Anyone know of a non-rubberized Macbook keyboard protector ?

Home :: General Discussion :: Anyone know of a non-rubberized Macbook keyboard protector ?Reply
Anyone know of a non-rubberized Macbook keyboard protector ?
Posted on: 14.12.2013 by Rolanda Clodfelder
While a Silicone Skin is great for gigging - its not so hot for Coding and day-to-day typing.

Anyone know of some kind of non-rubberized macbook keyboard skin ?

BTW Oily/Acidic skin and dusty humid environment has meant replacing my physical macbook keyboard 3 times since new - getting a Retina in a few days and this won't be an option anymore so want as much protection while keeping the rather decent macbook keys usable.

And I know i can get an external keyboard but would prefer not to due to comfort as I prefer to use the trackpad more than the mouse for anything bar graphics work.

Suggestions ?
Trula Willadsen
Originally Posted by deevey
Haha, bit drastic

Cant believe no-one has come up with a thin hard plastic type key protector for MacBook keyboard. Going by other community s i'm definitely not the only one who doesn't like the feel of squishy rubber under their fingers when typing.

Maybe theres a kickstarter project for me in the future
I believe you should reconsider your business plan. Otherwise, I've got some GREAT projects for you to invest in...
Brunilda Kora
Possible other option (I know it's a little weird - but, will stop your keyboard contacts from degrading):

0805_atvp_02_z+wear_rubber_gloves+.jpg

And, re: open ports:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rubber-Sil...item53fe4f9d65
Alphonso Deitchman
Originally Posted by Chelan
I'm also interested if anyone's got recommendations for kb covers. External trackpads and keyboards are a solution when not playing out and at home, but not so much at the gig. And while your at it feel free to throw out good cleaning kits or solutions for the MB ports too.
Standard silicone covers are fine for gigs as you won't be typing much. Use Isopropyl Alcohol if you need to clean your ports.
Rolanda Clodfelder
While a Silicone Skin is great for gigging - its not so hot for Coding and day-to-day typing.

Anyone know of some kind of non-rubberized macbook keyboard skin ?

BTW Oily/Acidic skin and dusty humid environment has meant replacing my physical macbook keyboard 3 times since new - getting a Retina in a few days and this won't be an option anymore so want as much protection while keeping the rather decent macbook keys usable.

And I know i can get an external keyboard but would prefer not to due to comfort as I prefer to use the trackpad more than the mouse for anything bar graphics work.

Suggestions ?
Trula Willadsen
Originally Posted by deevey
Haha, bit drastic

Cant believe no-one has come up with a thin hard plastic type key protector for MacBook keyboard. Going by other community s i'm definitely not the only one who doesn't like the feel of squishy rubber under their fingers when typing.

I believe you should reconsider your business plan. Otherwise, I've got some GREAT projects for you to invest in...
Rolanda Clodfelder
Haha, bit drastic

Brunilda Kora
Possible other option (I know it's a little weird - but, will stop your keyboard contacts from degrading):

0805_atvp_02_z+wear_rubber_gloves+.jpg

And, re: open ports:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rubber-Sil...item53fe4f9d65
Rolanda Clodfelder
And after a day out and about looking for a deal on the Retina, I've been convinced to make a good rational decision by my other half ..

1. Buy 21.5' iMac @ $300 less than Macbook for working at home (Last generation so I can upgrade ram/hdd/processor)
  2. Keep existing Tricked out macbook pro exclusively for Gigging software / out and about stuff
  3. Never worry about the tactility of the Macbook keyboard again.

Oh well I guess I'll be not using the trackpad anymore - time for a change.
Rolanda Clodfelder
Why not just use sticky labels, and replace them when they get worn?
Oil/Moisture gets inside the mechanics of the keyboard down the side of the keys causing the contacts on the plastic membrane under the key to either stick / wear off.

Labels won't cover the gaps, the key paint has never worn off - this is probably pretty unique to me as I have pretty acidic oily skin which already causes extreme pitting around the edges of my macbook (and caused me to need to replace the entire top case an year or so ago it got so bad).

Issue is of course almost always with cmd/option/x/c/v/q/w keys only as these are the ones I most use during coding and design.

What do you do with all the unused plugs (firewire/hdmi etc)? Dust can easily get through those places as well I guess?
Thanks I Have multiple USB devices already plugged in thanks and I don't type on the Firewire port

Macbook keyboards and trackpads are great, but I wouldn't call them ergonomic. Have you ever owned a decent external keyboard?
Plenty - however its the proximity of the (awesome) trackpad to the laptop keyboard which I find is the ideal setup for 90% what I do with the exception being a mouse for design work.

I'll probably go with Moshi Clearguard, looks like one of the thinnest protectors out there - ugh, did not want rubberized.
Alphonso Deitchman
Originally Posted by Chelan
I'm also interested if anyone's got recommendations for kb covers. External trackpads and keyboards are a solution when not playing out and at home, but not so much at the gig. And while your at it feel free to throw out good cleaning kits or solutions for the MB ports too.
Standard silicone covers are fine for gigs as you won't be typing much. Use Isopropyl Alcohol if you need to clean your ports.
Brunilda Kora
Why not just use sticky labels, and replace them when they get worn?
Chuck Peretto
Alphonso Deitchman
Sockets aren't open air ducts into the computer, so you'd only have to clean out the socket itself.
Trula Willadsen
What do you do with all the unused plugs (firewire/hdmi etc)? Dust can easily get through those places as well I guess?
Alphonso Deitchman
Macbook keyboards and trackpads are great, but I wouldn't call them ergonomic. Have you ever owned a decent external keyboard?
Rolanda Clodfelder
I already know about external options - I really really do not want to go with an add ons however the macbook keyboard + trackpad is the most ergonomic setup I've ever had.
nayit ruiz jaramillo
Yeah I have the bluetooth Apple keyboard and separate Magic Trackpad. The Trackpad is excellent, I love it.
Alphonso Deitchman
Mechanical keyboard + Magic trackpad?

<< Back to General DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy