Selena Gomez at Cannes 2019
"For my generation specifically, social media has been terrible."
I think our world is going through a lot, Gomez said at a press conference in the South of France on Wednesday morning. I would say for my generation, specifically, social media has really been terrible. It does scare me when you see how exposed these young boys and young girls are. They are not aware of the news. I think its dangerous for sure. I dont think people are getting the right information sometimes.
Gomez has more than 150 million Instagram followers, but she said that shes learned to be selective about what she posts. I think its pretty impossible to make it safe at this point, Gomez said. Im grateful I have the platform. I dont do a lot of pointless pictures. For me, I like to be intentional with it. It just scares me. Ill see these young girls at meet and greets. They are devastated, dealing with bullying and not being able to have their own voice. It can be great in moments. I would be careful and allow yourself some time limits of when you should use it.
The 26-year-old added that despite living online many young people were unaware of important news issues.
"It's a useful platform but it does scare me when you see young boys and girls not really aware of the news going on," she added.
"It's selfish - I don't wanna say selfish, that's rude - but it's dangerous for sure."
Gomez who has 150 million Instagram followers, was last year overtaken by footballer Cristiano Ronaldo as the most followed person on the platform, and she has previously taken lengthy breaks from social media.
Directed by auteur Jim Jarmusch, The Dead Dont Die stars Gomez, Bill Murray, Tilda Swinton, Chloë Sevigny and Adam Driver and tells the story of a picturesque American town that becomes overrun with zombies after polar fracking tilts Earth off its axis.
Women have been making films for 11 decades now, Swinton said. There are countless films by women. The question is why dont we know about them.
You have a great master like [Ukrainian director] Kira Muratova, who died recently. Her obituary was that size in most national newspapers, she added, squeezing her fingers together. Whereas the great male masters, when they pass on well have whole issues dedicated to them.
- 03.08.2020 Ivan Dorn unearths stunning new single 'Love Could Be'
- 22.05.2019 Selena Gomez at Cannes 2019
- 22.05.2019 Here Are the Lyrics to Taylor Swift's 'ME!,'
- 22.05.2019 Why Gwyneth Paltrow Has Worked Hard'
- 20.05.2019 Netherlands wins Eurovision
- 22.05.2019 Julia Roberts Reveals Why Shes Never Watched Game of Thrones
- 22.05.2019 Elton John: 'Being a performer saved my life'
- 22.05.2019 Shakira and Carlos Vives beat plagiarism case
- 20.05.2019 Taylor Swift admits strange shower habit
- 19.05.2019 Sam Smith & Normani's 'Dancing With a Stranger' Hits No. 1
- 19.05.2019 Michael Jackson's Eldest Child Prince Graduates
- 15.05.2019 Taylor Swift Reacts to YouTubers' 'ME!'
- 19.05.2019 Unfinished Prince memoir gets publication date
- 15.05.2019 'Daisy Jones & the Six' goes behind the music
- 15.05.2019 P!nk and Stormzy Continue U.K. Chart Reigns
- 15.05.2019 Halsey Announces New Single 'Nightmare'
- 14.05.2019 Grandmaster Flash wins Polar Music Prize
- 14.05.2019 New releases from Amanda Palmer, Stella Donnelly
- 19.05.2019 Hozier talks about new album 'Wasteland, Baby!'
- 14.05.2019 Myspace loses 50 million songs
Back to news