A Sit Down With DJ Wally Lopez
Well known as a DJ, radio host, producer and Spanish entrepreneur Wally Lopez, he is actually much more than all of that. He is also, and above all, an incurably curious person. At a very early age, thirteen to be precise, and driven by that curiosity to see something and want to know how it was done, he began his journey along the music path.
"The only thing I want is to be happy and happy with my music."
Who is the first Dj that got you to be a Dj?
I think is Oscar Mulero. In Madrid he is like a religion. At that time we didnt have internet, so you didnt have any idea of who was who, but it was incredible how in Madrid everybody was talking about Oscar and how they admired him. To be honest, I learnt a lot from Oscar and from Ike, from both. They started in Omen at 12h till the end, they were residents with a capital R, which has lost. We try to bring it back this summer with Heart, and the night would have the same musical harmony. The residence essence has to come back.
Do you play to the crowd when you DJ, or just play what you want?
The most important thing is to transmit a good flow to the crowd. Connecting with the crowd is the most important reason why you are playing, but I always try to offer a mix between them. My intention has been always to play to the crowd with my own music style. Moreover, every DJ must feel good with his music.
What are you focusing on in the music right now?
Im producing again like crazy, I have releases coming out on Global Underground and Yoshitoshi, Flash Mob, great labels. Ive been doing this more than half my life, so its up and down. Sometimes you want to do more music, sometimes you want to travel a lot, so now I am trying to be more focused on making music again.
How would you describe the music?
Nowadays it's really difficult to describe the music style of someone. There are lots of genres inside the electronic music and most DJs are not purist when they play. So, most of them mix tracks of differing styles. But if I had to describe my stuff I would say it's a mix of house, tech house and techno.
What have been some of your favorite moments in your career?
I have so many favorite moments. For instance I always remember the opening and closing nights of Space Ibiza. And I used to play in a car park. It was like a festival, 7000 people. The car park was the best, it was only special for opening and closing.
What keeps you excited after all your years doing this?
My passion for music and my addiction to playing and production. I have been a music lover since I was young. This is one of the most important reasons why I'm still having fun when I play music because I still feel like a child! Another reason is the good vibe that the crowd offer me when I'm playing. The feeling is just, well, indescribable.
What tips do you have for any DJs out there dreaming about being big stars In Ibiza?
First of all, it is important to not want to be a big star; I reckon that is a big limitation for somebody just starting out. For me, this job is still my hobby, I used to say that I got paid for all the travelling and being on a plane while they let me have fun playing music in a club. DJs should always remember that it's all about fun and music culture, not just about wanting to be famous.
- 24.03.2019 MIGOS AND DJ MUSTARD TAKE OVER A WAREHOUSE
- 24.03.2019 SOMEONE ASKED BEBE REXHA TO COVER HER STRETCH MARKS
- 07.03.2019 Rita Ora channels Britney Spears as she shows downfall
- 28.02.2019 Ryan Adams guitarist Todd Wisenbacker
- 28.02.2019 Jenny Lewis is deeply troubled by Ryan Adams sexual misconduct allegations
- 07.03.2019 Red Hot Chili Peppers Flea entertains crowd with handstands
- 28.02.2019 Lady Gaga slept through Oscar nomination announcement
- 28.02.2019 Can We Please Talk About Katy Perry's Engagement Ring?
- 19.02.2019 Sam Smith Is Reclaiming His "Curves" And Fighting "The Fuck Back"
- 07.03.2019 Mariah Carey Thought The Chainsmokers Were One Direction
- 19.02.2019 Ciara's New Song "Greatest Love" Is Perfect And Really Personal
- 28.02.2019 Pornhub Released A Valentine's Day Album, And It's Not Great
- 07.03.2019 BLACKPINK Finally Has Tour Dates Across North America
- 18.02.2019 Emma Stone & Haim Recreated Spice Girls Video
- 18.02.2019 Maren Morris Holds Her Head High In New GIRL Video
- 28.02.2019 Teyana Taylors Ballroom Take On Cinderella
- 28.02.2019 Bebe Rexha Calls Out Designers
- 28.02.2019 Chris Brown Plans To Sue Rape Accuser For Defamation
- 26.01.2019 Missy Elliott, John Prine, Yusuf/Cat Stevens Among 2019 Songwriters
- 26.01.2019 Justin Timberlake Surprises Atlanta Crowd With T.I.
Back to news