A Sit Down With DJ Max Vangeli
Size Records Electronic music producer Max Vangeli was presented one of the most promising artists for 2011 by MTV and DJ Mag. Since then he has exceeded expectations. In 2012 Vangeli released collaborations with some big names in the industry such as Steve Angello, Tiesto and Calvin Harris. From there Max dropped his weekly CODE RADIO podcast in 2013. The mix became globally recognized within two months of releasing it. In 2014, he collaborated with long time friend and producer Danny Ray and put out a progressive house track Grim on Size Records. After his Grim track, Vangeli tweaked around his sound with the single Last Night Changed It All charting in the Top 25 of the iTunes dance music chart alongside Skrillex and Avicii.
"The industry is a bitch. When you are making waves, everyone wants to be your friend. But when you fall off for a minute, its all over."
You come from Moldavia but for several years you live in San Francisco. What caused this change for your career and you?
I entered the Deep House scene in San Francisco and it really shaped my sound all the way. It was a special stage at that time and guys like Kaskade(who is from San Fransisco) really influenced me a lot.
Tell us about your own Label.
The main reason for launching my own imprint is to be in control of my own music and not to worry about people telling me to change this or that. Another reason why the label is called NoFace is because I want to diversify my music and not pigeonhole in general. Its about making a difference in the music industry and this is my intention. I want to give people something fresh and unique, and at the same time, I want to be able to make what I want to make and not what A&Rs want to hear. Freedom is something that not all of us get to enjoy nowadays, and now I get to enjoy mine. Ive got one mission in 2016 and the rest of my career, and thats NoFace Records. Ive crossed the biggest thing off my bucket list already, which was to play at Sensation White Amsterdam in front of nearly 60k people at one stage. I have toured with the best and collaborated with incredible talent, so now its time to cross that final big one off: my own imprint! I will work until I drop, but this label will be successful. If it isnt, I have failed as an artist
Where do you get your inspiration when you make songs like You & Me and Last Night Changed It All ?
Honestly from my heart Im hoping. I think both of these records are very unique in their own right, but most of all, they were songs by the same girl which created even more of a unique and special scenario. It also shows people how much I really do love Progressive House.
Whats happening with Size Records this summer?
Big things but the main thing is our album of course! Steve has a lot of amazing records he is going to push as well on his end!
Which artists (electronic or not) do you like in terms of work?
I like what guys like Corey James and WILLKdo. I also listen to a lot of Future Bass / electronic stuff like Flume and Odesza.
Do you prefer making music solo or as a duo?
I prefer both, as they are two different crafts. Sometimes I love being alone in the studio making records, but sometimes I like being in a room full of people bouncing ideas off of each other. Its a completely different experience.
You have also traveled the planet to play your music. Which places have the most marked?
I would say Ibiza! So many stories out there and so many amazing memories on this magical island.
What is the craziest venue or festival youve experienced?
So many different ones honestly, but I will never forget the first time I played Creamfields. Sensation White was also incredible! As far as clubs, I would say Pacha Ibiza.
- 03.08.2020 Ivan Dorn unearths stunning new single 'Love Could Be'
- 22.05.2019 Selena Gomez at Cannes 2019
- 22.05.2019 Here Are the Lyrics to Taylor Swift's 'ME!,'
- 22.05.2019 Why Gwyneth Paltrow Has Worked Hard'
- 20.05.2019 Netherlands wins Eurovision
- 22.05.2019 Julia Roberts Reveals Why Shes Never Watched Game of Thrones
- 22.05.2019 Elton John: 'Being a performer saved my life'
- 22.05.2019 Shakira and Carlos Vives beat plagiarism case
- 20.05.2019 Taylor Swift admits strange shower habit
- 19.05.2019 Sam Smith & Normani's 'Dancing With a Stranger' Hits No. 1
- 19.05.2019 Michael Jackson's Eldest Child Prince Graduates
- 15.05.2019 Taylor Swift Reacts to YouTubers' 'ME!'
- 19.05.2019 Unfinished Prince memoir gets publication date
- 15.05.2019 'Daisy Jones & the Six' goes behind the music
- 15.05.2019 P!nk and Stormzy Continue U.K. Chart Reigns
- 15.05.2019 Halsey Announces New Single 'Nightmare'
- 14.05.2019 Grandmaster Flash wins Polar Music Prize
- 14.05.2019 New releases from Amanda Palmer, Stella Donnelly
- 19.05.2019 Hozier talks about new album 'Wasteland, Baby!'
- 14.05.2019 Myspace loses 50 million songs
Back to news