lovely, and do like the EQ on eclers as well.
Lol yeah I saw a two channel the other day from Behringer and it had the kill switches on the front where our 22's have the mic controls... Looked and felt so damn shaky.
Hank Guidas

Was more of a pun. It reminded me of headline in a news paper e.g "CIGARETTES KILLS" My mixer has full EQ kill.

To OP: it's not really important to have full kill EQs
Lawana Mileto
Yeah, I see a lot of mixers with full kill.. Behringer mixers even offer it.

I don't see a need for it really, I never depend on the kills when mixing. But that's just me.
Behringer EQ, eurgh horrible, I used to hate the curve on the eq on my old one, only made a difference when it was nearly all the way down.

Darron Ambroise
here is no kill on the EQ, just a -24dB cut. Is this a major problem?
Thats damn near all the way out. Anything below is almost pointless while mixing IMO
Hellen Mindrup

I don't see a need for it really, I never depend on the kills when mixing. But that's just me.
Lawana Mileto
Originally Posted by Dohjo
Never seen EQ kill tbh

Minda Verges
However, there is no kill on the EQ, just a -24dB cut. Is this a major problem?
It shouldn't be. It's more for user preference.
Kristopher Augusta
Hi. I'm on a very tight budget. I have the opportunity to buy a mint condition Technics SH-MZ1200 mixer for just under $200. I know Technics' mixers never gained a foothold in the market, but I've tried it out and the build quality is exceptional. The sound quality is also fine for my purposes. However, there is no kill on the EQ, just a -24dB cut. Is this a major problem?

By the way, I know there are a range of budget mixers with plenty of bells and whistles. But I just want a solid mixer that gets the job done.
Sunday Braus
Full eq kill isn't really necessary, just a preference as others have said and cutting 24 out of the bass should be plenty of room for a new track to sit in.
Latoria Kavulich
with practise you can get the manual eq kill trick down. or do what i do and use the kill in traktor in combo with my mixer
Kristopher Augusta

It sounds like a great unit. I'm just a little worried that I'd be one of the unlucky ones/
Hellen Mindrup

Gaynell Rydberg
My Denon goes to -40 dB.

Took me a while to get used to it. Going to 9 o clock is pretty much turning it off completely.
Chandra Lean
EQ kill is actually on most mixers.

my Denon doesn't have switches or buttons, but when my EQ knobs are all the way to the left, that band is "killed" and having it isn't a deal breaker for me. Although i would rather have the ability to "kill" or damn near kill the band via a knob, than having a button. 24dB is plenty of attenuation
Kristopher Augusta

Hellen Mindrup

Lol yeah I saw a two channel the other day from Behringer and it had the kill switches on the front where our 22's have the mic controls... Looked and felt so damn shaky.
Hank Guidas

Was more of a pun. It reminded me of headline in a news paper e.g "CIGARETTES KILLS" My mixer has full EQ kill.

To OP: it's not really important to have full kill EQs
Lawana Mileto

Darron Ambroise
here is no kill on the EQ, just a -24dB cut. Is this a major problem?
Thats damn near all the way out. Anything below is almost pointless while mixing IMO
Kristopher Augusta
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I didn't realise there were as many mixers in that price range. I believe I might go for the Technics, but the Pioneer and A&H entry level units looks pretty good.

Anyway, thanks again.
Augustine Mitzen
Eclers have them too

not a deal breaker, but a nice thing to have.
Hellen Mindrup

Lawana Mileto
Originally Posted by Dohjo
Never seen EQ kill tbh

Lawana Mileto
I personally wouldn't say it was a deal breaker, so its just peronal preferance.

And those technics mixers do look nice.
Hank Guidas
Never seen EQ kill tbh
Minda Verges
However, there is no kill on the EQ, just a -24dB cut. Is this a major problem?
It shouldn't be. It's more for user preference.

<< Back to General DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy