LFREAQ Gets Freaky In New Video
"This song is about concealing oneself; it could be from a lover or a friend, but in my case I wrote it about those who dont know the real me over social media, only a self that I choose to project, LFREAQ tells BUST of the track, called Moonlight."
The artists upcoming EP was mixed and produced by Mike Irish. LFREAQs mom, photographer Kelly Cappelli, shot all the cover and promotional art and executive produced the video. The album focuses on themes of self-discovery, liberation, and adventure, and shortly after its release, LFREAQ will be on tour.
Keep up with the artist on Facebook, Twitter, and Soundcloud, and check out the video below, exclusively on BUST.
I had the pleasure of interviewing LFREAQ, which is the alias of Brooklyn-based singer/songwriter Lea Cappelli...
Thank you so much for joining us! Can you tell us a story about what brought you to this specific career path?
Igrew up an only child in Arizona with a fantastically artistic mother. She painted me, photographed me, and let me watch her create. This naturally led me to seek my own talents, which instead of using my hands to create art, was my voice. My mother brought me to vocal lessons at a very young age, where originally I was convinced I would be an opera singer. Then, at 12 years old, I discovered jazz. And at 16, started writing my own music. It was a long progression.
Can you share the most interesting story that occurred to you in the course of your music career?
When I performed for Muhammad Ali at a small dinner party of eight, I was nervous. I sang and played guitar for him, and we sat down to eat dinner together. At the time the only thing he could eat after dark was ice cream. I couldnt believe I was in the presence of such a legend. I was nervous to look at him the whole night, so I kept my head down while the guests chatted. Finally, I mustered the courage to look up at him. He turned to me and winked.
What are some of the most interesting or exciting projects you are working on now?
My new five song EP, Weird Awakenings, has been an incredible journey to create. Weve made a detailed music video for each of the three singles, with the upcoming single New Skin as one of my favorites. Im very visually inclined so its fun to watch the songs come to life. We went through a lot to make each one, especially Moonlight, where I was hanging in rope bondage for hours. That was a shoot Ill never forget. It became so painful after so long of being suspended that I had to have all six people on set help hoist me down.
You are a person of great influence. If you could start a movement that would bring the most amount of good to the most amount of people, what would that be? You never know what your idea can trigger.
Acceptance! There is too much intolerance in this world nowadays. Being raised with the internet is both a blessing and a curse. There is unlimited knowledge at your fingertips, but so much hatred that comes with it. Part of the LFREAQ name, like anti-bullying and access to the arts, is also simply about accepting people for who they are.
"Dont be surprised if the song strikes you as a fitting intro to a certain franchise of action films; After listening multiple times, the song started sounding more and more Bond-like, says Cappelli. We wanted to pay homage to the original Bond intros while still keeping the emotional integrity of the track."
- 18.02.2019 Emma Stone & Haim Recreated Spice Girls Video
- 18.02.2019 Maren Morris Holds Her Head High In New GIRL Video
- 26.01.2019 Missy Elliott, John Prine, Yusuf/Cat Stevens Among 2019 Songwriters
- 26.01.2019 Justin Timberlake Surprises Atlanta Crowd With T.I.
- 25.01.2019 Kelly Rowland Talks 2019 Album
- 14.01.2019 NFL Confirms Maroon 5, Travis Scott & Big Boi to Perform at Super Bowl
- 25.01.2019 Demi Lovato Responds to Rumors About Her Recovery
- 14.01.2019 GRLwood Serves Up Kentucky Fried Queer Punk
- 23.01.2019 Miley Cyrus Updated The Santa Baby Lyrics For The
- 14.01.2019 JoJo Re-Recorded Her Debut Album
- 14.01.2019 Nicki Minaj Is Being Compared To Lil Kim In New Vogue
- 09.01.2019 Two Beyoncé Albums Were Leaked On Spotify
- 23.01.2019 The Biggest Music Releases To Get Excited About In 2019
- 09.01.2019 Kathy Griffin Calls Out No Women Among Top-Paid Comedians
- 25.12.2018 Gwen Stefani heading to demo about concert stampede
- 25.12.2018 Jennifer Lopez understands Alex Rodriguez marriage speculation
- 25.12.2018 Megan Fox Thought She Wouldnt Be A Sympathetic Victim For #MeToo
- 25.12.2018 Please Dont Let Miley Cyrus Make Another Hip-Hop Album
- 23.12.2018 Taylor Swift and Joe Alwyn Might Get Engaged Soon
- 23.12.2018 Britney Spears Meets Nine Inch Nails On Betta Lemmes New Track
Back to news