Miley Cyrus Updated The Santa Baby Lyrics For The
"Santa baby, Id love to know my ass wont get grabbed
By some ignorant jerk
Tell the dirtbags, to put away their chimneys tonight."
This year the lyrics to Christmas classics like "Baby, It's Cold Outside" and "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" have been called into question. Thursday night on "The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon," Miley Cyrus made some changes of her own to "Santa Baby."
The original, released by Eartha Kitt in 1953, was a little racy, as Cyrus points out to Fallon before they go on stage to perform. "I think I might need to change some of these lyrics," she decided. "Am I saying I'm going to hook up with Santa if he buys me all this stuff?"
The pop singer decided to take matters into her own hands and altered the lyrics for the #MeToo era. What made the skit more hilarious, however, was that Fallon and pal Mark Ronson didn't get the memo. They continued to perform planned movements to the original lyrics and tried to keep up with the numerous changes Cyrus made.
Her revised version, though, is much more empowered. Miley doesn't need Santa to buy her these things because she makes her own money! "Don't want diamonds, cash, or stuff," she sings midway through her version. "Nothing that comes in a box. No more fluff. I've had enough. And I can buy my own damn stuff."
She also adds in some lyrics about the #MeToo and Time's Up movements. "A girl's best friend is equal pay," she says, before addressing workplace harassment. "Santa Baby, I'd love to know my ass won't get grabbed at work by some ignorant jerk."
These are lyrics we can get behind. Watch Cyrus perform her version of "Santa Baby" for yourself, below.
This song is one of a few holiday tunes our culture is revisiting from a post-MeToo lens. Another example is "Baby It's Cold Outside," which is about a man who tries to stop a woman from leaving his house even though it seems that she wants to.
- 22.05.2019 Selena Gomez at Cannes 2019
- 22.05.2019 Here Are the Lyrics to Taylor Swift's 'ME!,'
- 22.05.2019 Why Gwyneth Paltrow Has Worked Hard'
- 20.05.2019 Netherlands wins Eurovision
- 22.05.2019 Julia Roberts Reveals Why Shes Never Watched Game of Thrones
- 22.05.2019 Elton John: 'Being a performer saved my life'
- 22.05.2019 Shakira and Carlos Vives beat plagiarism case
- 20.05.2019 Taylor Swift admits strange shower habit
- 19.05.2019 Sam Smith & Normani's 'Dancing With a Stranger' Hits No. 1
- 19.05.2019 Michael Jackson's Eldest Child Prince Graduates
- 15.05.2019 Taylor Swift Reacts to YouTubers' 'ME!'
- 19.05.2019 Unfinished Prince memoir gets publication date
- 15.05.2019 'Daisy Jones & the Six' goes behind the music
- 15.05.2019 P!nk and Stormzy Continue U.K. Chart Reigns
- 15.05.2019 Halsey Announces New Single 'Nightmare'
- 14.05.2019 Grandmaster Flash wins Polar Music Prize
- 14.05.2019 New releases from Amanda Palmer, Stella Donnelly
- 19.05.2019 Hozier talks about new album 'Wasteland, Baby!'
- 14.05.2019 Myspace loses 50 million songs
- 14.05.2019 Kanye West gets booed at Bonnaroo
Back to news