Janet Jackson Delivers Emotional Me Too Speech At MTV
Janet Jackson recently appeared at the 2018 MTV European Music Awards on Sunday, to accept the Global Icon Award. During her acceptance speech, the legendary performer delivered a powerful message referencing the Me Too movement and gender inequality around the world.
"I accept this award with profound gratitude. To be called an icon is a tremendous honor but one that comes with a tremendous responsibility."
Over the past year, Jackson has used her performances and stage moments to highlight current social justice issues, including sexual violence and police brutality.
I am one of those women. Women who have been gagged, both literally and emotionally. Women who have been abused. Women who have been intimidated. Women who have lived in fear.
Seemingly throwing her support behind the MeToo movement, she continued: I stand with you. You are my sisters.
The actress then went on to say she hopes a new world is emerging in which gender inequality will no longer be tolerated.
Women, our voices will be heard, we will be heard. When we speak out for justice, she passionately added.
Speak out for the spirit, speak out for spirit that crosses all borders, recognises the dignity of all people and affirms the beauty of all faiths.
Speak out for acts of true charity, small and large, speak out for an all embracing love because its love that will heal our wounds, to come to one anothers aid, so lets lift our voices.Lets start today and let the ever amazing love of God lead the way. With all my heart, I thank you God, I thank all of my fans.
Her heartfelt speech was greatly praised by viewers watching at home, many of who flocked to Twitter to discuss the stars message.
Jackson also called for a more united and tolerant world...
"Tonight I carry the hope that a new world is emerging, she continued. A world in which caring people, male as well as female, will no longer tolerate gender inequality. Women, our voices will be heard when we speak out for justice."
- 22.05.2019 Selena Gomez at Cannes 2019
- 22.05.2019 Here Are the Lyrics to Taylor Swift's 'ME!,'
- 22.05.2019 Why Gwyneth Paltrow Has Worked Hard'
- 20.05.2019 Netherlands wins Eurovision
- 22.05.2019 Julia Roberts Reveals Why Shes Never Watched Game of Thrones
- 22.05.2019 Elton John: 'Being a performer saved my life'
- 22.05.2019 Shakira and Carlos Vives beat plagiarism case
- 20.05.2019 Taylor Swift admits strange shower habit
- 19.05.2019 Sam Smith & Normani's 'Dancing With a Stranger' Hits No. 1
- 19.05.2019 Michael Jackson's Eldest Child Prince Graduates
- 15.05.2019 Taylor Swift Reacts to YouTubers' 'ME!'
- 19.05.2019 Unfinished Prince memoir gets publication date
- 15.05.2019 'Daisy Jones & the Six' goes behind the music
- 15.05.2019 P!nk and Stormzy Continue U.K. Chart Reigns
- 15.05.2019 Halsey Announces New Single 'Nightmare'
- 14.05.2019 Grandmaster Flash wins Polar Music Prize
- 14.05.2019 New releases from Amanda Palmer, Stella Donnelly
- 19.05.2019 Hozier talks about new album 'Wasteland, Baby!'
- 14.05.2019 Myspace loses 50 million songs
- 14.05.2019 Kanye West gets booed at Bonnaroo
Back to news