GRLwood Serves Up Kentucky Fried Queer Punk
"I was like, this song isnt lyrically discussing a queer or trans issue. But it is, because its coming from my perspective, whether Im talking about being trans or not."
When I met with Lynn Rose and bass player Raven Blessinger at Spinellis, it was at a show. The spacious basement restaurant often doubles as an underground indie venue.
When I arrived, the female-fronted TraumaxQueen was finishing up. Rose is up on the floor moving, jumping and bouncing. Shes not quite slam dancing, but her energy definitely screams hardcore.
At 20 years old, Rose has spent four years in Louisvilles hardcore scene. She started Transgression to address a very specific absence she saw.
I didnt really see a huge presence of queer people in the scene, Rose said. At least, it wasnt something that was vocally discussed in music.
So in the time-honored tradition of hardcore, she started a band with her friends, several of whom didnt initially play instruments. In addition to Rose and Blessinger, Transgression is rounded out by Blake Herbert, Seth Lewis and Kamal Ali.
On their website, they call themselves a collective of queers, screaming, yelling, and refusing to be silenced.
Making the scene queer-friendly is a goal for Transgression, and that includes trying to make sure that the under-21 crowd is able to see queer people on stage. That underage crowd is a big part of the hardcore scene, according to Blessinger: I feel like they are a pretty considerable part of the scene more than half are under 21.
The hardcore scene is doubly important for queer kids. Its a place to get away from heteronormativity.
Blessingers initial interest in the hardcore scene was just as much about finding a place to get away from abuse at home as it was about the music. Rose admits there is so much more work to be done, but says the collective feels like they are making progress.
- 22.05.2019 Selena Gomez at Cannes 2019
- 22.05.2019 Here Are the Lyrics to Taylor Swift's 'ME!,'
- 22.05.2019 Why Gwyneth Paltrow Has Worked Hard'
- 20.05.2019 Netherlands wins Eurovision
- 22.05.2019 Julia Roberts Reveals Why Shes Never Watched Game of Thrones
- 22.05.2019 Elton John: 'Being a performer saved my life'
- 22.05.2019 Shakira and Carlos Vives beat plagiarism case
- 20.05.2019 Taylor Swift admits strange shower habit
- 19.05.2019 Sam Smith & Normani's 'Dancing With a Stranger' Hits No. 1
- 19.05.2019 Michael Jackson's Eldest Child Prince Graduates
- 15.05.2019 Taylor Swift Reacts to YouTubers' 'ME!'
- 19.05.2019 Unfinished Prince memoir gets publication date
- 15.05.2019 'Daisy Jones & the Six' goes behind the music
- 15.05.2019 P!nk and Stormzy Continue U.K. Chart Reigns
- 15.05.2019 Halsey Announces New Single 'Nightmare'
- 14.05.2019 Grandmaster Flash wins Polar Music Prize
- 14.05.2019 New releases from Amanda Palmer, Stella Donnelly
- 19.05.2019 Hozier talks about new album 'Wasteland, Baby!'
- 14.05.2019 Myspace loses 50 million songs
- 14.05.2019 Kanye West gets booed at Bonnaroo
Back to news