Starting in music production...

Home :: General Discussion :: Starting in music production...Reply
Starting in music production...
Posted on: 17.12.2013 by Roy Houn
Im curious to look into the production side of things, and have never done anything like it before. I've watched some videos on youtube on Maschine and some on Ableton Push, which would be the best to go for for someone starting out and learning to make some music??
Berta Baie
Originally Posted by Daily Crisis
All personal preference IMO... I've tried a lot of DAW's and Ableton was the best fit for me.
Yeah the DAW thing is really just a matter of which you decide to stick with. They all pretty much do the same thing and starting out you probably don't have much of a clue as to what you really need anyway. So best bet is to pick one and just roll with it. Bouncing around between DAWs is probably a waste of your time. Best to just get your hands dirty with one and learn it well.
Petra Arra
Originally Posted by dripstep
mtv music generator (playstation)
this and a dj arcade game (way before dj hero on playstation/xbox/wii) was my first real encounter with music making and djing. lol
Alycia Niederriter
Originally Posted by Kwal
Why does no one mention FL Studio?
I believe FL Studio is brilliant. Very beginner friendly.
Lakeesha Storman
I rock the FL Studio, but I left my one half-finished song when I got tables cause all I want to do now in my spare time is spin vinyl. For me, FL Studio does the trick. I know what the hell I'm doing in it. Workflow is good for me, piano roll is rockin and I can control everything I need in FL studio using my MIDI controller. At this point, I haven't run into any limitations with it.

It's not the tool you use, but how you use it that makes the difference. At least that's what I tell the girls I'm hitting on at the moment.
Alycia Niederriter
Nobody ever talks about Reason here, I personally believe it's much better for producing than ableton. Ableton is good for taking your productions live, but as for getting into the nitty gritty of producing, reason, reason, reason.
My 2c
All personal preference IMO... I've tried a lot of DAW's and Ableton was the best fit for me.
Lashawn Maycock
Originally Posted by paulmac
was watching some videos from danny j lewis and he seemed to be making some really good stuff just on maschine as a stand alone. That appeals to me as youve got the pads and that there to use rather that just using keyboard and looking on the screen, whether its just me just looks easier to see on there..like i say ive never done anything on the production side before, and watching these videos has got me curious. He does one where he samples "christmas star" off home alone, just grabbing samples from it on youtube and playing around on the pads on maschine..was very impressive
Definitely agree, Danny makes quality music and he's a very, very adept producer across a lot platforms too. As you can see the DAW is a personal choice and I would suggest trying a load of demos and see which workflow works best for you. I can highly recommend Maschine, especially 2.0 and as another poster said; the recent 2.0 release has added a lot of tools you would find in a full DAW.

Nobody ever talks about Reason here, I personally believe it's much better for producing than ableton. Ableton is good for taking your productions live, but as for getting into the nitty gritty of producing, reason, reason, reason.
My 2c
Love Reason, it's funny how it is never mentioned much, certainly Ableton seems to be recommended a lot, or maybe that's my perception. I keep trying Ableton to see what it is that is so wonderful, but I keep going back to Reason/Maschine. Only thing I would say is that Reason 7 is a beast and is very powerful and will take a little time to get to grips with possibly. I started at Reason 2 when it was a lot smaller, so I'm not sure what a new starter would believe of the current release(?). But as an all in the box bit of kit Reason is a winner.
Petra Arra
Originally Posted by Nas525
Im here just wondering is a sound card nesesarry? What does it really do after all? i would imagine better quality sound or is it more then that?
most sound cards come with a software, if not pro at least they will give you something to try on(like an LE version or something). they will also allow you to have inputs for midi, microphone and instruments as well as outputs for your headphones and monitor speakers.

I like ableton, i'm just getting used to it. Its the first software i tried because it came with my keyboard. I'll try reason or logic on the holiday break
Arla Padierna
Originally Posted by JBang
Seeing as you're just starting out, just choose your software and a good pair of headphones. That is the bare minimum to get started.

Then after a few months or so, if you decide that this is something you want to keep doing, then look at sound cards, controllers, monitors, and a caffeine addiction.
Im here just wondering is a sound card nesesarry? What does it really do after all? i would imagine better quality sound or is it more then that?
Rufus Ondrick
My 2c
Hah! I thought I was the only one believeing this.
Hellen Mindrup
My 2c
I used to use Reason w/ Ableton when I first started to produce... Now that I got back into it I've been stuck on only Ableton... Maybe I should give it another go.
Augustina Zulu
I haven't played around in Reason since they added the SSL style mixer but I had a lot of fun even with the more basic mixer. The audio routing is unlike any other software. The one down side to Reason is that - even though they added plug-in support with rack extensions, you can't use them anywhere but in Reason. There is also a more limited selection (no NI). With VST and AU plugins, you can use them in Logic, Maschine, Live and any other software host. The only up side is that the rack extensions tend to be a bit cheaper than native plugins.
Yong Aptekar
It was a fun game.

OP, to answer your question, neither of those controllers. Check out videos and demos of the different DAWs, and see what you are most interested in trying. A controller comes later on, or not at all. Production is a deep pool, and there are many things to learn, don't rush to gear too fast.
Berta Baie
Originally Posted by Daily Crisis
Yeah the DAW thing is really just a matter of which you decide to stick with. They all pretty much do the same thing and starting out you probably don't have much of a clue as to what you really need anyway. So best bet is to pick one and just roll with it. Bouncing around between DAWs is probably a waste of your time. Best to just get your hands dirty with one and learn it well.
Petra Arra
mtv music generator (playstation)
this and a dj arcade game (way before dj hero on playstation/xbox/wii) was my first real encounter with music making and djing. lol
Yong Aptekar
Not trying to sound elitist, but yes it is personal preference, but having used flight, reason, ableton and mtv music generator (playstation), reason is more involved, takes more time to learn, but let's you pick every little bit of sound apart on every level. The rest produce music just as well, but seem so beginner easy to me. Loops and clips seem like the "I want to be a producer and make edm", and programming synths and building drum lines in reason is the professional choice.

Disclaimer: personal preference only, don't flame me over this or turn this into a Mac vs pc/ traktor vs vdj style debate. Use what works for you, some software has a huge learning curve, and not everyone wants to put that level of effort/time into making music.
Alycia Niederriter
I believe FL Studio is brilliant. Very beginner friendly.
Lakeesha Storman
I rock the FL Studio, but I left my one half-finished song when I got tables cause all I want to do now in my spare time is spin vinyl. For me, FL Studio does the trick. I know what the hell I'm doing in it. Workflow is good for me, piano roll is rockin and I can control everything I need in FL studio using my MIDI controller. At this point, I haven't run into any limitations with it.

It's not the tool you use, but how you use it that makes the difference. At least that's what I tell the girls I'm hitting on at the moment.
Hellen Mindrup
Alycia Niederriter
My 2c
Lashawn Maycock
was watching some videos from danny j lewis and he seemed to be making some really good stuff just on maschine as a stand alone. That appeals to me as youve got the pads and that there to use rather that just using keyboard and looking on the screen, whether its just me just looks easier to see on there..like i say ive never done anything on the production side before, and watching these videos has got me curious. He does one where he samples "christmas star" off home alone, just grabbing samples from it on youtube and playing around on the pads on maschine..was very impressive
Definitely agree, Danny makes quality music and he's a very, very adept producer across a lot platforms too. As you can see the DAW is a personal choice and I would suggest trying a load of demos and see which workflow works best for you. I can highly recommend Maschine, especially 2.0 and as another poster said; the recent 2.0 release has added a lot of tools you would find in a full DAW.

My 2c
Love Reason, it's funny how it is never mentioned much, certainly Ableton seems to be recommended a lot, or maybe that's my perception. I keep trying Ableton to see what it is that is so wonderful, but I keep going back to Reason/Maschine. Only thing I would say is that Reason 7 is a beast and is very powerful and will take a little time to get to grips with possibly. I started at Reason 2 when it was a lot smaller, so I'm not sure what a new starter would believe of the current release(?). But as an all in the box bit of kit Reason is a winner.
Arla Padierna
By far I feel that logic is the way to go for electro house music. If you have the iPad app it goes directly with logic. Perfect for using a keayboard and recording anything on it. Not to mention the fact is that the key board u can put in to melodies that play all in key
Hipolito Scionti
If I had my time again i might learn ableton but tbh i really like logic, and every time i use it discover something new
Petra Arra
Originally Posted by Nas525
most sound cards come with a software, if not pro at least they will give you something to try on(like an LE version or something). they will also allow you to have inputs for midi, microphone and instruments as well as outputs for your headphones and monitor speakers.

I like ableton, i'm just getting used to it. Its the first software i tried because it came with my keyboard. I'll try reason or logic on the holiday break
Arla Padierna
Originally Posted by JBang
Seeing as you're just starting out, just choose your software and a good pair of headphones. That is the bare minimum to get started.

Then after a few months or so, if you decide that this is something you want to keep doing, then look at sound cards, controllers, monitors, and a caffeine addiction.
Rufus Ondrick
My 2c
Hah! I thought I was the only one believeing this.
Chuck Peretto
Yes, I would have at least the minimum specs, but in upgrading a computer, am I gonna see a better workflow with more RAM or more CPU power when producing?

Example: Is 16GB over 8GB RAM the better choice or would 2.3GHz over 2.0GHz CPU be the best move when producing using any of the software that has been mentioned? Thanks
Augustina Zulu
Now that Maschine has a mixer section and side chains I could see learning production on the stand alone. Personally I use it as a plug in Logic but maybe I'll try to do a full track in stand alone and see how far I get.
Hellen Mindrup
My 2c
I used to use Reason w/ Ableton when I first started to produce... Now that I got back into it I've been stuck on only Ableton... Maybe I should give it another go.
Yong Aptekar
My 2c
Lakeesha Storman
Up to you to decide, get the trial version for both and give it a whirl. Watch some tutorials and go from there.
This, and perhaps explore some other trials as well.
Hellen Mindrup
Yes your all right, lol...im very impulsive and when i see something i just want it lol....so i suppose the question is Ableton or Logic Pro? which is the best? easiest? best features and layout?
Up to you to decide, get the trial version for both and give it a whirl. Watch some tutorials and go from there.
Kathern Yanwinkle
Bang for your buck, Logic, everytime. With everything it includes "in the box" you can't really go wrong. Personally though, I hate it and use Ableton almost exclusively, and logic only when its required for school.
Roy Houn
Yes your all right, lol...im very impulsive and when i see something i just want it lol....so i suppose the question is Ableton or Logic Pro? which is the best? easiest? best features and layout?
Maryam Fevold

Hellen Mindrup
Learn the DAW first, like arsman said, you don't need the external controller right away. Hell, you don't need one at all to be honest. Test the waters first before diving in.
Roy Houn
Petra Arra
starting out?

mouse or trackpad, computer's keyboard, laptop/computer, DAW and a good set of monitor speakers/headphones. you do not need ableton push or maschine to start. but if you must, choose your DAW and base your controller from there because both have different workflow.

<< Back to General DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy