Help classifying my techno playlist into subgenres!

Home :: General Discussion :: Help classifying my techno playlist into subgenres!Reply
Help classifying my techno playlist into subgenres!
Posted on: 20.12.2013 by Galen Fraile
Alright so techno is by far and large my favourite genre to mix and play around with, to the point where i've amassed faaar too much to keep efficiently navigating in one Traktor playlist. However, unlike house and drum and bass, which is pretty simple to break down into subgenres, i'm having a hard time splitting apart my techno collection into more manageable groups or moods. I've got my minimal all sorted out, that's easy enough. Dark/heavy stuff is okay too. But I have no idea how to sort and classify stuff like Christian Smith, John Digweed, Chris Liebing, Boyz Noize, Hobo, Daniel Avery etc. as they all seem to kind of have their own signature sound.

Are there any other techno DJs out there who've got suggestions? Is there a better, or more obvious way to sort techno?
Any advice is much appreciated
Galen Fraile
Originally Posted by LanceBlaise
Best way: Learn your music. Problem solved, don't need a million subgenres...
Touche. Its more just so i'm not scrolling for a minute straight to get through a single playlist. I ended up just making up my own categories for them like you all suggested.
Sherrell Dargenio
Originally Posted by Patch
I only have TWO sub-genres for Techno.

1) Goes with Energy Flash*, and;
2) Does not go with Energy Flash*

*I don't really. And Energy Flash is the only Techno song I can believe of right now. Ooh - I just thought of another one! Crispy Bacon!

Mmmm... Bacon.
Off topic, because of your post I'm eating bacon toevening .
Galen Fraile
Alright so techno is by far and large my favourite genre to mix and play around with, to the point where i've amassed faaar too much to keep efficiently navigating in one Traktor playlist. However, unlike house and drum and bass, which is pretty simple to break down into subgenres, i'm having a hard time splitting apart my techno collection into more manageable groups or moods. I've got my minimal all sorted out, that's easy enough. Dark/heavy stuff is okay too. But I have no idea how to sort and classify stuff like Christian Smith, John Digweed, Chris Liebing, Boyz Noize, Hobo, Daniel Avery etc. as they all seem to kind of have their own signature sound.

Are there any other techno DJs out there who've got suggestions? Is there a better, or more obvious way to sort techno?
Any advice is much appreciated
Galen Fraile
Originally Posted by LanceBlaise
Touche. Its more just so i'm not scrolling for a minute straight to get through a single playlist. I ended up just making up my own categories for them like you all suggested.
Efrain Scharr
Bryon Taglieri
I don't have this problem it's just Detroit techno on my playlist.
Ara Tima
I use the names of mates who haven't different tastes in techno in the comments. Works well for me, would be an absolute shambles for anyone else.
Sherrell Dargenio
Originally Posted by Patch

*I don't really. And Energy Flash is the only Techno song I can believe of right now. Ooh - I just thought of another one! Crispy Bacon!

Mmmm... Bacon.
Off topic, because of your post I'm eating bacon toevening .
Brunilda Kora

Mmmm... Bacon.
Lillia Datson
Just label them by whatever comes into your head first and stick with that label for the name of a crate that similar tracks go into. For instance any of my tech-house that has Bongo drums/Toms or a tribal feel go under Tech-Bongo.
Sherrell Dargenio
Patch is right, I have all genres broken down into sub and then sub genres again on my Traktor playlists, but it's up to you to figure out. It will be easier in the long run, because it has to make sense to you, just as mine make sense to me. Simply put though, dark, bangers, funks, drums, warmups, melodic... Play around, I've moved stuff around many times.
Brunilda Kora
Seruiously - invent your own way to classify them. You'll save yourself A LOT of trouble.

<< Back to General DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy