Taylor Swift hops to Universal Music Group
"Over the years, Sir Lucian Grainge and Monte Lipman have been such incredible partners. It's so thrilling to me that they, and the UMG team, will be my label family moving forward. It's also incredibly exciting to know that I'll own all of my master recordings that I make from now on."
Taylor Swift has left her record label home of the past 12 years and signed a new worldwide deal with Universal Music Group.
Announcing the big industry news via Instagram, the pop star posted a shot of herself posing with UMG chairman and CEO Lucian Grainge and Republic Records CEO Monte Lipman.
She added the caption: "I'm ecstatic to announce that my musical home will be Republic Records and Universal Music Group.
"Over the years, Sir Lucian Grainge and Monte Lipman have been such incredible partners. It's so thrilling to me that they, and the UMG team, will be my label family moving forward. It's also incredibly exciting to know that I'll own all of my master recordings that I make from now on.
The 10-time Grammy winner signed with Big Machine Record when she was just 15-years-old. In her time with the Nashville-based independent label, Swift sold more than 32 million albums in the United States alone. The 28-year-old is now the only artist in history to have four albums sell more than one million copies in their release week. Swift is arguably one of the most successful female artists of all time.
She closed her note with a "heartfelt thanks" to Big Machine's Scott Borchetta. "Im extremely grateful to get to do what I love, especially with the people Ive been fortunate enough to work with," she shared.
Swift has also sparred publicly with Spotify, removing her catalog from the service for what she said was unfair compensation. Her music returned last year, after Spotify agreed to restrict some music to its paid tier, which pays higher royalties.
Swift also teased new music. Im so excited, she wrote at the end of her note. I cant wait to show you what Im making next.
- 03.08.2020 Ivan Dorn unearths stunning new single 'Love Could Be'
- 22.05.2019 Selena Gomez at Cannes 2019
- 22.05.2019 Here Are the Lyrics to Taylor Swift's 'ME!,'
- 22.05.2019 Why Gwyneth Paltrow Has Worked Hard'
- 20.05.2019 Netherlands wins Eurovision
- 22.05.2019 Julia Roberts Reveals Why Shes Never Watched Game of Thrones
- 22.05.2019 Elton John: 'Being a performer saved my life'
- 22.05.2019 Shakira and Carlos Vives beat plagiarism case
- 20.05.2019 Taylor Swift admits strange shower habit
- 19.05.2019 Sam Smith & Normani's 'Dancing With a Stranger' Hits No. 1
- 19.05.2019 Michael Jackson's Eldest Child Prince Graduates
- 15.05.2019 Taylor Swift Reacts to YouTubers' 'ME!'
- 19.05.2019 Unfinished Prince memoir gets publication date
- 15.05.2019 'Daisy Jones & the Six' goes behind the music
- 15.05.2019 P!nk and Stormzy Continue U.K. Chart Reigns
- 15.05.2019 Halsey Announces New Single 'Nightmare'
- 14.05.2019 Grandmaster Flash wins Polar Music Prize
- 14.05.2019 New releases from Amanda Palmer, Stella Donnelly
- 19.05.2019 Hozier talks about new album 'Wasteland, Baby!'
- 14.05.2019 Myspace loses 50 million songs
Back to news