How to expand the midifighter?

Home :: MIDIfighter Resources and Discussion :: How to expand the midifighter?Reply
How to expand the midifighter?
Posted on: 22.04.2010 by Susann Blachford
Hi Everyone,

I've been believeing about getting the midifighter because of its supposed expansion capabilities. In a recent article it was said that the midifighter had the following expansion possibilities:

"Analog inputs = 4 (expandable to 16)
Digital inputs = 16 buttons, 4 unassigned (expandable 200+)
LED outputs = 0 (expandable 200+ with latched serial drivers)

I was just wondering how one would go about doing this hardware wise. I read somewhere in that article about analog multiplexers or something...

anyone know?

Thanks
Matha Obray
Originally Posted by Horza
This thread went cold time ago but should be a really important part of this community . Like mentioned by over people for me the most interesting aspect of the MIDI Controller is the possibility of attaching extra components.

I was wanting to attach 4 extra buttons and 4 crossfaders and I was wondering how much soldering/coding would I need to complete this? And I suppose me adding 4 extra LED's (one for each button would prove a evening mare?

Sorry for the lack of knowledge, owning the S4 has made me want to dive in to DIY MIDI controllers and its all relatively new to me. I've looked at other boards out there and but the MIDI fighter is almost a perfect fit for my ideal controller.
Look through the DJTT blog archives. There are a couple good articles. But mainly ur going to solder the buttons and the faders on the midi fighters expansion ports.
Katherin Voigts
This thread went cold time ago but should be a really important part of this community . Like mentioned by over people for me the most interesting aspect of the MIDI Controller is the possibility of attaching extra components.

I was wanting to attach 4 extra buttons and 4 crossfaders and I was wondering how much soldering/coding would I need to complete this? And I suppose me adding 4 extra LED's (one for each button would prove a evening mare?

Sorry for the lack of knowledge, owning the S4 has made me want to dive in to DIY MIDI controllers and its all relatively new to me. I've looked at other boards out there and but the MIDI fighter is almost a perfect fit for my ideal controller.
Please some one save the day!
Freeda Chinnis
Originally Posted by Ponke
I'm also interested in expanding my midifighter. I'm a bit noob when it comes to things like this.

I watched the DIY introduction and there it seemed like crossfader is connected to midifighter with only one wire. Is it really that easy? What is best place to order midifighter friendly crossfaders, knobs etc?
Anybody?
Buster Kiper
Originally Posted by midifidler
The ability to seriously expand the IO of the midifighter is only possible with some advanced hacking.

Because you have access to the source code & schematics it is possible if you have the skill allready, however it is not for the beginner.
I assume you're talking about using the 4 inputs to create an isolated matrix input with diodes to stop ghosting and masking. And then modifying the source to read the inputs and and decipher them

Buster Kiper
Originally Posted by DJ Asand
im very interested in this too!
x2.
Susann Blachford
Hi Everyone,

I've been believeing about getting the midifighter because of its supposed expansion capabilities. In a recent article it was said that the midifighter had the following expansion possibilities:

"Analog inputs = 4 (expandable to 16)
Digital inputs = 16 buttons, 4 unassigned (expandable 200+)
LED outputs = 0 (expandable 200+ with latched serial drivers)

I was just wondering how one would go about doing this hardware wise. I read somewhere in that article about analog multiplexers or something...

anyone know?

Thanks
Matha Obray

Look through the DJTT blog archives. There are a couple good articles. But mainly ur going to solder the buttons and the faders on the midi fighters expansion ports.
Katherin Voigts

Please some one save the day!
Katherin Voigts

Freeda Chinnis
Originally Posted by Ponke
I'm also interested in expanding my midifighter. I'm a bit noob when it comes to things like this.

I watched the DIY introduction and there it seemed like crossfader is connected to midifighter with only one wire. Is it really that easy? What is best place to order midifighter friendly crossfaders, knobs etc?
Anybody?
Adolf Hit
OT: but I was in Sydney over the weekend and down by the Opera House a guy had an original delorean he had pimped to be as close to the back to the future car as possible - it was very convincing - flux capacitor and all.

Sooooo coool - I believe I got a bit over excited
Nick Ross
What if I attached it to a flux capacitor. Would that be ok?
Freeda Chinnis

Latrice Boever
Might I recccomend looking into the monome. Or Arduinome. Just get an arduino, or livid brain, and do serial using some multiplexers from sparkfun and livid. I have been believeing about putting my own together for a while.

http://flipmu.com/work/arduinome/
Vernie Beharry
Although that did just rain on my parade

sorry. . .my randomness get's the best of me sometimes. . .
Buster Kiper
Ahhh ok, thanks for clearing that up. Although that did just rain on my parade
robert chanda
Not really. We're talking about using a combination of digital and analog pins to talk to an external microcontroller over an SPI bus so that it can read additional buttons and sliders and control LEDs. Adding a microcontroller to run the extended user interface while the original micro concentrates on running the 16 keys and the USB interface.

Electronically not difficult to do, the problem is defining the serial protocol that allows the two machines to talk reliably, efficiently and without error.
Buster Kiper
Originally Posted by midifidler
The ability to seriously expand the IO of the midifighter is only possible with some advanced hacking.

Because you have access to the source code & schematics it is possible if you have the skill allready, however it is not for the beginner.
I assume you're talking about using the 4 inputs to create an isolated matrix input with diodes to stop ghosting and masking. And then modifying the source to read the inputs and and decipher them

Adolf Hit

Out of the box you can expand it with a further 4 buttons, and 4 analog components (ie 4 faders, or 4 knobs, or 2 x XY joysticks etc)
Buster Kiper
Originally Posted by DJ Asand
x2.
Ralph Alderette

<< Back to MIDIfighter Resources and DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy